Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=99589

Definately trowbridge...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:
Then leaving the car park I dropped it as I panicked at a junction (completely empty junction) it but I'm pleased I did because it kind of made me realise that I was being a div. Photo from yesterday to prove I really did it!!

Not to worry, I very nearly dropped my 125 on my first emergency stop with a full tank of fuel. It probably won't be your last so it's good practice knowing how to pickup a bike* Smile

*try to look helpless and get someone else to do it Thumbs Up

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
SomersetWolf wrote:
Then leaving the car park I dropped it as I panicked at a junction (completely empty junction) it but I'm pleased I did because it kind of made me realise that I was being a div. Photo from yesterday to prove I really did it!!

Not to worry, I very nearly dropped my 125 on my first emergency stop with a full tank of fuel. It probably won't be your last so it's good practice knowing how to pickup a bike* Smile

*try to look helpless and get someone else to do it Thumbs Up

It's blinking heavy isn't it? There was a nice family passing who jumped out to help Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 125 the Vara's quite heavy Smile Nearly 170kg I believe, where I think CG's/YBR's are 125-130kg.

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
For a 125 the Vara's quite heavy Smile Nearly 170kg I believe, where I think CG's/YBR's are 125-130kg.

It was even heavier as I was trying to paddle it backwards out of my drive for the first time, ignition off and ...... in gear! I won't do that again #TotalIdiot

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news that you're getting used to it Thumbs Up

Regarding the whole front/rear brake fiasco going on. I only really use the rear brake for slow speed and if I am going into a corner a little too hot. Otherwise front brake all the way. Although this is all null and void as my brakes are linked on the Blackbird.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:11 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Nearly 170kg .

Haha!! Holy shit - did Honda use bar for the frame rather than tube??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:36 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Nearly 170kg .

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Haha!! Holy shit - did Honda use bar for the frame rather than tube??

Bikez put it at 152Kg dry. (other sources quote 'close' if not the same)
So, perhaps not quite as bad, as suggested, but still on the porky side... And the 'wet' weight,probably isn't far off, when filled with fluids, given it's water-cooled for starters, but probably more significantly, has a four and a half gallon fuel tank!

DAT be big! Crikey I don't think that my 750 holds that much! Snowies certainly doesn't! But, MCN suggest it only manages about (I assume 'average'!) 65mpg, though Shocked so maybe it needs it! (Uses more fuel than my 750!!)

Petrol weighs about 0.75Kg/liter, and the Vera takes just shy of 17l So a full tank of petrol adds over 12Kg to the all-up weight. I dont know how much cooling water it'll hold, I wouldn't expect much more than a couple of litres, or Kg, so fuel will be the largest bit of any discrepancy between dry and kerb and wet weights. Kerb weights normally only use a 1/2 full petrol tank as 'average', but even a 'wet' weight fully fueled, would be stretching to to get up to 170Kg... but still... it's close a bludy nuff!

Hefty beast for a tiddler! And 'tis a bulky thing , with that adventure sport styling trying to hide how weeny the engine actually is, and the Center-of-Gravity lifted unnecessarily high to suit. (Seat height over 31"!)

For comparison, Bikez put the air-cooled CB125TD 'twin', at 114Kg 'dry', the air-cooled single, CG125 at 99Kg; both of which will have lighter kerb-weights thanks to not needing to be filled with water, and not having such a gargantuan fuel tank, only around 3-gallons, and quoted MPG's for either commonly around the 100 mark!!

Did you ever measure the mpg you got from your CB125? I've offered suggestion often enough that I can see ours down in the 70's, if I'm a little err... 'enthusiastic'. Snowie, has tended to get much better and usually averaged something in the 90's, when she's been watching it for work... So 65mpg from the Vera? Looks rather dire, but? It is a heavy bike, it does have a lot of bulk; it is tall and has wide bars, and little engine probably takes some thrashing to keep the plot hustling; it could be that low, on average, given stop-start round the houses work, dragging possible down, and the frontal area, not seeing it lift much or any when you try holding highway speeds.

Always been a bike I have struggled to recommend, despite its fan-base. It was probably THE most expensive 125 in the show-rooms when new, which was at least 8 years ago , unless you buy-grey. (MCN quote £4.5K! About as much as a CB500 would have been stickered up at next to it on the sales floor!) It's also one of the most mechanically convoluted and intricate; and with so much mechanical 'hidden' beneath the styling; its major saving grace has been the original build quality of a flag-ship model, and price that has discouraged less mature / affluent buyers, so they have tended not to be as sore used as so many cheaper 125', but, with so much more mechanics, so much more out-of-sight-out-of-mind, and hence likely to be ignored or neglected until something goes wrong, they are, as even the youngest approach the end of their presumed normal service life of 7-10 years, to my mind a grenade looking for somewhere to happen! A rather heavy grenade!

