Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biking days over... sad times

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Biking days over... sad times Reply with quote

After having two bikes stolen within the year, I'm now categorically un-insurable.

Just spoke to a few providers and brokers and all have said the best they can do is TP only, and even then the premiums are ridiculous. Riding a sports bike is out of the question, and anything that is considered desirable in the slightest is a no go.

So my options are to either ride a shitter for a couple of years while paying silly insurance premiums or don't ride at all.

I've decided to not ride as I can't afford to pay the exorbitant premiums, and frankly I want to own a bike I enjoy looking at as much as I enjoy riding it.

sad sad times indeed Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:27 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.
Shame that the actions of some thieving scum has brought you to that decision.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:30 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the option of lying Whistle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Biking days over... sad times Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
After having two bikes stolen within the year, I'm now categorically un-insurable.

Just spoke to a few providers and brokers and all have said the best they can do is TP only, and even then the premiums are ridiculous. Riding a sports bike is out of the question, and anything that is considered desirable in the slightest is a no go.

So my options are to either ride a shitter for a couple of years while paying silly insurance premiums or don't ride at all.

I've decided to not ride as I can't afford to pay the exorbitant premiums, and frankly I want to own a bike I enjoy looking at as much as I enjoy riding it.

sad sad times indeed Sad

Can you move to a better area where theft isn't as common? (bit late now I know)

Assuming you are in London?

Sucks mate

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Biking days over... sad times Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Can you move to a better area where theft isn't as common? (bit late now I know)

Assuming you are in London?

Sucks mate

Yep - London.

Planning to move next year but it's just a plan at the moment, and no guarantee it'll be considered a less riskier area.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being flippant but why would bad area for thefts affect 3rd Party only policies?
If someone steals it and crashes it are they still potentially liable for damaged caused to something else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Not being flippant but why would bad area for thefts affect 3rd Party only policies?
If someone steals it and crashes it are they still potentially liable for damaged caused to something else?

As far as I'm aware, yes. I believe there are circumstances that can lead to TP being able to claim on any live policy attached to the bike, even if the policy holder is not riding it.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit times mate. Thumbs Down

Seeing the amount of stolen bikes being reported in London, either by thieves in vans or scum on mopeds I can't say I'm surprised with the insurance companies response though.

Get out of London if you can. Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

They are hot on it now.

My Missus went to reinsure her car this year, her renewal was ~£400 she got one for ~£260 rang them to take them up on it and the bloke said you haven't declared 2 accidents.

Early this year she was hit by a car that drove off and had her car hit whilst parked. Stupidly she rang the insurance both times but no claims were made.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:59 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

They are hot on it now.

My Missus went to reinsure her car this year, her renewal was ~£400 she got one for ~£260 rang them to take them up on it and the bloke said you haven't declared 2 accidents.

Early this year she was hit by a car that drove off and had her car hit whilst parked. Stupidly she rang the insurance both times but no claims were made.

Only if you use your full name. I've been Paddy on my insurance for years, not Patrick. Laughing Only realised when I went to renew and they'd not picked up the theft claim. Different address and different name, skillz

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

They are hot on it now.

Now that pisses me off. She wasn't at fault and didn't claim. She did the so called right thing informing her insurance company and gets reamed for doing it. (and I bet you don't like anyone else reaming your wife Wink )

It makes you agree with Paddy, might as well lie.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point, one of the advisors (cant remember which company) told me a lot of their underwriters are pulling out of London altogether. So even if you have a garage/drive it's still likely that premiums will be high as less competition in the market.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Only if you use your full name. I've been Paddy on my insurance for years, not Patrick. Laughing Only realised when I went to renew and they'd not picked up the theft claim. Different address and different name, skillz

..and how would one go about carrying out such dastardly and clearly immoral deeds? Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third party only means you can park it in your imaginary garage Wink

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I never got how someone crashing into you or stealing your item (if you are following the requirements in your insurance) should affect your premiums, they really need to re-think how insurance is done, it is not surprising people drive/ride without insurance

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie to them as much as you want and everything should be plain sailing unless you ever need to claim on your policy. Laughing

As much as someone crashing into your car whilst it's parked isn't your fault, it could easily be argued that someone who has previously left their car in places where other people drive into it are a higher risk than people who haven't been leaving their car somewhere where it gets crashed into. Wink

And lastly... if you were an insurance company, would you want to insure bikes that are kept in London?
Itchy This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozzers need to start chasing bikes again. If a scrote wraps himself around a lamp-post, fuck him.

Look out for me on kickstarter with my jet-ski style motorcycle key that's attached to the rider.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a minor incident on my bike that needed some pretty costly repairs. I just bit the bullet and paid
from my own pocket for exactly this reason despite full comp. 16519 bikes nicked in London alone in a year, and
it's the law abiding getting smashed by the insurers rather than the root cause being dealt with. Why aren't the
insurers pushing the Police to do more? That's in everyones interest but the scummers.

