Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insuring a bike without a full license

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

I'm at the stage where I've just failed my mod one on the slow manoeuvres and I'm not confident that my das training firm have got any helpful approach to passing other than do another generic mod one training session where out of four hours I'll probably get 2 or 3 shots at the u turn and the slalom by the time we get to the test centre ( they book it for an hour or two on Saturdays but it's slow progress as they treat you like newcomers each time)

Anyway in order to get some December practise time in I'm thinking of buying a bike and either getting a mate to drive it or (ahem!) wheeling it to a nearby office car park that's vacant at weekends.

1. My first question is on what basis would I insure the bike to guard it against theft and for a mate to drive it to a private area where I would use it.

2. Is this worth the effort all in

3. If someone without a license asked you if you could use their bike to practise the slow manoeuvres on what would you say.

Cheers

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:47 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 insure it in your mate's name staying him as registered keeper; although if you get caught and your off road road isn't so off road (definition of road isn't as clear cut as you'd like to think) then he'll be done for allowing the use of vehicle without insurance.
2 no.
3 GTF. Not in a million years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:56 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If it's not got third party cover, then DVLA will start sending you blackmail letters about SORNing it. It'll ping up on ANPR on the offchance that you run into either of the traffic police still on patrol. If the car park isn't gated, then it'll likely be a place to which the public enjoy a general right of access, which requires you to have insurance (although not a licence).

Bikesure will cover you on your provisionaL entitlement, but you may not like the price you're quoted. The upside is that if you are covered, then you're actually good to ride it on (not to) your tests, so if you can figure out the logistics, you could sack off the training school and DIY your tests.

2) Probably not. You only have to pass the slow speed bollocks once. Doesn't the training school have a pad of their own that you can practice on? No need to go to the test centre.

3) That's the sort of thing that's offered rather than asked for. I'd consider it if you had access to actual private land, i.e. gated. No chance am I risking an IN10 code on my licence, that's insurance herpes.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:16 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Road Traffic Act applies to any area the public have 'unhindered' access. Even if its got a gate and fence, if kids can duck through gap in hedge, or plod can duck under the barrier, and say they weren't 'Hindered', you could be subject to RTA regs on 'private land'. (Which, obliviouse of RTA yo must also have permission to use, and car-parks will usually have T&C's telling you what permissions you have, which is normally only to err...park a car!)

Having a licence isn't legal requirement to obtain insurance; but practically no-one will offer insurance on a bike you don't have licence for... go try, see what "I've got a live one here! He wants me to quote him bludy delirious!" prices you get.

HOWEVER: You have done the DAS training... you have been deemed competent enough to take test by your instructor.... you muffed it on the day....

Practice makes perfect... BUT.. you done that. Is more 'practice' really what you need? Mod 1 is pretty basic cone exercises you have been doing since CBT, and there's nothing astoundingly tricky in the actual exercises they ask of you; a couple are a little more demanding perhaps, but, it's ot like they expect you to even memorise the course and do each excersise sequentially emembering where to go and what to do from start to fiish; they walk you through it and tell you at each section what you need do; your being prompted like every thrity seconds!

Main issue, for most folk is test-nerves; being nervouse, being a bit rigid, and brain-cogs jumpng out of gear under the pressure.

Riding around a car-park, on your own, or with a mate watchng you, having a bit of a laugh, trying to 'imagine' the test-map on the car-park between the odd disguarded brick or bay marking; maybe even some kiddie socker cones from the quid-shop....

1/ Its not the Mod 1 course
2/ It's not the Mod 1 examiner
3/ Its not Mod 1 conditions

You already know, you can actually perform mod 1 maneuvers; you have done them with the instructor, and likely under much more representative simulated conditions on lesson; you failed to do them under actual test pressure.

Its not the manouvers you need practice; its handling the test pressure.

So what are you hoping to achieve?

I don't see wallyng around in a car-park with a mate, pretending bricks and stuff are cones, is going to tackle very much; dong more Mod 1 lessons, may be a bit more representative and put you under a little more pressure, like test, that could help, but real issue is most likely handling the pressure, NOT the bike.

