Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC750X)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which bike?
Honda CB500X
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Honda NC750X
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Kawasaki Versys-650
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 18

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:37 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC750X) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first post here, so lemme know, if I should change sth/post elsewhere.

TL;DR: Honda CB500X vs NC750X vs Kawasaky Versys-650 for a rider with 4 years on a Kawasaki KLR250 (couple months/year only).

I'm 25, 5'11'', 176 pounds. Have had a license for 5 years, have been riding my Kawasaki KLR250 mostly off-road and just short distances (doing over 100 miles was just really uncomfortable). Otherwise I was very happy with my almost 20 year old bike. I sold it almost a year ago, haven't ridden since.

I want something mostly for riding around town and weekend trips around Scotland. (Glasgow-Inverness, so about 200 miles), and the occasional trip to England (400+ miles).

I want to buy a brand new bike. I was thinking of getting either the CB500X or the NC750X, as they seem to be very efficient reliable bikes. Given that my only experience is on a 16kW KLR250, they both will probably feel very powerful for me, despite many people complaining that they are boring, no?

Alternatively, I've been considering the Kawasaki Versys-650 (or even the Versys-300?), but it will cost way more to buy and maintain.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited by 111111222222222 on 12:31 - 07 May 2017; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ none of the above.

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:51 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
^ none of the above.

useless response
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

Ahoy, it's a perfectly sensible question. We do get a lot of people wanting to have their choice validated rather than really asking a question, so please excuse any cynicism.

You should have no problems shifting to a bigger bike. I swapped my ickle 125 for a GPZ500 and was comfortable on it by the time I'd reached the end of the road.

l8machine wrote:
I want something mostly for riding around town and weekend trips around Scotland. (Glasgow-Inverness, so about 200 miles), and the occasional trip to England (400+ miles). Off-road here and there, but nothing too crazy.

That sounds like two bikes to me. A KLR250 equivalent with knobblies for offroad larks; plus something heavy, stable and faired or with a big screen with road tyres for the long hauls. This is where we all start shouting out our favourite 500cc+ hacks. Wink

I would not want to take any of my bikes offroad. They're all too lardy and even the "80/20" Battlewing tyres on the GS are really just mediocre road tyres that can just about cope with firm gravel. Damp grass or soft ground, forget it.

l8machine wrote:
or even the Versys-300?

Huh, that's new. Literally. Wet weight is "to be confirmed", which isn't hopeful. Suzuki's new Inazuma based V-Strom 250 is 188kg wet. That's also a thanks-but-no-thanks for offroad. [UPDATE] Looks like the Versys will be pushing 180kg with ABS, before adding any accessories or crash protection.

What's your budget, and are two bikes a possibility?

Aside, where are you off-roading near Glasgow? The local East Kilbride feds seem to take a dim view of it. I'll understand if you don't want to broadcast it. Shhh!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

l8machine wrote:
M.C wrote:
^ none of the above.

useless response

Useless list, they're all shit and only good for the trip down to Dignitas.

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:29 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ahoy, it's a perfectly sensible question. We do get a lot of people wanting to have their choice validated rather than really asking a question, so please excuse any cynicism.

What's your budget, and are two bikes a possibility?

Aside, where are you off-roading near Glasgow? The local East Kilbride feds seem to take a dim view of it. I'll understand if you don't want to broadcast it. Shhh!

I probably shouldn't have mentioned off-roading. I've never done it in the UK, and wouldn't even know where to go. And you're absolutely right, that none of the options I mentioned will be good for any if that. I just want a comfortable bike for weekend trips. If I ever decide to get back in to it, I'll get a KLX 250 or equivalent, but not any time soon.

As for budget. I don't have one per say, and if there was a good reason to spend £12k on a bike, I could. But given that I don't want something too big, I was thinking 6-8k.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, fair enough.

To be honest, any of your candidate bikes will do just fine. I use a faux-offroader as a general purpose bike; the neutral riding position is all day comfortable. 400 miles days are just fine.

Smaller bikes are fun, but I'd want at least a 500 for long trips. My GPZ500 was just about the minimum I'd want to use on a motorway, a CB500 variant will be similar. It's a bit lower capacity and down on power, but it gets decent long distance trip reports.

