Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen Bikes/Peds In That London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I see that a solution is at hand:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/22/moped-menace-muggers-vehicle-of-choice-scooters-acid-attacks-phone-robberies

Quote:
Kevin Howells, the chairman of the MCRG, said they were “shocked” by the results. “In some parking bays you’ve got 30 bikes taking up those spaces and no one’s locked their bike to the street furniture,” he said. “It’s easy pickings. Maybe there should be some legislation so that people are penalised. If you’re not going to lock your bike up, that one crime could result in 10 more crimes up the road.”

We'll just make owning an inadequately locked bike a crime, that'll clear it up.

Did he see 30 bits of street furniture that could be used to secure 30 bikes in those bays?
I doubt it. There's unlikely to be any ground anchors, maybe a lamp post and....... well that's about it in MOST parking bays.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbours scooter got nicked out of their back garden last night Confused Few roads away, also don't think it was chained

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Did he see 30 bits of street furniture that could be used to secure 30 bikes in those bays?

I doubt it. There's unlikely to be any ground anchors, maybe a lamp post and....... well that's about it in MOST parking bays.

Mmm, Glasgow's latest bay doesn't even have the usual bike-parking-sign-on-a-post.

Astonishingly though, Westminster do seem to have been spending the bike parking fees on installing some security:

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/secure-your-motorcycle

Anyone know how significant that is in terms of total parking there?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police just need the permission to chase until little jamie is splattered round some road furniture. Until then, it seems you can get away with anything in london.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Mmm, Glasgow's latest bay doesn't even have the usual bike-parking-sign-on-a-post.

Astonishingly though, Westminster do seem to have been spending the bike parking fees on installing some security:

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/secure-your-motorcycle

Anyone know how significant that is in terms of total parking there?

Pass. I will point out the cram them in attitude towards on street motorcycle parking means that many bikes will still be unsecured, particularly with sheffield stands (for example). I think they should be bawwing at manufacturers rather than bikers. Security has until very recently been an afterthought with some marques (looking at you KTM and Triumph), and I assume still is on many scooters. Didn't the old Peugeot Speedfight have an integrated lock?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Have we done gun laws yet in this thread? Isn't about time that we advocated a wild west solution?

I have a solution along those lines, we swap police forces with the Yanks for a month.
I read that a lot of their citizens dislike how trigger happy their popo are, so they get some respite, and their officers get some target practice whilst they rid us of most of the scumbags.

I'm struggling to see a downside tbh. Thinking

In regards to bike anchorage, to my knowledge there is only 1 bike bay with any kind of anchor in my entire town, it fits approx 6 bikes.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I read that a lot of their citizens dislike how trigger happy their popo are, so they get some respite, and their officers get some target practice whilst they rid us of most of the scumbags.

That would be a 'Win' for us but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in (say) New York would change their mind within a couple of hours, after their scumbags with loads of guns suddenly realised the police with truncheons couldn't stop them doing shit... Laughing

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:34 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a caped crusader a Jewlio does it again type character that could at least try to defend these acid throwing thieving low life chav ethnic sum?

Uber_Beluga
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:54 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

London simulator 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWgVsSfyj0

Seriously, I'm fucking terrorfied. I grew up in South Africa and felt far safer riding through Soweto or Atteridgeville (some famously dodgy areas) than I feel in London. Worse still, I've only recently got my GF who is barely 5 foot riding an R125 into work and back. I can't ask her to stop riding unless I do.

What are you guys doind to protect yourself from bikejackings? I'm not normally a gear kind of guy, but I'm considering armouring up in an effort to keep the hammers, macettes and acid at bay.

Anyone got a nice wrench holster on their tank yet? Seems like it's time to get ready for war. (Just what I moved to the UK for Confused )

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:
What are you guys doind to protect yourself from bikejackings? I'm not normally a gear kind of guy, but I'm considering armouring up in an effort to keep the hammers, macettes and acid at bay.

Remaining ready to fuck off into the distance at a moments notice, I can't think of anything more effective on a motorbike.

I've had just 2 moments akin to those in YT vids where it would seem Pikeys were going to jump me at a junction.
I didn't hang around to find out if that was their true motive, I won't hang around next time either.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Astonishingly though, Westminster do seem to have been spending the bike parking fees on installing some security

The one council that charges to park a bike anywhere in the borough (other than on private land of course) has put a tiny portion of that parking charge money into a few security options.
It really doesn't look like anywhere near enough for the number of bikes but I guess it's something.

So obviously getting your bike stolen is clearly your own fault Laughing

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:
I'm not normally a gear kind of guy, but I'm considering armouring up in an effort to keep the hammers, macettes and acid at bay.

Yeah, because a hammer is so much more harmful than a car....
So now's the time to think about wearing the right gear Rolling Eyes

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber_Beluga wrote:

In the worst places in Spain, people have a big ass flat tip screwdriver attached to the handlebars via some Velcro tape. For in the go maintenance of course.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
barrkel wrote:
I see that a solution is at hand:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/22/moped-menace-muggers-vehicle-of-choice-scooters-acid-attacks-phone-robberies

Quote:
Kevin Howells, the chairman of the MCRG, said they were “shocked” by the results. “In some parking bays you’ve got 30 bikes taking up those spaces and no one’s locked their bike to the street furniture,” he said. “It’s easy pickings. Maybe there should be some legislation so that people are penalised. If you’re not going to lock your bike up, that one crime could result in 10 more crimes up the road.”

We'll just make owning an inadequately locked bike a crime, that'll clear it up.

Yeah, it really helps, a lot Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/simon.donaghy/posts/10203829029404165?hc_location=ufi

Another pinch pin, also tracker was found in the bushes Mad

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:36 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a 10 grand bike parked in the road overnight ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
is that a 10 grand bike parked in the road overnight ?

Drunk and wearing a short skirt.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:45 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Yeah, it really helps, a lot Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/simon.donaghy/posts/10203829029404165?hc_location=ufi

Another pinch pin, also tracker was found in the bushes Mad

6 guys, hammers and knifes, I wouldn't come out either, at most, if feeling brave I may try to throw some dishes at them from a higher store window.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll return the bike once they've seen those stickers Sick

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:26 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
6 guys, hammers and knifes

Angle grinder too, given that they appear to have just lopped straight through the anti-pinch pin.

In a pack like that, they'd probably stand their ground and stabby-kill an owner just out of bravado.

Stiffler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to London soon and don't have anywhere secure to put the bike, looks like I may as well not bother!

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stiffler wrote:
Moving to London soon and don't have anywhere secure to put the bike, looks like I may as well not bother!

Not bother moving to London? Good choice. Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
In a pack like that, they'd probably stand their ground and stabby-kill an owner just out of bravado.

Almost...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:19 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

So, both guilty of the robbery in which scooterist was stabbed, but neither guilty of stabbing him?

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/assets/uploads/files/Joint_Enterprise.pdf

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why you do not stop if you think you are being followed.

I'm currently riding into Westminster through Sarf 'East Lahnden daily. No stab wounds yet.. <gulp> Laughing

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am sure a chap was killed on his doorstep last year when some scrotes were stealing his ped.

General consensus now I guess is let them get on stealing your shit in case they MDK you?

Can't have anything to do with the record lack of police or their 'do fuck all' approach could it though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 7 of 36