Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anything I need to know about riding in france?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:54)
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:43 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Anything I need to know about riding in france? Reply with quote

Other than the obvious, stay on the right thing.

Insurance is sorted.

I know I need a GB sticker but is a little one on the plate OK? If not I dunno where to put it.

What do I need to do about my lights?

Any other general things I should know?

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% on this, but I think if you get caught speeding they can fine you at the roadside, so keep your speed down, I ain't positive on this though, but thought I should tell you just in case.

Just basically make sure your bike is as sweet as it can be before you go over, don't worry too much about settings for the road over there.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:54 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Anything I need to know about riding in france? Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Any other general things I should know?

They drive on the other side of the road over there. Razz

robbiehall
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:56 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads are brilliant, especially when you get away from the Ports and Paris. Many French drivers love bikes and will give you room to pass.
Take care when negotiating roundabouts for the first time, but they are fun when you get used to them.
Your headlights probably have a wedge shape marked on the glass, but basically you need to blank off the part of the beam that will shine right into the oncoming traffic, and it's a triangle from the middle of the glass to the outside.
Oh, and don't forget the casual hand wave to other bikes.
Petrol is cheaper - 69p/litre.

Cheers
Rob

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:00 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, by and large the French drive like tw@s and will take every oppertunity to try and kill you (more so than over here, just look how many bashed about cars there are on the road when you get there) BUT they do move out of your way very quickly when you come screaming down the outside lane so it is not all bad.

Last time I was in France, some of the roundabouts still worked on the old rule where you had to give-way to traffic wanting to get ON to the roundabout (so you would have to stop halfway round if someone was sat waiting to join, instant gridlock)...this rule applied unless there was a sign saying "Change prioritie" on the approach. They may well have done away with that by now (it was quite a while ago I was last there)

Oh yeah, all stepthru mopeds in France have slick tyres on big skinny wheels, clipon bars and race systems, they are ridden by 14 year olds and will do 60mph two-up off a pedal start...makes you wonder why we piss about with the plastic crap the japanese sell us over here. You can buy a tidy second hand one for about 450 quid, if I ever go to France again I will be bringing one back.

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:06 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared for unusual things.

The evil french gits somehow seem to think that roadworks shouldn't be placed every mile or so. You can go for 100 miles without seeing so much as a cone. Crying or Very sad

If you aren't in the area around Paris, traffic jams are also rare. It seems our European neighbours feel they add nothing to the joys of the open road. Confused

Roadside cafes are the flavour of the day. No Little Chefs, no Happy Eaters. They have the nerve to serve fresh food and not charge over the odds. Shocked

Good job they drive on the wrong side of the road too. It shows how out of touch they are with the needs of the British motorist. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

Byrnie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything up to imprisonment.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. Leaded no longer exists. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps in rural areas open out-of-hours, which also means lunch-time form noon to 3pm. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Check out the road signs here: https://www.americansinfrance.net/Driving/SelectedRoadSigns.cfm

Get to know the Priority/Right of Way ones because ignoring them will almost certainly lead to a T-bone with you being in the wrong.

And French bikers wave to other bikers all the time. Sometimes with their leg... Shocked

robbiehall
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:12 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, don't have-a-go with a local on a trick ped or trailie, they are all fearless and know the roads like the back of etc..

You will think the whole country has gridlocked when you come back though.

Rob

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:21 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a titchy tiny number plate, to fit in
practise filtering at 90mph
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 04:28 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol stations DON'T take credit or debit cards from the uk and some cash points don't either so be aware of that Wink

It costs on average £1 a min to RECIEVE phone calls on mobile so just don't bother unless you breakdown.

