Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HP laptops secretly recording user keystrokes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: HP laptops secretly recording user keystrokes Reply with quote

https://news.sky.com/story/hp-laptops-secretly-recording-user-keystrokes-10873634

The company says it is "aware of the keylogger issue" which was accidental, and promises fixes will be available shortly.

Security researchers have discovered that a feature installed in a number of HP laptops is recording all of the keystrokes that the laptop users make.

In capturing everything users press on their keyboards the software is recording sensitive information, and by saving that information in an easily accessible file the researchers claim that it is potentially exposing users' passwords to attackers.

According to the Swiss cybersecurity group behind the research, Modzero, the feature wasn't designed to spy on users - but it was implemented in such a way that it records everything users type.

This means that from the moment a user logs into Windows on affected HP laptops, every key they press, including to enter passphrases for online banking and email accounts, is recorded and stored.

The security firm claims that this "leads to a high risk of leaking sensitive user input".

"Users are not aware that every keystroke made while entering sensitive information - such as passphrases (or) passwords on local or remote systems - are captured by (the software)," the security advisory continued.

The researchers complained that they first reported the issue to HP on 28 April, but decided to publish their security advisory yesterday because HP had failed to respond to them.

Speaking to Sky News, a spokesperson for HP said the company was "aware of the keylogger issue on select HP PCs."

HP told Sky News: "Our supplier partner developed software to test audio functionality prior to product launch and it should not have been included in the final shipped version. Fixes will be available shortly via HP.com."

28 models of HP laptops running either Windows 7 or Windows 10 are affected, the full list of which is available on Modzero's advisory notice. HP declined to inform Sky News of how many customers it believes may be affected by the issue.

According to market analysis by Gartner, HP's machines accounted for 19.5% of worldwide personal computer shipments during the first quarter of this year, with over 12 million units being shipped.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:48 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory: 'The software said "Requires Windows 7 or better," so I installed Linux.'

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 03:25 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Obligatory: 'The software said "Requires Windows 7 or better," so I installed Linux.'

That's exactly what I did when I first got mine install Linux.

Rogerborg, is that a slight against Linux because the software doesn't work on Linux, yet works on windows 7 or better? Also Mac people may kill you for this too it they dare to leave they shiny white rooms.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:41 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Rogerborg, is that a slight against Linux

Depends. Would we become mortal enemies? My schedule's pretty full at the moment.

I'm saying that installing Mint/Cinnamon/Gnome/GNU/Linux is generally going to be a safer choice than running whatever infested pile of bloatware crud comes on a retail Windows system.

Yeah, games and such though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A linux system would be almost completely useless for me, I do audio production, 3D modelling and yes gaming Smile I built a Hackintosh with a view to switching but even that has proved to be fairly useless. I'm not a Windows fanboy at all it's just the range of software can't be beat.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I keep a Windows box in the corner because sometimes you just have to. The rest of the stable are Lunix though, and I'd encourage people to keep an open mind.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:34 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Going wrote:
Rogerborg, is that a slight against Linux

Depends. Would we become mortal enemies? My schedule's pretty full at the moment.

Oh definitely, maybe we can schedule something in a couple of millennia for a decade or so Smile

Quote:
Yeah, games and such though.

I'm still hoping that some more A* titles come to Linux OS, then maybe I can play more games.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:20 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high hopes for SteamOS, but it looks like Valve have messed it up.

Lower (sometimes much lower) frame rates than Window on the same hardware, even for flagship Valve titles optimised for lunix.

And it turns your expensive PC hardware into a very limited games machine playing a small number of Steam games, while ironically, dedicated games consoles are now full media centres, and cheaper to boot.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/154645497345312174/

https://mspoweruser.com/alienware-says-windows-10-killing-steamos-whole-story/

I wonder how long Valve - and system vendors - will bother to continue with it.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:33 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I had high hopes for SteamOS, but it looks like Valve have messed it up.

I didn't think it would get so far the way went with it. They should of made the box themselves. Where they get the steam games optimized for it (Like ps and xbox). People that want to make their own can download SteamOS, or what I do, use steam client on my Linux box.
That solves the problem of people that want a game machine that just works, and the people you'll build there own.

Rogerborg wrote:
Lower (sometimes much lower) frame rates than Window on the same hardware, even for flagship Valve titles optimised for lunix.

I've not noticed this but I don't run frame rate counters or have played them side by side.
Well a part from the home screens of Total war and Crusader Kings 2, the former have been fixed now the latter I haven't played for some time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1