Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen Bikes/Peds In That London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:47 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
arry wrote:
Happening to all the places just outside the M25.

Grays has never been a nice place but there were pockets of decent folk. I think they're all moving out to be replaced by dross. The street I live on is full of people that have been living there 25 years etc. When they retire / die I don't think I'm gonna like my new neighbours.

You're not on that one nice posh road in Grays are you?

My Nan lived in Grays in a Street just has 'arry described. Unless he lives on 'Leasway' there is at least 2 Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not on that estate - my mother in law is though.

I'm in the Victorian expansion part of the town. My road is Victorian terraces. They're lovely old houses. There's quite a few nice tree lined avenues in the area.

Problem is the town itself is just a hub of dross these days. It won't be long before that lot go looking for something to rob. Bad enough with the pikeys that have moved in and had a special council dispensation Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:38 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
No I'm not on that estate - my mother in law is though.

I'm in the Victorian expansion part of the town. My road is Victorian terraces. They're lovely old houses. There's quite a few nice tree lined avenues in the area.

Problem is the town itself is just a hub of dross these days. It won't be long before that lot go looking for something to rob. Bad enough with the pikeys that have moved in and had a special council dispensation Rolling Eyes

I loved my Nan and Grandad's place. Their garden was huge must have been 100ft! It was an ex-council place!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41633205

Some crimes; like shoplifting............ or bike theft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Any theft really, they aren't particularly bothered by muggings or burglaries either, unless it happens to someone important.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Will still investigate hate crimes though, so no saying nasty things on social media. Thumbs Up

Edit: Just read the comments section.
"Get rid of all the crime commissioners, they are a waste of money. Originally, I thought it was a good idea till Batman never showed up."
Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

My Nan lived in Grays in a Street just has 'arry described. Unless he lives on 'Leasway' there is at least 2 Wink

Ah, my pal lives in Bradleigh Avenue. Some nice big houses along there. Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Ah, my pal lives in Bradleigh Avenue. Some nice big houses along there. Thumbs Up

Yup, one of the nicer tree lined avenues. Not far from me; 5 minute walk.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and now I've been bike-jacked. Black SH300 ripped out of my hands.

Going north on the A10 through Tottenham towards Enfield, I pick up some bikes following close behind me, I turn down Monument Way towards Tottenham Hale, they try to grab me from behind as I'm cornering, I try and escape filtering through the cars but they catch up as I reach traffic at the junction.

Pillion on an Italian-plated scooter gets off and comes running at me while I'm trying to remove the key from the ignition, we fight over my key, and he rips it off the keyring. He tries to take the scooter from me, fails, then it falls over and hits the car next to me and he runs off.

Chap gets out of his car, looks to see how bad the dent is, then gets back in and drives off. But the thieves aren't finished; they circle back around, and shout at me to get off my scooter (I'm now stranded in between two lanes with a dead bike). The chap who has my key comes at me and fails to take the scooter from me a second time, then starts hitting me on the helmet, and a second guy comes up behind me and pulls me backwards down to the ground by the helmet, and they kick me in the head a couple of times just to make sure.

I struggle to my feet, in the middle of the traffic, all the horrified drivers looking out through their windscreens. I stagger to a traffic island, and everybody heads off on their way home.

A pedestrian then walks up to me, on the phone to the police. And thereafter commences the whole statement rigamarole. I just got home, two hours later than usual.

Message clear: don't ride a nice scooter through Tottenham. In fact, don't ride anything you don't mind losing through Tottenham. Ideally, steer clear of Tottenham altogether. I'll probably switch to a cheap geared bike for my commute, something less convenient for thefts.

If you do get bike-jacked, I recommend you throw away your key, if you have time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:21 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or beat them senseless. I literally have no self control when someone fucks with my stuff. I'd not worry about putting them in intensive care. From the weediest guy ever Laughing

Bad luck mate Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:40 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, damn. So it comes to BCF at last. Sad

I hope you at least recalled that they shouted "Off the scooter, you $INSERT_SKIN_COLOUR bastard!" so that it gets hate-crimed.