That totally sucks OP, my bike premium has gone up threefold this year because I had a CAR accident a few
weeks ago and have added a few mods to the bike. That's another fucking irritation, I was reversing the car,
so even if my reversing skills do need work. (they don't btw) How is my risk on a bike any worse? I'm not likely
to be reversing it anytime soon. (Inb4 Goldwing) No wonder they're all driving round in 911's!! Bloody insurers.

If I'm going to get stung on my car, bike and van insurance for something that happened in the car then
all 3 vehicles should be able to be lumped in on one policy. They might as fucking well be.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

That totally sucks OP, my bike premium has gone up threefold this year because I had a CAR accident a few
weeks ago

Recently did my car insurance and they specifically stated they will not take into account my bike related claims as it doesn't make me a worst of driver. Quite happy about that.

However, on bike insurances, they want to know everything to do with cars, vans etc as somehow a bus rear ending your car makes you a shitty biker.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I never got how someone crashing into you or stealing your item (if you are following the requirements in your insurance) should affect your premiums

Not just motor insurance. Years ago we made the mistake of adding my daughter's stuff on to our house contents policy while she was living away as student. When the inevitable laptop theft occurred, I rang up to claim for it, only to be quoted a get-out clause. Annoying enough in itself, but more so was the fact that the incident still affected my premiums for the next 5 years, despite the fact that I pulled my daughter off the policy immediately after the theft. Spit.

TheArchitect wrote:
somehow a bus rear ending your car makes you a shitty biker.

That's because apparently you now have a habit of jamming on the anchors while riding/driving, for no reason Cool

Look on the bright side(?) - in 5 years' time, you can buy a new bike and when you apply for insurance, when they ask, 'have you made any claims in the last 5 years', the answer is no! And the cycle begins again...

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Honda Grom or similar, you could keep it in the house, which is at least close to garaged.

grr666 wrote:
That's in everyones interest but the scummers.

Unless when you say 'scummers' you mean the insurance company, you're wrong. The insurers still make a packet by upping premiums. Most people would suck it up and pay, it's the few that would say "fuck it, no more biking for me".

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

They are hot on it now.

I agree.

When I phoned my insurer about renewing he told me I had a claim I hadn't declared, but that it went in my favour. I was adamant that I had no such claim but after further digging it turned out to be when my wife's car was hit by a drunk driver whilst parked. Because it was me who parked the car the 'claim' was on my record.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say scummers I mean feral half breeds spending their evenings blasting round on nicked
bikes nicking even more bikes, and mugging people while the baby mamas they fell out of sit around in
a weed induced haze with no clue and not much interest what their little charmers are out up to. Bruv.

I am sucking it up and paying, and paying and then paying again. Brick Wall

TheArchitect wrote:
Recently did my car insurance and they specifically stated they will not take into account my bike related claims as it doesn't make me a worst of driver. Quite happy about that.

However, on bike insurances, they want to know everything to do with cars, vans etc as somehow a bus rear ending your car makes you a shitty biker.

Well quite, I'd expect the car insurance to go up. Because that's.... Wait for it.... FAIR .
Carole Gash quoted me yesterday over 450 quid for the spacker which after I fell off the chair
laughing they were magically able to knock a hundred quid off while I was still on the phone. Why not quote that
price in the fucking first place??? Particularly when I made it crystal clear I was ringing around for the best price
BECAUSE of the changes to the bike and wanting to keep it all legit by declaring my bump in the car. It's immoral
that they can load up 3 different policies over this, particularly as I've not tried to hide anything from them. Yet I'm
expected to be whiter than white and declare what pants I had on on the day of the crash. They asked me what the
claim amount was for my car incident. I genuinely didn't know, I know what my car cost to fix, but wasn't given
anymore info than that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to have had bikes nicked for these bastards to try to screw you over. Just recently reinsured mine. Got quotes online, and my current insurers were the cheapest. But I hadn't had the chance to declare my 6 points online, so like a fool, decided to phone them to check they had that noted for this quote.

No, they said, that'll increase your premium. But I'm insured with you now, and you have that information already for my current policy? Yes, but you didn't declare it on your info. for the new quote. But I wasn't asked for that!

Also, they said, you claimed that it was in a brick garage. No, for my last policy with you, it clearly states wooden shed, I used to have it in a brick garage at my last address. Oh, still puts your premium up. Confused

And you should always phone for quotes, not go online through comparison sites, they said, cos they cause lots of problems like this. Oh really, it's the comparison sites that cause the problems is it? Rolling Eyes

So I argued that none of the so-called misinformation they had was due to me, and presto! Within a minute they could knock £100 off the new premium. It's getting to be like haggling in a Moroccan souk or something. Which I guess just goes to show the level they're at.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4