And most importantly, they speak french there which can be a nightmare if your french is shit like maurice's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort your MOT out Wink

alliamc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:40 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: just like the car drivers you need to carry a spare bulb kit and probably a small medical kit (just need plasters, dressing, antiseptic cream, that sorta thing) cars have to carry a warning triangle, so i don't know if you're supposed to, but u can buy ones that fold away,

other than that you should be ok, but there are no set things things to take other than headlamp converters and gb sticker, anything else is to the discretion of the french policeman that stops you, and they can be bastards

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware tyring to get your knee down on French roundabouts. The drainage is on the outside of the roundabout, not the inside like ours and thus provides negative camber on most roundabouts. Beware of this in the rain too.

Oh and anywhere within 20 miles of the docks look out for diesel slicks, confused British drivers on the wrong side of the road and the French police speed traps. They can and will get you now.

Have fun though Thumbs Up

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Beware tyring to get your knee down on French roundabouts.

There will be none of this...I'm going pillion!!!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:54 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its lovely over there. The roads are smooth, the drivers are good, the girls are rarely ugly (at least not like over here).

Make sure your headlight is doing the right kinda thing, and just have fun.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorway cafe stops are amazing and they are well lit, spacious and the food they serve is all of high quality !

Note: Zebra Crossing, especially in Paris !

Drivers don't appear at all to stop when a person steps on one of them and so watch out when try to cross one !

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikers in france don't nod, they drop their clutch hand off the bar, and do sort of a low wave. It kind of looks like they're telling you to slow down, or warning you about something, but it's just their nod equivalent. Also, when a car let's them pass they stick their right knee out, after passing, it's sort of a 'thank you' gesture. Also, you will find that non- bikers, shop owners, etc, generally don't treat bikers like s**t, as often happens over here, and you may find this a bit of a culture shock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, here's some tips on Johnny Foreigner I picked up whilst travelling in the colonies, they might be helpful.

Wear the biggest Union flag you can - Lets Johnny know that you are his better.

Ride on the right if you want to - Make the blighters get out of your way. Why the hell should you conform? They will see the flag and know who you are!

Do not remove your gloves or take a pair of old gloves with you - This can be particularly useful as you may need to touch Johnny at some point, slapping or punching, etc, may have to take place and everyone knows that Johnny is a dirty foreigner! Old gloves are particularly useful to save ruining a nice pair.

The universal language - English. If Johnny is particularly stupid you may have to talk louder or even shout. This can be combined with the use of the gloves above.

Onions - These items can be particularly useful with the French Johnny. The whole economic system is based on onion selling and eating (sometimes Garlic is used). Carry a couple for emergency/bartering. If you run out just use the gloves again.

Confidence - Johnny can smell a lack of confidence from a mile off. Be confident in the knowledge that you are his superior. If you find yourself needing a boost try whistling "Britannia Rules the Waves" and slip the Battle of Trafalgar into the conversation.

Insurance - Not needed, if Johnny hurts himself he's only got himself to blame!

Headlights - Full beam ahead and don't bother adjusting the dip, let's the blighter know you are there.

Speeding - Do what you like. Remind the local bobbies that they would be in the dark ages still if it wasn't for us. Make them know their place!

Right, there's a few to be going on with. Not going to reveal all the secrets to a successful trip, it's fun finding out some for yourself.

Pip Pip.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:43 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash machines can be a bit hit and miss, half of the ones at supermarkets don't work with our cards. So have enough money on you to last a few days. Petrol stations on autoroutes do take them though. Also if you go on an autoroute, don't lose your ticket as there is a big charge. 99% of the roundabouts are like ours now, though there are a few. The one I saw was in a city. A pocket French phrase book is handy to take, saves you looking like a fool when ordering meals, a la M1ke Razz Also if you're touring around, put your valuables in the tankbag so you can easily remove it, leaving clothes etc in the panniers if needs be.

Oh yeah one last thing, it might be a good idea to inform your credit/bank card company that you're going abroad. They cancelled my credit card while I was there and were just about to cancel my debit when I got back. Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:55 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that "l'Hotel du Ville" is the French for town hall, this will avoid you looking stupid by trying to book a room there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1