Davemc37 wrote:
I'm at the stage where I've just failed my mod one on the slow manoeuvres and I'm not confident that my das training firm have got any helpful approach to passing other than do another generic mod one training session where out of four hours I'll probably get 2 or 3 shots at the u turn and the slalom by the time we get to the test centre ( they book it for an hour or two on Saturdays but it's slow progress as they treat you like newcomers each time

See bold. If you don't have confidence in your school, use another. THEY must however have had some confidence in you or they wouldn't have put you i for test. But, no likey way schooley worky, use another school.

How many times have you failed Mod 1? Why do you presume, they will treat you like an absolute beginner and teach you by the script, not what you.. think... you need?

First up you ARE an absolute beginner!! A few lessons does not make you an ace overnight! It's not like you have just faled your Master's thesis and the proff wants you to go back to primary school and practice your A-B-C!

Next; if you have ssues with the way the school organise thier lessons, and the trainig they offer you, talk to the ruddy school! Or change school!

Many reasons they may work by rote, but most likely one is that's the way they stricture things to keep costs down. Want one to one tailored lessons, it aint going to be as cheap. But, talk to the school! They probably be happy to do what you ask, and give you what you think you need; after all he who pays the organ grinder!

BUT,end of the day, their bike, their rules. If thats what they want you to do, so you can use thier bike for another go at the test, and that's most cost effective way to get bike for the test, suck it up, mate!... or find another school, who will heed the organ grinder, but expect to pay the extra for it... and be warned; if you choose to excersise that prerogative and ignore instructors advice, and still fail, that's not the instructors fault.... so don't go blame the organ grinder if you don't like the tune you called!

Would I lend you my bike to practice in a car-park? Possibly. Biker rules; "You bend it, You mend it!" BTW Have you tried pushing quarter ton of bike with bent bars two miles, up hill, to my house from town? Do you know how much mirrors, bar ends, brake levers and petrol tanks and resprays cost? Are you sre you'd want to borrow it after you have contemplated that?

But short answer is I think you are looking for a difficult answer to a simple problem.... you muffed t on test, there were no guarantees; go book the repeat test lesson, try again! Stop looking for ways to complicate the matter ad make more problems, NOT tackling the real one! You muffed it! No one was killed in the muffing; so try, try again! And try NOT to muff it next time! Last muffing was probably ALL the 'practice' you need!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:50 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
First up you ARE an absolute beginner!!

No, he's not. But please don't let that stop you giving the exact same patronising, belittling, discouraging lecture that you deliver each and every time.

Oh, you didn't.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
If someone without a license asked you if you could use their bike to practise the slow manoeuvres on what would you say.

I have let noobs ride my bikes, and sometimes regretted it when they've wobbled away Smile What school are you with? Going by the location on your map we could probably recommenced a better one.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Road Traffic Act applies to any area the public have 'unhindered' access. Even if its got a gate and fence, if kids can duck through gap in hedge, or plod can duck under the barrier, and say they weren't 'Hindered', you could be subject to RTA regs on 'private land'. (Which, obliviouse of RTA yo must also have permission to use, and car-parks will usually have T&C's telling you what permissions you have, which is normally only to err...park a car!)

Having a licence isn't legal requirement to obtain insurance; but practically no-one will offer insurance on a bike you don't have licence for... go try, see what "I've got a live one here! He wants me to quote him bludy delirious!" prices you get.

HOWEVER: You have done the DAS training... you have been deemed competent enough to take test by your instructor.... you muffed it on the day....

Practice makes perfect... BUT.. you done that. Is more 'practice' really what you need? Mod 1 is pretty basic cone exercises you have been doing since CBT, and there's nothing astoundingly tricky in the actual exercises they ask of you; a couple are a little more demanding perhaps, but, it's ot like they expect you to even memorise the course and do each excersise sequentially emembering where to go and what to do from start to fiish; they walk you through it and tell you at each section what you need do; your being prompted like every thrity seconds!

Main issue, for most folk is test-nerves; being nervouse, being a bit rigid, and brain-cogs jumpng out of gear under the pressure.

Riding around a car-park, on your own, or with a mate watchng you, having a bit of a laugh, trying to 'imagine' the test-map on the car-park between the odd disguarded brick or bay marking; maybe even some kiddie socker cones from the quid-shop....

1/ Its not the Mod 1 course
2/ It's not the Mod 1 examiner
3/ Its not Mod 1 conditions

You already know, you can actually perform mod 1 maneuvers; you have done them with the instructor, and likely under much more representative simulated conditions on lesson; you failed to do them under actual test pressure.