Small comfort, but do please claim your compo for the kicking:

https://www.gov.uk/claim-compensation-criminal-injury

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a matter of time I suppose. At least you weren't macheted in the process.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Or beat them senseless. I literally have no self control when someone fucks with my stuff. I'd not worry about putting them in intensive care. From the weediest guy ever Laughing

Between three and five guys altogether - in the commotion I don't recall if I saw two scooters or only one, because multiple people came at me multiple times from multiple directions - but there was a guy on a geared bike riding off on the pavement as well, part of the group.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
In fact, don't ride anything you don't mind losing through Tottenham. Ideally, steer clear of Tottenham altogether. I'll probably switch to a cheap geared bike for my commute, something less convenient for thefts.

https://bod6s0e3xl-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HomerSimpsonTightShirt-300x188.jpg

Not analysing your ordeal but how come you didn't carry on to the police station a bit further down? I'll keep an eye out just in case your bikes stayed in the area.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Not analysing your ordeal but how come you didn't carry on to the police station a bit further down? I'll keep an eye out just in case your bikes stayed in the area.

I didn't know it was there. I only ever pass through Tottenham, I've never walked around the area, or paid much attention to the buildings.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:30 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be long until bikers fight back... Knife or a decent gas powered pop pop in the bar muff.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, that SH300 looks no different to the 50 at a glance.

But I bet it goes better though

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's not the sort of thing for which you can really mentally prepare, any more than you can ride around being prepared to flip out Ninja style at any second (FazerTard excepted, obvs).

And would riding right up to a cop shop door and horning away even deter the wild-life around there? I honestly wonder. Thinking

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:27 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely, the police only investigate real proper crime now.

Although, you'd probably get a ticket for creating a noise nuisance.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

It's not the sort of thing for which you can really mentally prepare, any more than you can ride around being prepared to flip out Ninja style at any second (FazerTard excepted, obvs).

And would riding right up to a cop shop door and horning away even deter the wild-life around there? I honestly wonder. Thinking

It's something I've considered. I guess the logic's they might decide against it when you pull up outside, or there might be officers leaving who feel like doing some policing, or at the very least they'll be good CCTV when you do get robbed.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the SH300 is close to ideal for doing scooter thefts from. Physically fairly small and narrow, but fast and probably the most capable handling of its capacity with the big wheels. Does about 80mph per GPS, 10-60 in about 6 seconds, but not super fast immediately off the line without transmission mods.

Long story, but it used to be my primary scooter before the engine seized, owing to a slow oil leak that I underestimated when I did extra travelling while moving house. My second SH300 was my main scooter until it was stolen in April, then recovered, and stolen again in June. I got a second-hand engine from ebay and replaced it myself, including replacing all the bearings in the final drive once I got to hear the whine it was making; 3 out of the 4 SH300 engines that have passed through our household have had bearings failures in the final drive, it's a weak point on the scooter.

Point being I loved that scooter model, loved riding it, and loved that particular bike enough that I poured multiple weekends into getting it ship-shape. The fairings were clean and shiny, no scrapes or scratches from being dropped, unusual for a 5 year old scooter with 22k miles. It was riding wonderfully smoothly, and I was looking forward to taking it easy through the winter after having spent a couple of months commuting hectically on the Brutale.

Three thefts of an SH300 from me in the past year. If I get another one, it'll have a GPS tracker.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd make for good headlines if nothing else, "Biker robbed at knifepoint in Police Station" or something, and really some actual decent press coverage is what we need.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone Mentioned taping a screwdriver to the bars as a handy shank...

It's becoming like fucking Mad Max meets Grand Theft Auto out there.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Three thefts of an SH300 from me in the past year. If I get another one, it'll have a GPS tracker.

I think they're too desirable for thieves, I'd probably go for a 250-300cc geared bike and hope to stay under the radar a bit, although it's depressing you have to think like that Sad

Were you wearing your helmet cam' btw?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have serious reservations about the ride into London, TBH. I know I know, the benefits of it, the time saving, the convenience - but the guy's just got jacked and assaulted; who is to say the next time there won't be something melty involved despite Amber's best efforts?

There's a couple of suspicious looking scooters making their way out into the M25 borders these days and I've already bumped into a few unsavory characters out on a ride - won't be long until they're hanging around the country lanes is my guess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 15 of 36