Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend a VOIP provider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:31 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Recommend a VOIP provider? Reply with quote

In anticipation of the landline system being shitcanned and having sketchy mobile signal at my house. I use a roaming SIM, you get vodaphone downstairs and EE upstairs but if you made a call then go up or downstairs, you lose the signal. At best it's patchy and unreliable, even more so since they turned off 3G because I don't get 4G unless you stand with your head in the windowsill in the upstairs bedroom.

As such, I'd much prefer to use the house phone and would like to retain my "landline" number.

The logical thing seems to be to get a VOIP adapter for my existing DECT phones and a VOIP callplan.

Ideally have a callplan that includes uk landline and mobile calls. Either an unlimited one or at least 300 minutes monthly.

Ideally be able to port across my existing landline number.

No experience of VOIP providers. Anyone got experience/recommendations?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using MyPhones Altos VoIP for years. I originally got it as part of a satellite internet system when I binned BT through the satellite reseller. I've been happy with it. I'm not up to speed with domestic SIP/VoIP suppliers so can't really help you with that part.

Porting your BT number is a doddle and the transfer is seamless. You'll have to dial the full STD number when you dial out though, even for local numbers.

Your DECT system can be used on a VoIP supplier's system. They should be able to provide you with a device called an ATA (Analogue Terminal Adaptor). It plugs into your broadband, and your phone system plugs into it. The beauty of having an ATA is that you can take it anywhere and plug it into a broadband connection and you'll have your home number available. VoIP is very flexible.

I'm not sure what call deals are available but you should be able to find comparison deals online. VoIP calls are a lot cheaper than BT.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want dirt cheap then I can vouch for Andrews & Arnold. Mun's old landline number from Cornwall redirected to her mobile costs me less than £2 a month.

The crucial detail you'll need for any VOIP transfer is who is providing the hardware at present, e.g. for a BT line it'd be OpenReach. In my case Shell Energy deliberately fibbed about this and it cost me a few days and £15 in admin fees for A&A to do the research.

While they're cheap, A&A is a bit fiddly to set up. Sounds like you're probably going to link with a VOIP handset rather than an easy redirect. Regardless of who you go with I'm sure Islander or myself can chip in some technical pointers.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your phone/mobile provider not offer wifi calling?

It routes your phone calls through your router, so if you have a crap mobile signal but reasonable wifi, you can still make calls.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

On sky fibre, my phone plugs into the router.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

It routes your phone calls through your router, so if you have a crap mobile signal but reasonable wifi, you can still make calls.

No mobile signal here, nearly everyone uses mobiles on wifi calling I can't see why you'd pay more for voip.
I have cheap mains adapter extensions out to (farm) yards so can use it over a decent area.
Wifi calls are charged or listed just like network calls/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:51 - 04 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

I don't and wont have a smartphone.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying Google Voice but smartphone init.

I have zero signal here and rely on WiFi calling but my internet is also shit through landline so I have Starlink which works fine, its not perfect but its also not 0.7Mbps upload.

I used to use SIPGate but now its ££
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I don't and wont have a smartphone.

I sympathise but I'm not sure this is a fight you can ever win.
Even I have one (albeit a SIM free Alcatel from Argos that cost 70 quid), and so does my 87 year old mother.

I don't and won't ever have 'Facebook' however.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I don't and won't ever have 'Facebook' however.

Facebook on mobile is a whiney little bitch. Didn't get re-installed when I last upgraded my phone. That does mean it's tricky to sell stuff through Marketplace... win win I suppose Smile

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used sipgate for over 15 years.

I have a cisco sip adapter which let's me use a traditional phone.

I don't pay line rental only call charges.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1