Its not the manouvers you need practice; its handling the test pressure.

So what are you hoping to achieve?

I don't see wallyng around in a car-park with a mate, pretending bricks and stuff are cones, is going to tackle very much; dong more Mod 1 lessons, may be a bit more representative and put you under a little more pressure, like test, that could help, but real issue is most likely handling the pressure, NOT the bike.

Davemc37 wrote:
I'm at the stage where I've just failed my mod one on the slow manoeuvres and I'm not confident that my das training firm have got any helpful approach to passing other than do another generic mod one training session where out of four hours I'll probably get 2 or 3 shots at the u turn and the slalom by the time we get to the test centre ( they book it for an hour or two on Saturdays but it's slow progress as they treat you like newcomers each time

See bold. If you don't have confidence in your school, use another. THEY must however have had some confidence in you or they wouldn't have put you i for test. But, no likey way schooley worky, use another school.

How many times have you failed Mod 1? Why do you presume, they will treat you like an absolute beginner and teach you by the script, not what you.. think... you need?

First up you ARE an absolute beginner!! A few lessons does not make you an ace overnight! It's not like you have just faled your Master's thesis and the proff wants you to go back to primary school and practice your A-B-C!

Next; if you have ssues with the way the school organise thier lessons, and the trainig they offer you, talk to the ruddy school! Or change school!

Many reasons they may work by rote, but most likely one is that's the way they stricture things to keep costs down. Want one to one tailored lessons, it aint going to be as cheap. But, talk to the school! They probably be happy to do what you ask, and give you what you think you need; after all he who pays the organ grinder!

BUT,end of the day, their bike, their rules. If thats what they want you to do, so you can use thier bike for another go at the test, and that's most cost effective way to get bike for the test, suck it up, mate!... or find another school, who will heed the organ grinder, but expect to pay the extra for it... and be warned; if you choose to excersise that prerogative and ignore instructors advice, and still fail, that's not the instructors fault.... so don't go blame the organ grinder if you don't like the tune you called!

Would I lend you my bike to practice in a car-park? Possibly. Biker rules; "You bend it, You mend it!" BTW Have you tried pushing quarter ton of bike with bent bars two miles, up hill, to my house from town? Do you know how much mirrors, bar ends, brake levers and petrol tanks and resprays cost? Are you sre you'd want to borrow it after you have contemplated that?

But short answer is I think you are looking for a difficult answer to a simple problem.... you muffed t on test, there were no guarantees; go book the repeat test lesson, try again! Stop looking for ways to complicate the matter ad make more problems, NOT tackling the real one! You muffed it! No one was killed in the muffing; so try, try again! And try NOT to muff it next time! Last muffing was probably ALL the 'practice' you need!

Mike, thanks for your response there's some good stuff in there. The reason for not just rebooking it is that between an extra lesson and the retest it's about £200 and more importantly a day off work I can't fit in so I need to be confident if nailing it next time.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What school are you with? Going by the location on your map we could probably recommenced a better one.

Going by his spelling of licence I'd assumed he was in America Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:42 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
The reason for not just rebooking it is that between an extra lesson and the retest it's about £200 and more importantly a day off work I can't fit in so I need to be confident if nailing it next time.

That's barrel of monkeys thinking, one monkey hug of another, off another off other, util the whole chain comes tumbling down... its not helping.

You are hanging monkeys, purring pressure on yourself, looking at it that IF you DON'T pass, it costs you more money.... rather than, if you DO pass, you 'save' having to spend the extra... small shift in view, big change in the pressure.

£200 for test; day off work, yu.. Dats DAS, and failing comes expensive.

No-One makes you do DAS, no one makes you ride a motorbike; And if you are old enough to do-DAS, then you obviousely haven't been in too much of a hurry to get a motorbike licence till now, so what's the rush?

Modern system that essentially demands DAS to get a RWYL'A' licence is a bt of a PITA, but thats the system. If you want cheaps, you do the 125 'thing'. If you want the cudos of the big-stuff, you caugh up.. harsh, but that's the bottom line.

