Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles Redux

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles Redux Reply with quote

Any fool knows that polystyrene tiles are a big no no in old houses. They burn like mad and drop balls of molten lava onto your head as you try to escape the fire.

However, there seems to be something of a revival being attempted at the moment.

We're renovating a house and I've been looking at the new type (we have a shitty ceiling to conceal) and in a small area, think they'd look good.

They claim to be fire resistant.

Anyone here used them? Any good?

What could possibly go wrong?

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5700/b7a27/product_images/uploaded_images/r-24-classic-styrofoam-ceiling-tiles-installed.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/bf/63/78bf63bf3f16b27d870511c3d6319422.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M7N4A_t2rpo/maxresdefault.jpg

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to go for that lame cracked ice look. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:34 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles Redux Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

Someone could come into the room and look up Razz

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought ceiling tiles, artex an wall paper were used when ceilings were shoddy an peeps didnt want to get them skimmed/ reborded

acetone on polystyrene is fun to watch Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered buying just one tile and attacking it with a blow torch?
You'll know for sure then if they are fire resistant

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what market, and to what specs the flame resistance is measured.

The big EU are all for single standards for the single market. Nah. There's French standards AND German standards AND a singular EU standard. Try and tell the French/Germans that it meets the EU, they aren't interested until it meets their own.

If it's been tested and certified (legitimately, not china china china stds) within the last 8 years or so I'd be confident they do not form flaming drops. Any drops instantly drop a grading from M1 to M2 and B1 to B2, French and German respectively, IME.

I would expect the tile to either: behave in way so as to retreat from the flame, or; be flame resistant to withstand a flame without allowing flame spread over a distance set by the spec.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Depends what market, and to what specs the flame resistance is measured.

The big EU are all for single standards for the single market. Nah. There's French standards AND German standards AND a singular EU standard. Try and tell the French/Germans that it meets the EU, they aren't interested until it meets their own.

If it's been tested and certified (legitimately, not china china china stds) within the last 8 years or so I'd be confident they do not form flaming drops. Any drops instantly drop a grading from M1 to M2 and B1 to B2, French and German respectively, IME.

I would expect the tile to either: behave in way so as to retreat from the flame, or; be flame resistant to withstand a flame without allowing flame spread over a distance set by the spec.

https://funnypictures2.fjcdn.com/funny_gifs/Monty_9386dc_6004993.gif

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles Redux Reply with quote

Any fool knows that polystyrene tiles are a big no no in old houses. They burn like mad and drop balls of molten lava onto your head as you try to escape the fire.

However, there seems to be something of a revival being attempted at the moment.

We're renovating a house and I've been looking at the new type (we have a shitty ceiling to conceal) and in a small area, think they'd look good.

They claim to be fire resistant.

Anyone here used them? Any good?

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5700/b7a27/product_images/uploaded_images/r-24-classic-styrofoam-ceiling-tiles-installed.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/bf/63/78bf63bf3f16b27d870511c3d6319422.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M7N4A_t2rpo/maxresdefault.jpg

<The man who spent a weekend removing f'king b'stard tiles from the ceilings of his house when he moved in...and then had to pay for it all to be re-plastered>

1) They'll be out of fashion quicker than you can say 'ceiling tile'
2) The people who buy your house will hate you.
3) They're now out of fashion.

JustRepairTheCeiling.jpg

</The man who spent a weekend removing f'king b'stard tiles from the ceilings of his house when he moved in...and then had to pay for it all to be re-plastered>

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies one and all, I got a bit excited thinking it would be a quick and stylish (lol) solution to shitey ceilings.

We stripped the textured paint off one ceiling with heat and a scraper which took ages.

Does anyone know if a plasterer can skim over textured paint or has it all got to either come off first or be boarded over?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it skimmed, it'll be like having new walls so the paint will soak in. 60/40 with water or use up old paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a plasterer can skim over textured paint or has it all got to either come off first or be boarded over?

Depends what sort of state it's in.

Our house was fucking Artex everywhere when we moved in. Some of it just got skimmed over, and some of it was trying to disguise bad plaster so we had those bits knocked back to bare brick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1