Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Licence issue.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

winchman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Licence issue. Reply with quote

Sorry this must have been asked to death.
Passed my car test in 1987 ish.
Rode bikes for a few more years but never took my test, hung the helmet up about 1991.
Now I an on old codger and don't have to cart the kids about anymore I suddenly have a collection of Hondas finest creations, A ST70, CF70 and a Hybrid of the two.( oh and a Chinese copy that I just haven't got around to selling)
So what can I ride on the road and how?
To be honest I will only using them for the odd show, if I bought a proper bike I would poo my pants.
Been looking at the Chaly threads but why can't I see the pictures?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as a new rider. You'll need a CBT and you can ride a 125 on L plates.

winchman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Same as a new rider. You'll need a CBT and you can ride a 125 on L plates.

I did wonder that but my licence was issued it was Under 50cc, no L plates, then it was a provisional for other stuff, but CBT wasn't invented, I assumed wrongly perhaps as I had an old farts licence I wouldn't need it?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, you had to have passed your car license before 2000(ish), and that entitlement is only for Mopeds, 49cc and 28mph. Must display L's.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:36 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you still have the bike category as a provisional entitlement, grandfather rights mean you can still ride anything up to 125 with L plates without having to do CBT.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
IIRC, you had to have passed your car license before 2000(ish), and that entitlement is only for Mopeds, 49cc and 28mph. Must display L's.

My car test gave me moped as a full category and indefinite provisional on a bike.

The only reason I ever did a CBT is because it's a pre-requisite for taking your test.

winchman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

My car test gave me moped as a full category and indefinite provisional on a bike.

The only reason I ever did a CBT is because it's a pre-requisite for taking your test.

Thanks my licence is a paper one and it shows provisions; for motor bikes

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that with an old-farts license, you can ride a moped without L-plates but with a CBT, which doesn't expire.

Anything bigger, you need a CBT, renewed every two years as per normal, plus L plates. The grandfather rights don't remove your need for a CBT.

Edit - No, you don't need a CBT for a moped with a pre-2000 licenses, but needing one for a bigger bike is correct.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/car-driving-licence

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 Rog ...and/or Tef (extolling the virtues of time on a little bike, without answering OPs question.) Idea

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Tritey?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
My understanding is that with an old-farts license, you can ride a moped without L-plates but with a CBT, which doesn't expire.

Anything bigger, you need a CBT, renewed every two years as per normal, plus L plates. The grandfather rights don't remove your need for a CBT.

Edit - No, you don't need a CBT for a moped with a pre-2000 licenses, but needing one for a bigger bike is correct.

It says that you need CBT to active it. If it's already active because you had the category as a provisional (after gaining full licence for, example, a vehicle up to 8 tons) it doesn't need activiating. Therefore no need for CBT

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Pre-2001 to be pedantic, from 1st Feb' of that year you needed a CBT you validate your moped entitlement.

I believe pretty much everyone needs a CBT to ride a 125, iirc Tef' mentioned there was a short period in the early eighties where you effectively got permanent learner entitlement, but I wasn't alive then so my memory's a little hazy Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:04 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Fucknut wordspewer mentioned there was a short period in the early eighties where you effectively got permanent learner entitlement, but I wasn't alive then so my memory's a little hazy Wink

I was and it wasn't a short period in the 80s, there wasat least a decade of decades from where the part one licence was introduced and CBT came to pass.

Edit: it appears that grandfather rights were over-ruled in 1997...

https://www.lightningmctraining.co.uk/changes-motorcycle-learner-law

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:13 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poundland Tritey thread.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1