If you want cheap, and convenient, then you can buy a 125, and self book tests, and do it all on your own time to suit yourself, ad t is 'cheaps'. You dont get the ride-what-you-like licence that lets you go jump straight onto a 500+cc machine straight off the stops, but so what; big bikes just cost more. 125's can go as fast as anything else is legally allowed to in this country, and break enough speed limits along the way, if you are daft enough, they ted to return impressibe mpg, and have pretty low running costs ot havig the erformance to stress expensve tyres ad chains and stuff in such short order, so IF you are worried about the costs, THAT is what you do and, cut your cloth to suit your means.

There aren't an awful lot of reasons to 'need' a big bike, that begs a higher category licence; and these days, most big bikes are ironically the 'toys' the tiddlers get accused of beig. Over half the bikes on our roads are sub 125, and between them they account for around 2/3 of all bike miles... they tend to work for their living whilst the big-bikes sit around in garages to be pulled out the toy-box only when the sun-shines just for fun...

So, doing DAS, with the ambition of obtaining higher licence entitlement, to ride bigger, more expensive bikes, that are so often ;just for fun'.... do it for the fun! What's the rush? Whats the imperative? WHY is it so important? It's not like your livelihood depends on it, like pasting HGV tests or Medical finals or something, is it? If you can afford it, great, why not. If you cant, don't do it! But either way WHY hag the monkeys on the tree, putting pressure on yourself you dont need, and wont help, just for the sake of?

And £200? If that's a big deal in the scale of stuff, then frankly; you probably cant afford to ride big bikes anyway! A Day off work? Yup, inconvenient but again, if you cant find the time to take tests, when you going to find time to ride big bike?

And buying a big-bike, trying to sort insurance, to do practic you probably dont need, isn't going to do much good, whilst havig big-bike sat i shed, you cant ride, doing nothing, is just goingto be aother problem, a liability ad a huge frstration putting even more utterly unnecessary pressure and imperative on you to pas, JUST so you ca go ride it to justify having it! ike I said, t's ot really part of the solution, its ust adding to the problems.

Turn the thinking on its head; stop hanging monkeys off the tree! If you are doing this for the fun don't make it so much un-fun, putting the pressure on yourself over stuff that shouldn't really matter! ITS JUST FOR FUN!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for doing das is that I have changed jobs now and need to commute from Essex to west London which currently takes about 80 minutes each way on public transport. I used to do a similar but much shorter commute on a bike many years ago before getting married and having kids so I know it's not without its hassles and troubles but if it means I get an extra hour of my life back each day and I can have some fun at the weekends then that's a big plus.

So the reason for das its its too long a commute on m25/a13 to do on a 125.

The reason for complaining about the price is £200 is a lot of money to spend on something you can cock up so quickly and this was why I was thinking about finding a way to practise on my own bike if I had one. Lots of extra £200 will eat up the budget I have for a bike quite quickly.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes extra £200s will eat up any big bike budget but without a license its no good having a million pound bike budget.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

3. If someone without a license asked you if you could use their bike to practise the slow manoeuvres on what would you say.

I'd say sure thing, show me a valid CBT and hand me £580 and you can take your pick from any of the 5 DAS bikes we have on site and I'll get you through your Mod 1 and Mod 2.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:54 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
The reason for doing das is that I have changed jobs now and need to commute from Essex to west London which currently takes about 80 minutes each way on public transport. I used to do a similar but much shorter commute on a bike many years ago before getting married and having kids so I know it's not without its hassles and troubles but if it means I get an extra hour of my life back each day and I can have some fun at the weekends then that's a big plus.

RELAX! - Untangle a few of them plastic monkeys! You are making me need reach for a chill pill!

You have a 'imperative'.. getting to work... you obviously do, and suggestion of public transport, say that that in itself is not actually a 'problem'.. you can get there... it's just not all that 'nice' and takes quite a long time. Is that really a 'problem' and if so, is it such a major one?

Davemc37 wrote:
"get an extra hour of my life back each day".

THIS really needs a little more looking at. The hours you have so far spent getting to work.... you will NEVER get back! They are spent, gone, never to return! The hours you MAY spend getting to work in the future... you haven't 'spent' yet.. you wont get them 'back' either! You still have them! You are mourning the 'loss' of something you haven't lost!

You are frustrated, that you are 'committed' to spend those future hour you haven't spent, and begrudge that you will have to spend them... but, in the monkeys, you have convinced yourself they are already spent... and so you want them back! Now you are adding imaginary monkeys to the chain!! STOP IT!