Got to give the girl credit for picking the thing back up and getting back on it! (Memo-to-Self; Avoid Zomerzet! Not sure I want to tackle militant woman irked at feeling patronized, who can bench-press a 125 Vera!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol yeah - I'll be watching what I say as well. Although I appreciate there are fans of the Verydearo here and elsewhere, it always struck me as a bike that's far too heavy for what it is. and - of course - way too dear. It seems to do away with what's great about the 125 class - affordable (both to buy and to fuel), and is small in dimension and thus manageability. I'm neither particularly short, nor light - but I'd much prefer something like a CG. As for my mpg on my cb125td, I don't know. It always seemed so negligible that I never bothered to work it out!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Got to give the girl credit for picking the thing back up and getting back on it! (Memo-to-Self; Avoid Zomerzet! Not sure I want to tackle militant woman irked at feeling patronized, who can bench-press a 125 Vera!)

Ha and credit back to you for taking my remarks in good humour.

PS I didn't bench press it! Weighing about 70kgs (me - I'm no tiddler) I struggled to lift it past ankle height so roped in a passing driver who thankfully also happened to be a biker, the husband of someone I know and was incredibly kind making sure the bike and I were both fine before heading off. But the ride home felt all the sweeter as I kind of knew then that I'd be okay at this riding lark. Me bruises are pretty too!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo lift an R1200GS using the power of girly backsides. I believe that's very nearly as heavy as your 'dearo. Whistle

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ability to pick up a heavy bike is directly proportional to how many people are watching....

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Your ability to pick up a heavy bike is directly proportional to how many people are watching....

Does that include those hiding in the bushes stalking you?

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:12 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Solo lift an R1200GS using the power of girly backsides. I believe that's very nearly as heavy as your 'dearo. Whistle

Blimey! That makes me feel like a proper wuss now. Challenge accepted.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Bikez put it at 152Kg dry.

As does Wikipedia, who also list the wet weight (169kg):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_XL125V_Varadero
Don't let that get in the way of a good teffing though Wink

I'd probably struggle to pick one up, I've picked up my 125, but completely failed to pickup the MT-03 @ 191kg (I had to phone a friend Embarassed).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what you can pick up, against a slope, when petrol is pissing out all over the place and there's no one around to help Embarassed
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's amazing what you can pick up, against a slope, when petrol is pissing out all over the place and there's no one around to help Embarassed

This perfectly described my, so far, one time off on road Smile

EDIT:

OK, not quite perfect. My bike only weighed 117kg. But it was quite steep and I was getting covered in fuel with my legs under the bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer thou, wet weight approx 230kgs Shocked

I was in Wales, and badly strained my dodgy shoulder doing it. Fortunately, the bike hadn't come down on top of me - it just got away from me while stupidly trying to turn round on a steep slope, and I couldn't hold it up. Went back to the campsite for the night, and took MANY painkillers to get me back home to London next day!

I am certain if I tried again, I couldn't do it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drive runs slightly downhill towards the pavement. Yesterday leaving for work, bike on side stand after I locked the garage.

Sit on it and lean forward to adjust the mirror.

Side stand goes, bike rolls forward and tips past the furthest point I've ever had it standing still.

Still got a massive steel skip on my left from home improvements recently. Somehow managed to stop it with my left leg and wrestle it back upright.

I don't think I could do that under normal conditions. 232kg Dry. (I weigh 70!)

SomersetWolf
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had such a lovely little pootle on the bike today. Only third time out and I relaxed, tried not to over-think, kept my head up and pointed my chin where I wanted to go and most importantly didn't panic. Having read so so so many posts about nervous newbies (here and elsewhere) I finally decided just to breathe and to enjoy. And it seemed to work. Whoop.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:
Had such a lovely little pootle on the bike today. Only third time out and I relaxed, tried not to over-think, kept my head up and pointed my chin where I wanted to go and most importantly didn't panic. Having read so so so many posts about nervous newbies (here and elsewhere) I finally decided just to breathe and to enjoy. And it seemed to work. Whoop.

Good job. Just keep working at it, one step at a time. You will get more and more hooked as you improve. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:40 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Tef's more lucid comments is: stop thinking, start riding.

That's really about all there is to it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SomersetWolf wrote:

Well done, that's the first and main barrier cracked. It's like learning anything new really. Some frustration to begin with; "Why can't I do this?!" and then it just clicks.

Next barrier: Oh no, I can't ride a big bike! Yes, you can. It's easier than riding small bikes. Not that a Varadero is particularly small physically - so you're half way there already Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4