Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking to up upgrade my road bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Looking to up upgrade my road bike Reply with quote

I'm looking to up grade my road bike, i currently have a Triban 3 which i intend to keep as winter bike/turbo bike.

I looking for a carbon road bike, small frame, best spec i can get for my money.

Main for club ridings 30ish mile rides on evenings, some longer stuff at weekends. I also plan in doing the occasional sportive.

Not too bothered about disc brakes or electronic gears.

Currently seriously considering.

Canyon ultimate cf sl 9.0
Giant tcr advanced 1

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend had a TCR all last year, was very complimentary about it. They respond well to a decent set of wheels. His was Dura Ace mechanical, however I run Ultegra mechanical on my bike, and it's very good. The only thing that went wrong on his was the bottom bracket started creaking. Fairly classic with modern pressfit BB's to be honest.

You seem to get a little more with your money on the Canyon, but I've not ridden one so can't really comment. Their Aeroad is lovely though.

Personally I would say go for the Giant from somewhere local as at least you'll get back up whereas this is less likely with the Canyon as they're all mail order IIRC?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tcr is tempting, i can get from cycle surgery and they give you £200 voucher.

Canyon are online only but you get ultegra gears and the canyon only weights 7kg, the tcr has 105's and is about 500g heavier.

Magazines rate both highly.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
The tcr is tempting, i can get from cycle surgery and they give you £200 voucher.

Canyon are online only but you get ultegra gears and the canyon only weights 7kg, the tcr has 105's and is about 500g heavier.

Magazines rate both highly.

Giant Advanced 1 is all Ultegra except for rear cassette (which is 105) no? Or have I looked at the wrong one their site?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you're correct, i'm sure when i looked yesterday it said 105. That wasn't on the giant site though so maybe they'd got it wrong

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
No you're correct, i'm sure when i looked yesterday it said 105. That wasn't on the giant site though so maybe they'd got it wrong

I wouldn't stress about the cassette being 105. The shifters and rear mech are Ultegra mechanical. Technically my bike runs a Miche Primo cassette and it's still very good. The feel from the shift is mainly from the materials in the shifter and rear mech.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd read a review and they said there was no disernible difference in the feel of the ultegra over the 105 anyway.

The key differences are the ultegra is a few grams lighter here and there.

I'm sure either will be light years a head of the basic unnamed shimano group set on the triban.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:10 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly pulled the trigger on a Trek Domane.
The wider tyres, headset and whatever the contraption is on seat downtube looked appealing for the generally poor roads I use.
Disc brakes do make a lot of sense I think but electronic shifting is a bit OTT but I can see the appeal.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/domane/domane-slr-6-disc/p/1477300-2017/

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking bike, but its a bit out of my price range. I'm going to struggle justifying anything above 2k ish

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:35 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Ribble bikes? They're online bike builder is quite handy.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a nice Cube Attain GTC Race? Carbon, no discs, Ultegra components, small sizes and well under £2k.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a (refundable) deposit down on a Giant TCR Advanced 1

Got 10% off it and it comes with £200 voucher to spend in store

So i'll be having that subject to an uneventful test ride
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1