IF you even 'won' what and hour a day off your comute time? Half our in the morning, half hour in the evening? At what cost? How much the added 'stress' of being the one in the drving seat, having to do the work, make the decissions and keep the plot on track? And what's the 'gain'? Enough time to maybe have an extra bleary eyed cup of coffe before you set off, and arriving home early enough to be told to sit down and shut up whilst Corran-enders-Farm-sde is on telly? Is it really 'useful' worth the stress and hassle 'qualty' time you can make good use of, or get real beneft from?

Davemc37 wrote:
and I can have some fun at the weekends

Another monkey, and probably an imaginary one! Plenty of ways to have 'fun' at the week-end. Many can include a motorbike, and not necesserily on a public road. But it's just another monkey. And likely an imaginary one, where again, you are kidding yourself that 'need' for get to work transport, will some-how 'give' you a free 'toy' for the weekend, when in fact ofte utterly about face; and you are just spending an awful lot of extra money on your every-day transport, to probably not get all that much 'toy'from it on the week-end for it, even if you have the time to use it.

Davemc37 wrote:

No, no it isn't. Its the traffic that makes the job tiresome, not the size of the bike engine. And 125's may use motorways too, if you have an A1-Licence, you dont have to do-DAS, 125's can also go just as fast as anythig else legally may, even on a motorway.

If you 'believe' your commute is too long by 125, then it's probably too long by any bike, and almost certaily too long by any other means; DAS is not solving that problem... the 'real' solution is probably move closer to work, or get a job closer to where you live.....

But, reveal is in your thinking, and the monkeys you are hanging on the tree, convincng yourself, of the certainty of this suggestion, to justfy why your preffered solution, DAS, is the ONLY solution.... it is't.. it's merely one amongst the compromise you have to choose between, and the one you would preffer.

Davemc37 wrote:
The reason for complaining about the price is £200 is a lot of money to spend on something you can cock up so quickly

Welcome to the wonderful world of bikes! That is but small potatoes! Bikes can be written off, for falling off thier side-stand! And there are hundreds of ways to costly cock-ups on two wheels.. if you aren't prepared for that, then it's probably not something to be persuing; you are just adding monkeys, to find problems, frustrations and 'stress' you really dont need, to not actually solve anything in particular or imporve your existance any.

You haven't 'lost' or even 'wasted' £200, you just haven't got all you hoped to 'win' for it, its very obviouse 'Gambler's Logc'!

Biking really is an allegory for life in general; in the saddle you are in the middle of a host of competing forces, all trying to make you crash, KIDDNG yourself that you are 'in control'.. when truth, is at best, you are merely a passenger with influence!

It's a suggestion many struggle to accept; especially in puritan legacy wester cuture, where khama is butting against engrained notions of gnosis, free will and self deturmination.... and syndromes of psycology in the realms of 'Gambler's Logic' start to take precidence and people will selectively weight or de-rate cold hard facts, purely on preference, rather than acept an unpalitable truth.

Intersting feature of 'Gamblers Logic', studies reveal is how many gamblers, actually tally what they dont win, as 'losses' all they have actually 'lost' is the stake they put on the table; YET, they put a quid on a horse at 50:1, and in thier mind, and they will actually often even say, when the horse doesn't come in, that they 'lost' £50 on the bet... no, they lost a quid. But, in thier mind, the moment they placed the bet, they had convinced themselves it would win; and had counted those wnnings as being already in thier hand... but they never were.

It's a very dangerouse condition; and there an awful lot of 'Gamblers Logic' is displayed by motorcyclists, to thier riding... and not just by Revin-Kevin's obviousely taking big risks, for small thrills. Senesible Simon; " I haven't fallen off a motorcycle in twenty years! I'm a GOOD rider, I dont take silly chances! Its NOT going to happen to me! Never has, so never will!" IS actually ignoring the odds, the facts, the real actual 'risks', as much as Revin Kevin devil may-care, riding into obviouse danger, convinced he'll get away with it, because that's the outcome he preffers; and it's the same 'thinking' as the gambler who has a system, or the one who just bets wrecklessly.. only difference is bikers are putting thier arse, and others on the line... not a few quids worth of chips!

