Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XSR700 Review Thingey

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

I've been rolling around on an XSR700 for the past 5 weeks and counting for one reason and another. A few seem interested in what it's like so there's a little review of it. Just note that I'm not really it's target market, but I will be as objective as I can.

The XSR700 is based on the MT07 platform. It's the hipster styled version, with a suede effect rear seat, (very) wide bars and a classic headlight.

https://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Yamaha_XSR700_ForestGreen_Static-2.jpg

This machine is all about style and the look above all else. You're buying this over an MT07 because you like the way it looks and you want something that'll look cool at the coffee stop. Personally I'm not a fan of the look. It sits too high at the front to my eye and that brake light perched on top of the rear fender as an afterthought. The quality of the paint and plastics is very cheap and flimsy. The welding on the exhaust is crude and on my example some of the anodised black bolts are starting to go a bluey tinge. That said, it's cheaply finished because it's cheap. £6,599 is the RRP I bet with a bit of haggling you could get a bit off of that, or put it on a PCP deal.

Once you start it up and get rolling at normal speeds it's passable. The forks are under damped and under sprung, but at least Yamaha had the forethought to fit brakes that don't offer much in the way of outright stopping power. I'm sure that this could be sorted with a new set of pads, but then you'd be overwhelming the forks even more. It's a similar story with the rear shock. The spring isn't so bad, but again there's very little in the way to damping meaning it pogos around even when not battering on.

The engine is a loveable little lump. It's smooth for the most part. Giving it full gas at low rpm in a high gear results in a lot of shuddering, but it's a parallel twin so it's to be expected. It jumps out of corners quite well if you're in the right gear. Get the engine in it's sweet spot between about 5-9k rpm and you can make reasonable progress provided you're liberal with the throttle. It's a little breathless from 9k up to the limiter at 11k, but you just change up. Outright top speed isn't really what this bike is about for me. You just surf the midrange.

The OE tyres are similar to the rest of the bike really, it's all about the style. Pirelli Sport Phantoms. Look cool, but offer precious little feel. They do seem to be wearing well though. Fortunately they don't seem to be overwhelmed by the power/handling prowess of the machine. It's the suspension and brakes that can time long before the rubber becomes an issue.

It's good on fuel. 50-55mpg is pretty typical for me. My use was mainly been motorway and a/b roads. So if you do a lot of town/residential work then your mileage would be better than mine.

In terms of riding position, it's fine. Bars are a little wide, which makes filtering tricky and you're sat very upright in the wind blast so it's not idea for motorways. It's also given me white finger a fair few times, but the bars don't seem to be noticeably buzzy.

Overall it's a perfect bike for someone fresh to bikes that wants something a little different like an old Bonneville, but wants it to actually start in the mornings. It's a proven platform. All of the shortcomings I've mentioned are easily sorted. With some Hyperpro Springs and fresh pads it would be a far better bike for me. That said, if you want a commuting tool, but an MT07 or Tracer 700 they're both better for that sort of thing. If you want something that looks super cool, then buy a Ducati scrambler or Triumph Street Twin. If you want something that looks ok, won't go wrong and is cheap then buy this.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review but I hate these things.

I prefer the latest naked SV650 which;

a) looks better, and
b) is a grand cheaper.

Mr. Green

https://www.publimotos.com/es/images/2016/abril/suzuki_sv650/Portada_web_suzuki.jpg

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there a half a brick under the prop-stand?

Which begs; how wobbly is it when you have to park on a bad camber?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

To make it stand more upright for the photograph?

Thanks for taking the time to write this up wafer thin ham

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

To make it stand more upright for the photograph?

Thanks for taking the time to write this up wafer thin ham

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I will be as objective as I can.

Two sentences later..

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
you want something that'll look cool at the coffee stop.

Rolling Eyes

You should take up vlogging.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:57 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I've been rolling around on an XSR700 for the past 5 weeks and counting for one reason and another.

Good review Thumbs Up

Although I get the impression you don't like the bike? If so, why did you buy it?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:22 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
why did you buy it?

He didn't... first line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

No idea. It's not my image. Wink

It's fine. Sidestand is solid as a solid thing.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:27 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I've been rolling around on an XSR700 for the past 5 weeks and counting for one reason and another.

Good review Thumbs Up

Although I get the impression you don't like the bike? If so, why did you buy it?

Firstly, I didn't buy it. Wink

I don't not like it. It's not my kind of bike and I think there are better bikes out there that do what this one does. It manages to do nothing well and feels a little joyless as it does so.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:28 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I will be as objective as I can.

Two sentences later..

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
you want something that'll look cool at the coffee stop.

Rolling Eyes

You should take up vlogging.

