Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet camera battery life?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:26 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Helmet camera battery life? Reply with quote

I currently use a HD drift and carry 4 batteries with me. This necessitates a stop every 60 minutes to replace the batteries that say they are 2500mah. Though my smart charger says they only have about 1200mah.

What does BCF suggest to extend the battery life? Bodge up some sort of connector to an external battery? I have loads of 1.2volt Nimh cells is it just a case of wiring 3 of them up (1.2 x 3 = 3.6v) and then putting multiple stacks to give a similar voltage but more miliamps?

Wire in a connector to the bike battery?

Thanks
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:29 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Ride less.

Blasphemy...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get approx 1 hour 10 mins from my GoPro with the standard 1190mah batteries and that's with the WiFi and 2 LEDS on. I don't know if it can be done with Drift but can you run the charger from a USB on your bike? That way it's unlimited power source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainpal evolution has built in camera will doutless have ∞ battery life

Rainpal the road ahead is clear

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:10 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an external power bank to power my Stealth on longer rides. Add a springy micro-USB cable, slip it in your pocket, great success.

Somewhat surprisingly, it does seem to deliver whopping great gobs of energy for hour after hour, although I haven't tested the 5.2Ah claim. Lidl FTW. Random eBay models would be riskier.
Teflon-Mike This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:54 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
How many hours of on-bike effing footage do you think you are ever going to watch FFS!

Because Ronnie Pickering Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that at 720 or 1080? Give Rogerborg's idea a go, not sure regarding the camera but the smaller (lipstick size) anker power banks will normally charge my phone to about halfway from flat, and the bigger large chocolate bar size will charge it a couple of times.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
How many hours of on-bike effing footage do you think you are ever going to watch FFS!

Perhaps as much as we'd read of one of your wall-o-text posts?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:39 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

The 30 seconds where some Nardo or Sho'neequa mashes you up a treat and then drives off, which will pay for the camera many times over. We're not all living off of PIP.

They have purposes other than vlogging, although it's probably best not to lie about having footage of a "and then the whole restaurant clapped" style justice fantasy if you're unable to produce it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I use an external power bank to power my Stealth on longer rides. Add a springy micro-USB cable, slip it in your pocket, great success.

Somewhat surprisingly, it does seem to deliver whopping great gobs of energy for hour after hour, although I haven't tested the 5.2Ah claim. Lidl FTW. Random eBay models would be riskier.

I do the same.

20000ma powerbank in the inside jacket pocket, usb charging wire up and out of the neck. I use it all week for an hour commute each way and then charge it up fully at the weekend.
Thumbs Up

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem a bit crap. I've got a garmin virb. Not sure what size the battery is, but I get 2h30 to 3 hours out of it. That is runnig a gps sensor too alongside having the viewfinder in. 1080 hd.

You can pick these up cheap now on eBay etc as there is a second version out. 100 quid or so should secure you one with a bit more for the mounting kit.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Go find your video folder; open up your; media viewer; click play.... then ask yourself... "Why am I sat here, watching a video of a road I have already ridden? Why don't I grab hat, and go spend an hour looking for a NEW road to actually ride, in real time, for real instead?"

No batteries required! Problem solved!

If you actually rode bikes you might have noticed people use cameras in case of an incident rather than to watch themselves riding. Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
If you actually rode bikes you might have noticed people use cameras in case of an incident rather than to watch themselves riding. Thumbs Up

This. It's a fucking dashcam, not a "View Generator".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:21 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about when you lie about having camera footage of an incident that didn't happen in order to get attention, then lie that you won't post the camera footage because you don't like attention?

Which lie should people believe? Thinking

Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:25 - 12 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera battery life? Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I currently use a HD drift and carry 4 batteries with me. This necessitates a stop every 60 minutes to replace the batteries that say they are 2500mah. Though my smart charger says they only have about 1200mah.

What does BCF suggest to extend the battery life? Bodge up some sort of connector to an external battery? I have loads of 1.2volt Nimh cells is it just a case of wiring 3 of them up (1.2 x 3 = 3.6v) and then putting multiple stacks to give a similar voltage but more miliamps?

Wire in a connector to the bike battery?

Thanks

Get in touch with Adam Aarons via sales@rainpal.co.uk

He has an ingenious method of extending the running time of electrical devices.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Much as I'm usually don't give a shit about pricks like you twisting shit to fit your fucked up mental health issues, I've reached the point where a short, Scottish prick getting mouthy behind the safety of a keyboard repeatedly calling me a liar when I am no such thing is getting to me, and I'm quite inclined to smash your fucking teeth in.

Consider yourself warned if we meet.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Much as I'm usually don't give a shit about pricks like you twisting shit to fit your fucked up mental health issues, I've reached the point where a short, Scottish prick getting mouthy behind the safety of a keyboard repeatedly calling me a liar when I am no such thing is getting to me, and I'm quite inclined to smash your fucking teeth in.

Consider yourself warned if we meet.

Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right? Dance!

Come BCF BBQ, we can all gather round the campfire and watch the real video of the true incident that actually happened. I'll apologise in person, it'll be really humiliating for me.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I'm quite inclined to smash your fucking teeth in. Consider yourself warned if we meet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b776p8nwx6ugs3/twat-vs-roger.jpg?raw=1

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I know, right? Dance!

Come BCF BBQ, we can all gather round the campfire and watch the real video of the true incident that actually happened. I'll apologise in person, it'll be really humiliating for me.

No, but we *will* meet. I'll be making sure of it, promise. You also won't like it. Promise that as well.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
mouthy behind the safety of a keyboard

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No, but we *will* meet. I'll be making sure of it, promise. You also won't like it. Promise that as well

Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No, but we *will* meet. I'll be making sure of it, promise. You also won't like it. Promise that as well.

Does your mother know you do this type of stuff?

Where do you wanna meet?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/NnoGhN1.gif
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2