Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

April 2017 new registration figures

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:55 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: April 2017 new registration figures Reply with quote

We're past the Eurobollocks pre-reg surge by now, so these should be fairly representative of sustainable sales figures. Eurobollocks surge is still in effect - see comments below.

https://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistics/Press-Statistics-201704-April-17.pdf

Aaaand they're down. 16% overall, 15% for 51cc+, 26% for mopeds, 29% for trikes, a staggering 30% for scooters and, wait for it, 37% for 51-125cc. Hurt

Only the 651-1000cc sector shows a modest rise.

No surprises in the models or rankings. R1200GS as usual, good showings from the MT-10, Z1000 and... awww yeah, Fireblade.

Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, BMW then the rest tagging along. Nice to see Suzuki making an appearance. Did they have a sale on V-Stroms again?

Lexmoto, where art thou? Fewer (possibly far fewer) than 300 sales in April. Ballpark, that's perhaps 4 per dealer. I guess that answers the question of whether punters will pay £2200 and up for a Chinese branded bike.

Cashback offer smacks a bit of desperation. £100 back direct from Lexmoto... as long as they're still solvent.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 08:51 - 09 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that huge drop in learner bikes was due to the last couple of months selling pre reg?

If not, ouch!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: April 2017 new registration figures Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Nice to see Suzuki making an appearance. Did they have a sale on V-Stroms again?

Strangely, Suzuki appear to want you to pay interest on finance for their bikes at the moment. Trying to stop their brand being devalued by always having sale pricing perhaps?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Suzukis Gixxer 125 due out yet?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:19 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Re: April 2017 new registration figures Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
We're past the Eurobollocks pre-reg surge by now, so these should be fairly representative of sustainable sales figures.

Haven't done the maths but I'd reckon there's another couple of months of pre registered kicking around and then we'll see. They'll be selling very cheap, so to actually go seek a new bike for hundreds more is a stretch I reckon. Might see a modest recovery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Re: April 2017 new registration figures Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Haven't done the maths

Heartening thought.

arry wrote:
but I'd reckon there's another couple of months of pre registered kicking around and then we'll see.

Let's maths it out.

Assumptions:
Nobody wanted to pay up front to pre-register 125s that would start depreciating, so they left it until the last minute.
All of the extra 125s registered in December 2016 versus 2015 were pre-reg.
All of the missing new registered 125s in 2017 are pre-reggers being fire sold. ... Fire saled? Fire solded?

December 2016: 5,971 - 2,250 = 3721 pre-registrations made. Shocked

January 2017: 1,877 - 2,545 = 668 pre-reg sold
Feb 2017: 664 - 747 = 84 pre-reg sold
March 2017: 2,176 - 2,487 = 311 pre-reg sold
April 2017: 2,566 - 4,100 = 1534 pre-reg sold
= 2596 out of 3721 sold.

So you're quite right, it looks like we've got at least another month of pre-bollocks 125s to clear out.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese manufacturers are going to struggle as the emissions regs get tighter and tighter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
The Chinese manufacturers are going to struggle as the emissions regs get tighter and tighter.

They've been copying horrid ancient engines for years, can't help but feeling had they made the investment earlier they'd be in a better position now.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
c-m wrote:

They've been copying horrid ancient engines for years, can't help but feeling had they made the investment earlier they'd be in a better position now.

They will be reverse engineering the simplest engines that pass eurocrap as we speak.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:22 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already done; they've got Euro4-claimed[*]-compliant engines in 125, 400 and 650 capacities. They can just copy the copies now.

[*] And I'm sure they are, for the Chinese are honourable men.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Monkeybike registered fine in April with no questions asked and that doesn't even get close to Eurobollocks spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never accuse the DVLA of having any idea about their own rules.

It took me 3 times of asking to get them to acknowledge that they should have been requiring Eurobollocks on post-2013 new-to-market bikes, and always-on-headlights and low emission fuel systems (i.e. not carbs) on all bikes, from January 1st 2016.

They never bothered then, they don't seem to bother now, which is fine with me. Long may it continue. Shhh!

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:58 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity is PCP driving new big bike sales up?

I am old enough to remember blades being punted at £5.5k years ago, the price now is eye-watering.

If the pound drops against the euro - I wonder if UK dealers will just start selling direct to the continent.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:34 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
Out of curiosity is PCP driving new big bike sales up?

I'm certain that it is.

For all the doom and gloom about PCP killing the car market, it hasn't hurt new car sales. Changes to taxation and election fretting has put a short term ding in them though.

Bikes, well, sales are down this year, but it's unclear whether that's just economics, Eurobollocks (certainly among 125s that's the case), or if the market is flooded with 3 year old models. I can't say I've noticed that, but it's possible that they're just being snapped up en masse by exporters.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
For all the doom and gloom about PCP killing the car market, it hasn't hurt new car sales.

I thought the issue was that the second hand market was being flooded with returned vehicles, which's fine as long as they're selling, when they aren't there might be a problem.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, eventually PCP, brings upon itself its own downfall?

The cost is worked out on 3 years and car goes back, which means it revolves around future value. If the market is flooded with 3 Year old ex PCP motors then surely the future value has to reduce, meaning the cost per term has to increase to a point where it's just not viable any more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I hate you, you basically said the same thing but sounded way more intelligent Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the theory, but it doesn't seem to be having much effect on new sales in practice. Bear in mind that fleet purchase prices are far lower than the prices offered to Joe Public, so presumably there's still a big margin for dealers to play with.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1