Thanks for the tip. not looking for a row, but who do you think the target market is for this one?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:31 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Nice review but I hate these things.

I prefer the latest naked SV650 which;

a) looks better, and
b) is a grand cheaper.

Mr. Green

https://www.publimotos.com/es/images/2016/abril/suzuki_sv650/Portada_web_suzuki.jpg

New SV is just as utilitarian as the old one, but more money. They must still have some pre-reg 16 SV650S's kicking around. Buy one of those instead. (Or an MT07, the engine is better IMO).

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: XSR700 Review Thingey Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Thanks for the tip. not looking for a row, but who do you think the target market is for this one?

I think the market for this version is really limited. The MT-07 sells around 80% better than the XSR700. It's a similar story for the XSR900, but until recently that was the better equipped bike when compared to the MT-09.

Perhaps you'll find the the gr666's of the world riding them. Casual, weekend toy, out with a few mates. Maybe older riders, even a 2nd bike. They want something that looks like their vision of what a bike looked like. 186Kg - it's 50Kg lighter than an old Bonnie - which is in the same price bracket (2nd user).

I like the look of the XSR900, it looks like there are some quality parts on it, the XSR700 not so much. It guess it's the budget version. I haven't had the chance to ride either yet, the Yamaha dealers round here seem to be less interested in dealing in Yamaha than they are with other manufacturers.

As a side note I would like to know where these coffee shops are though. I can't imagine any that have reasonable parking or that it's a particularly practical option. I also do enjoy the fact that 'riding to the ace' appears acceptable, yet a coffee shop is deemed unacceptable.

Personally I'm a burger van by the side of the road type. I like food more than coffee and I appreciate value for money.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MT07 looks and seems decent enough for a modern bike. These XSR retro style and Tracer wannabe adventure bikes less so. Yamaha and other Japanese makes, seem to be trying to go very BMW like in that they are trying to make things to fill every micro niche that was never asked for or wanted, just as BMW have done with their car designs etc.

Looks wise the new Kawasaki Z650 looks better, but needs another 10bhp or so and less being friendly, quiet and clean like all mainstream 2017 bikes are.

Would like to see a nice Z900 retro style naked though, with an on display belt driven supercharger, and a bit of homage to a mad max survival bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The MT07 looks and seems decent enough for a modern bike. These XSR retro style and Tracer wannabe adventure bikes less so. Yamaha and other Japanese makes, seem to be trying to go very BMW like in that they are trying to make things to fill every micro niche that was never asked for or wanted, just as BMW have done with their car designs etc.

I get the Tracer 7 and 9. It's just the MT versions but for the motorway/weather. You're never actually meant to take them offroad into the wilderness.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But you don't commute. The Tracer is a good commuter bike and provides weather protection. XSR range is a fun bike rather than utilitarian.

None of these bikes are meant for off road, they're just tall bikes and there's not that many options for styling a tall bike. Similarly sports bikes look pretty much the same as each other too.

I don't figure it's as much about filling every niche as it is having a platform that you can produce a wide variety of styles from. It means producing the bikes gets cheaper and at the same time they can offer more variety.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've had a mention in this thread I'll chime in. When I bought the spacker it was after a test ride of the boggo MT09.
For me it was that engine, pulls like an absolute bastard in any gear at any revs pretty much. I wasn't fond of the looks
of the boggo bike but when I saw the Sport Tracker in the showroom it had just enough retro styling bolted to that magnificent
(and a tiny bit scary) powerplant to tick my visual boxes as well. And with the newest variant coming in the showrooms
shortly they had some good deals to clear the old stock which pretty much did it for me. I was looking at chucking
6.5 k ish at a 14 plate low milage striple and having ridden both bikes the Yamaha edged it out on fun factor for me,
mainly by being the more hairy chested of the two. Plus I got a brand new bike OTR (that definitely hadn't been in a ditch)
with two years warranty for 500 quid more than I was going to spend on a used one. Also I've yet to see another
Spacker on my travels whereas I see striples all the time. I know since adding the Akra I've made it a bit noisy
(read glorious) sounding which naturally turns heads, but even before I did it seemed to get noticed everywhere
I went. And I couldn't stop for fuel without someone asking me about it. It suits my needs, a sunny sunday bike thats
an absolute hooligan, loud as fuck and a giggle to ride. And it doesn't look like a racebike but I've surprised a few
600cc racebikes which only adds to its appeal for me. It just looks like an old fashioned motorbike at the same time.
Oh and it spits huge flames from the exhaust, like the Batmobile. Cool

Ticks my boxes nicely and have no plans to change it for the foreseeable. I have over 2 years until it needs
it's first MOT. I'll re evaluate what I want from a bike then, assuming I don't wheelie it into the River Avon in the meantime. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1