A-N-D... here and now, you are displaying, quite dangerousely that exact same sort of 'thinking'!.. You sat Mod 1, and failed. Now that 'loss' is ramped, and it's not just the hour of MOD1 time, and the cost of the test/lesson, you feel you have lost, but all the stuff, you never had, but hoped to gain from passing.... and are looking for ways around to get all the things you have hung on the monkey tree, you merely hoped to 'win', but now, have covinced yourself you HAVE to win.. because because because....

It is a very dangerose route to travel; Right here, right now, its not helping you much, it's just atfically raising the stakes, and, suggesting off-the wall outside odds 'bets', like the big-bike-in-the-car-park hanging ever more on the monkey-chain, whilst you stew all your ambitions, and entrech into that mode of thinking, and up the pressure, without upping your odds of actually getting what you hope for it.

Carry on in that 'mode' you will engrain Gambler's logic, and the traits that are very very dangerouse, and unhelpful, and continue adding furstrations, not solving problems, likely makng more, and larger problems, NOT improving the quality of your existance....

Message on the Fruit-Machine reads "For Amusement Purposes Only"... dont bet your bus-fare home in the thing, because you expect to win the price of another pint, then moan you never got your pint when walking home! It's JUST FOR FUN... dont hang anything else on that.

Stop compounding everything into this 'one' thing! You have,pretty randomly, mixed up and joined together, 'need' to get to work, with time with your family with wanting fun at the week-end, with, the imperatives of balancing the budgets, to the merits of motorcycle travel, the cost of motorbike lessons, the convenience of DSA appointment slots, and the hassle of getting time off work! AND, bagged them all up, and picked on the cost of lessons as the 'key' to solving all the problems around the lot!!!!

RELAX, "For Amusement Purposes Only"... it's just for fun! And you cant loose what you have never had. STOP the gambler's logic; stop weighting the game; irrationally prioratising your hopes and ambitions and preferred outcome against the odds. Take the monkeys off the tree; look at them, consider how important any of them really are, and if you actually need a monkey tree at all... Then return to the matter... with a clear head, and fewer 'worries' and NOTHING riding on them.

Relax... and enjoy... and remember, you are only ever a passenger with influence... make the best of it, and don't kill yourself trying to change what cant be changed, or ruing the loss of stuff you never had!

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:40 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:28 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
The reason for doing das is that I have changed jobs now and need to commute from Essex to west London which currently takes about 80 minutes each way on public transpor

if it means I get an extra hour of my life back each day and I can have some fun at the weekends then that's a big plus.

Just how short is this commute that will allow you to save a hour?????

I commute 20 miles across a city center. The best I can save on the bike is around 30 mins. Unless the roads are totally stuffed up, due to closures.

M25 is that not a car park at peak times, and plenty of others. So even a 125 will be able to handle the speeds.

Personally I would get a 125 and see how it goes while you sort out the DAS.
That gives you the experience and much needed practice. You may also find that you do not like commuting on the bike as it's too stressful with everyone out to kill you....
After 8 years of commuting. I now rather sit in my car listing to music and enjoying the view's (through a student area Laughing ) and come home far more relaxed than I did on the bike Karma

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biking into London everyday

have you read the London bike theft thread yet

imagine how stressed you will be when you come out of work and find it gone

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:30 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:
m25

get a 125

Not on L plates.

Other routes are doubtless available though.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Other routes are doubtless available though.

A406 but it's an absolute pig of a journey.

I can see the logic, TBH. I'd rather do M25 all the way round and back in the other side of town, too.

Note that he said an hour a day, ie half hour each way - I'd say that's realistic albeit some days when the M25 isn't playing ball it won't be much of a saving at all, unless you're super brave with the filtering.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Mod 1's that although it's off the road, I believe you still need to have insurance. That sort of rules out meeting someone at the centre and having a go on their bike, unless examiners can be easily hoodwinked? Smile

Also personally I'd need to ride the bike a bit to get a feel for it (even for Mod 1), I think if I had to jump on a bike I've only ridden round a car park I'd fail.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
biking into London everyday

have you read the London bike theft thread yet

imagine how stressed you will be when you come out of work and find it gone

Yes I've read all about it and watch videos of people trying to steal bikes when you are at lights etc etc, but in the grand scheme of things I have access to secure underground parking so it's not out on the streets. Nothing is failsafe I know but I want to give this a go.