Bikes are very personal, so I'd suggest that you try out your candidates and see which one you prefer, rather than which one we like - someone here will recommend any of them, because like most modern bikes, they're all very decent.

I really can't fault my midi-GS for your purpose, by the way (the 800 twin, not the old 650 single). I can't say that I love it like my other bikes, but I can't find any reason to change it, especially on a wet windy day.

The Tiger 955 would be another decent candidate. Don't fret about the power, it'll only go as fast as you tell it to.

Sorry that this isn't particularly helpful, but my takeaway point is that there are very few bad choices in the 500 sector for your purposes. What a time to be alive. Wink

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:19 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ah, fair enough.

To be honest, any of your candidate bikes will do just fine. I use a faux-offroader as a general purpose bike; the neutral riding position is all day comfortable. 400 miles days are just fine.

Smaller bikes are fun, but I'd want at least a 500 for long trips. My GPZ500 was just about the minimum I'd want to use on a motorway, a CB500 variant will be similar. It's a bit lower capacity and down on power, but it gets decent long distance trip reports.

Bikes are very personal, so I'd suggest that you try out your candidates and see which one you prefer, rather than which one we like - someone here will recommend any of them, because like most modern bikes, they're all very decent.

I really can't fault my midi-GS for your purpose, by the way (the 800 twin, not the old 650 single). I can't say that I love it like my other bikes, but I can't find any reason to change it, especially on a wet windy day.

The Tiger 955 would be another decent candidate. Don't fret about the power, it'll only go as fast as you tell it to.

Sorry that this isn't particularly helpful, but my takeaway point is that there are very few bad choices in the 500 sector for your purposes. What a time to be alive. Wink

Thanks. I'm test-riding the Hondas next week, and the Kawasaki the week after. It's just a pain that none of the shops have demo units in stock, so I have to wait to get the bike, when I have the money and want it yesterday! Cheers for the advice.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you all think I voted for the NC750X... I didn't Very Happy

Unless you want it for the specific reason it exists, commuting, I'd look at something else, hence the Versys vote. The NC does it's job and does it well it's just probably not the bike you're looking for (waves hand).

Numerous people have toured on the NC with no issues at all, they're perfectly capable of that, 2 up, with luggage. A group did the North Coast 500 a couple of months and had no complaints. You're not racing around if you're doing something like that, you're taking in the views. One of the riders on the NC forum has done over 140k miles in just under 3 years, so reliability isn't an issue. Short shifting isn't an issue for me, I suspect it wouldn't for you either but some people appear to require an automatic a bike that you don't need to take out of first gear during daily riding.

Try out all those bikes, I think you'll find the Versys bubbles to the top regardless of what I've put above. It'll do what the NC does, but give you the additional option of 'punching it' which you wouldn't have on the NC. I think you might find the 500X runs out of puff quickly, even though it revs higher than the NC.

For the money you're looking at spending, perhaps also consider the Tracer 700 or push your budget a little higher to the Tracer 900 - though you'd lose the economy of the 700 if you did.

I'm glad you identified the value of MC's comment quickly. This skill will be invaluable during your time here.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer 700 I'd wager will be a worthy addition to your list. Don't get an NC750, it's half a Jazz engine, and it's about half as much fun as a Jazz too.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
it's half a Jazz engine

No it isn't.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I'm glad you identified the value of MC's comment quickly. This skill will be invaluable during your time here.

Don't get butthurt cos you've got a boring bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

Don't get butthurt cos you've got a boring bike.

Have you even got that Striple yet? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh! Should have had it today but collecting on Tuesday now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty judgemental for a bus wa​nker. Razz

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your list I'd take the Versys 650. Good choice for blasting about the twisty parts of Scotland.

I'd say
NC750 - practical choice, not the most exciting but economical and with some built in storage space.
CB500X - economical fun, probably the best off road ability of the list.
Versys - probably the most entertaining road bike of the three. It will cost a bit more in fuel but really I don't think it will be significantly more expensive to own. It'll definitely be peppier and it's nimble.

I'd definitely add the Tracer 700 into that mix,

Quote:
Aside, where are you off-roading near Glasgow? The local East Kilbride feds seem to take a dim view of it. I'll understand if you don't want to broadcast it.

People in general in EK seem to have a dim view of anything that allows anyone else to have fun. Forever narking on one another. Biggest bunch of NIMBYs I've ever come across. Drives me insane. I once knew a guy who complained to the councll about his neighbours kids using a trampoline because their heads appearing above his hedge disturbed his reading.

Last edited by kgm on 22:57 - 07 May 2017; edited 2 times in total

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'98 R1, slip the clutch you'll be reet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pretty judgemental for a bus wa​nker. Razz

Bicycle wanker Folded arms

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:56 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
I'd definitely add the Tracer 700 into that mix,

Thanks everyone for the feedback AND suggesting the Tracer. No idea why I did not consider it sooner, but it is definitely at the top of my list now, especially since they have the touring pack at £750 off right now, if you buy a new bike.

Given that I want the bike for fun weekend trips and my initial budget, going for the more practical economical Hondas does not make too much sense. I'll still go test ride all of them of course and make my decision based on that.

kraggem wrote:
People in general in EK seem to have a dim view of anything that allows anyone else to have fun. Forever narking on one another. Biggest bunch of NIMBYs I've ever come across. Drives me insane. I once knew a guy who complained to the councll about his neighbours kids using a trampoline because their heads appearing above his hedge disturbed his reading.

That is the general vibe I got when I asked around, so I decided to put off-roading aside for the time being. Shame though.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

l8machine wrote:

That is the general vibe I got when I asked around, so I decided to put off-roading aside for the time being. Shame though.

There are a couple of places like Tinto, Drumclog, etc. where you can do some off roading but it's more motocross type stuff. It is a shame, I'd love to do some real trail riding.

Hypertrax at East Kilbride is fairly entertaining for a quick fix.

Whereabouts around Glasgow are you based? Also others for the list are the Vstrom 650 and the Tiger 800 if you like that style of bike. Both are easy to ride.

I reckon the Tracer 900 is going to be my next bike, provided the mrs gets on with the pIllion position.

Last edited by kgm on 07:09 - 08 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:08 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
l8machine wrote:

There are a couple of places like Tinto, Drumclog, etc. where you can do some off roading but it's more motocross type stuff. It is a shame, I'd love to do some real trail riding.

Hypertrax at East Kilbride is fairly entertaining for a quick fix.

Whereabouts around Glasgow are you based?

Oh, cool, thanks. I'll check it out. I would definitely want to start out with trail riding!

I'm based in the Southside, but if I have a bike does it really matter?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:08 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Tiger 800

That's what I meant to say. Dunno where I got 955 from.

Good shout on the Tracer 700 too. How Suzuki can be asking £500 - £1000 more for an equivalent V-Strom baffles me.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend a GSXR 1100k
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

l8machine wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback AND suggesting the Tracer. No idea why I did not consider it sooner, but it is definitely at the top of my list now, especially since they have the touring pack at £750 off right now, if you buy a new bike.

The tracer was my first thought but I tend not to help people who get stroppy. Oh well thankfully there are others Smile

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

Not a great list of options there.
The Versys is the best of a pretty boring bunch.
You'll very quickly get bored of the CB500X, even though it's a very decent bike, but it's just not especially good at anything.
The NC750 is another very decent bike but with all the character of a washing machine.

Oh, and I fixed this for you;
l8machine wrote:
I like wasting money so i'll buy a brand new bike.

Buying a new 1st big bike usually (Not always) is a mistake.
You can't actually know what qualities you really want from a big bike until you've owned one for 6-12 months.
I get the impression that 'Finance' will be involved, So buying new just puts you in the situation where it's really difficult to change a bike for one that actually does what you want, without losing money.
You've enough experience with bikes to have learnt not to drop them the way most newbies do, so that's not so much of an issue when buying a bike with plastics.

My recommendation would be to spend £2-2.5 on your first bike.
You can get a boring bike (if you want) as it's only a learning tool to give you the knowledge of what you really want. Then consider buying a new (or nearly new) bike.
Personally I always prefer a bike which someone else has lost money on whilst they get any issues sorted, rather than buy new and get stung by dealer servicing costs whilst they wait for parts to arrive from HQ.
Plus a new bike doesn't automatically mean reliable but it does mean expensive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2