Oh and by the way it takes me 90 minutes each way approximately on public transport and I reckon an hour on the bike. I will usually be travelling outside of rush hour. And even if it's only half an hour saved, and I reckon it will be more for some trips it means that I can get home in time to pick the kids up from cubs or whatever then it's worth it.

Don't know why I'm having to justify this

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:31 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Note that he said an hour a day, ie half hour each way - I'd say that's realistic albeit some days when the M25 isn't playing ball it won't be much of a saving at all, unless you're super brave with the filtering.

Are we comparing apples to oranges to tomato here?
Car vs Bike vs Bus or Train?

I uses to have to commute 50 miles each way across brum a day; average journey time at 'peak' hours was usually something in the 1 3/4 hr order, depending on M6 road-works, and what time I got up. I could and did save time using the bike compared to car, whether I put the bike up the car-park of the motorway, or took to the backstreets. Public transport? Actually probably the quicker, if I could snick an intercity; then it would be a ten minute walk each end, and a forty minute train ride. If I had to take one of the 'country' trains, it was easily a two hour trip, even if the trains weren't delayed and I didn't have to switch at New-St. But big lesson of that run was that I could save more time, in the car, leaving the house half hour 'early' then having an hour or more to have breakfast in the canteen!

Other one when I lived out the sticks and commuted 20odd miles into Brum every day; no convenient M-Way; and approx 45min to 1hr run in the car up the A-Roads. I could shave time off the trip on the bike, maybe 10- 15mn; but I rarely gained any benefit for it. By the time I'd togged up and togged off ether end, practical saving was barely the time it took kettle to boil. 3-min on an hour.... AND most of the saving was by riding like a dick, TBH! First 15-miles of country road, and making time breaking speed-limits; then in town, taking a lot of chances with pretty aggressive filtering. It wasn't a recipe for a long and healthy riding career, that's for sure, and I got the speeding tickets to attest to it! Clunky old country Train, took just under an hour; and I had about 20min walk one end and 2min the other! Took longer.. but, I didn't risk life, limb or licence along the way, or have stress of traffic!

Conclusion:

Apples to Oranges of Bike to Car; you 'may' make time saves on a bike, but probably not as big as you'd imagine, and a lot of what might be made from ramping risks.

Apples to Tomatoes; Car/bike, probably does offer useful savings in journey time over a Bus/Train, which can ramp times drastically depending on time-tables and changes and walk ether end; main advantage of personal transport is door-to-door convenience, and not having to work to some-one else's schedule, but then you dot have any of the 'work' stress or risks to contend with.

But, ultimately, I think, more a matter of time management than time saving, really; And very all circumstance dependent; But as the 50mile marathon hinted; picking travel time I could arrive over an hour early, just by leaving half an hour earlier; but that 'saving' is only of use, if you can actually make use of that time, doing something other than 'travel'...I mean why 'rush' home, and have all that stress and hassle after a hard day at the grind stone, just to be told to it down and shut up and watch a mind-numbing soap opera you don't even enjoy!

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:54 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Insuring a bike without a full license Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

There aren't an awful lot of reasons to 'need' a big bike, that begs a higher category licence; and these days, most big bikes are ironically the 'toys' the tiddlers get accused of beig. Over half the bikes on our roads are sub 125, and between them they account for around 2/3 of all bike miles... they tend to work for their living whilst the big-bikes sit around in garages to be pulled out the toy-box only when the sun-shines just for fun...

They're not so much fun going up hills, screwing around with gears and the annoying engine noise when you have to rev it up.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Me neither; and I'm not even going to go as far as skim reading Teffers' posts to find out.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

It feels like London is the Wild West at the moment, and not far off of burning roadblocks and piano wire strung at neck height.

I know it's not really quite that bad yet, but everybody love a bit of drama and doom mongering.

I can't imagine commuting in London by bike, but then I can't imagine commuting in it any other way either.

You'll doubtless be fine, and it's always fun to succeed despite Tef's advice. Whistle

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:

Me neither; and I'm not even going to go as far as skim reading Teffers' posts to find out.

The final clarification for teflon is that I have about 30 minutes of walking each way at present which is very savable time. If I get back home earlier then I get to take my son to football training which helps to offset stress.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2