Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The Black Widows are iconic as well Cool

I love the Black Widows. I always wanted one of those helmets with the horns, but I'd only end up looking Wagnerian.

https://marissabloom.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/opera-singer.jpg

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:12 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Africa Twin Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Dave.... wrote:
Took a test ride on an Africa Twin........
Your thoughts are appreciated.

yes.. i`ve been lookin at these too.. they have just put up the new list price .....but there appears to be a lot of low millage second hand examples around on auto trader..

off road .. seriously ..who wants to do that ... maybe a few unkempt C roads or odd unclassified...
anyway what did it ride like ... smooth power delivery ?

Was easy to ride, smooth gearshifts, light clutch and took bends well but found at speed with bit of sidewind the head shook a wee bit.
Also long travel forks and using front brake it took a bit to get used to but suspension could be adjusted a bit.
I think it would be fun to ride and comfortable on a longer journey but not sure if I would miss what I have (GSXS 1000F).
Have had a go on a V-Strom but found it a bit basic and the Honda seems a better bike plus I like the look of them.
Would trying a KTM or BMW just confuse it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM will probably end up costing you money forever (ask arry)

The big GS is nice, but hellish expensive compared to the AT.

Did you take the Mrs on the back? If it's for both of you there's no point in you getting one that isn't comfortable for her too.

Also if you're touring you'll have panniers on, probably a topbox too and on any bike that's going to turn you into a big sail in the wind.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested the dct version a few weeks back, not impressed. Bearing in mind rogerborg's warnings on iffy quality, I've left it until now. Not sure if I want to bother with the manual. I wasn't impressed with controls or ride (had 2 different nazi tractors, 1200gs and 800gs, to compare back to).
Then had a cb500 demo as a courtesy bike, I was very impressed with it, and for less than 1/2 Africa twin money. If I was going to buy anything new, I would get a cb500x and spend a bit on some things to make it more of an adventure bike (and have a few grand left over!)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
KTM will probably end up costing you money forever (ask arry)

Deep pockets required it seems. I'm a bit perplexed at mine already, but it is a thunderously good ride, so I feel like I'm putting up with it.

Mate of mine has a 1290 Duke and loves it, had no bother in 10k miles. Maybe he lucky me no lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Have they fixed the 'random stalling in traffic at low speed' issue on the V-Strom?

I wasn't aware there was a stalling issue. Don't recall it stalling at all in the time I've had mine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the other thing about the original Africa twin was there wasn't anything else like it at the time that I can think of.

Now there are a plethora of Adventure bike of various capabilities so the new Africa twin is going to struggle alongside some cracking machinery.

bungleaio
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:31 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No personal experience but there's a good video on these from Harry Metcalfe formally of Evo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xu176gB9Lc&t=0s

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Africa Twin Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:
Chelsea tractor

Indeed; get a real adventure bike that can do off-road Smile.

https://i2.wp.com/www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Yamaha-YZF-R1-sand-dunes-07-635x362.jpg?resize=635%2C362

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does always amaze me when people go on about not using a bike in the manner it is portrayed. Usually it is aimed at the Off Road Adventure Tourer style of bike. I like to off road style because they are usually taller in the seat and lower in the pegs with a good siting position. They also tend to be a good all-rounder for the roads and weather that we have in this country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It does always amaze me when people go on about not using a bike in the manner it is portrayed. Usually it is aimed at the Off Road Adventure Tourer style of bike. I like to off road style because they are usually taller in the seat and lower in the pegs with a good siting position. They also tend to be a good all-rounder for the roads and weather that we have in this country.

Agree with that pretty much entirely albeit I'm not a fan of the fully kitted up GS and rider combo, which is entirely overkill in just about every scenario bike and rider would face.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd imagined OP asked about offroad, but it sneaked in later. Just the tip at first.

As a "GS" owner, I'm very aware that they're overwhelmingly Straße and only very incidentally Gelände.

OP, are you looking at buying outright or PCPing? If the latter, have you looked at the cost-to-own-rent versus a Nazi Tractor?

Last time I crunched it, it came out cheaper than a litre V-Strom, because of dat depreciation.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
depreciation.

With me that never comes into the equation because I hold on to my bikes for so long. I try to buy new and keep them for years and years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from my first £720 bike-in-a-box where I reckoned I couldn't lose much (and didn't), I've never been confident that I'd like a bike enough to do that.

But then again I have kept my midi-Tractor for far longer than I'd imagined I would, so never say never. An AT seems like the sort of bike where you are likely to keep it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
Have they fixed the 'random stalling in traffic at low speed' issue on the V-Strom?

I wasn't aware there was a stalling issue. Don't recall it stalling at all in the time I've had mine.

There was a big issue when I was looking at getting one. Lots of ECU's being replaced because the bike was running too lean when warm for low speeds. Getting a replacement seemed to involve a bit of a fight for each person, followed by a replacement.

It's actually what stopped me buying one.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:57 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode DCT today and wasn't too impressed with that although I can see where it would work well but not for me.
Buying it outright if I decide to buy and managed to negotiate a fairly good deal if I do decide to go for it?
I can see that going of road isn't really going to happen for me but the thought of spending several days on one if I had to in all weathers seems more appealing than what I have at present.Appreciate all the comments as it will help me decide one way or the other.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:
the thought of spending several days on one if I had to in all weathers seems more appealing

That's what I've taken to using my GS for. Rain, winds, generally filthy conditions where you just want to get there and back with as little Adventure as possible.

The one thing I would like on it is traction control, which the Africa Twin has as standard. Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Africa Twin Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:

Was easy to ride, smooth gearshifts, light clutch and took bends well but found at speed with bit of sidewind the head shook a wee bit.
Also long travel forks and using front brake it took a bit to get used to but suspension could be adjusted a bit.
I think it would be fun to ride and comfortable on a longer journey it.

sounds about standard fare for an off roader with road capabilities..

not summit your gonna push hard into corners .. more of a urban traffic and shitty rally site sort of bike ...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would go and get a gs800 before an AT.
However, as I said earlier, would get a cb500x and 'sort' it over both.
My 701 may not carry me over huge miles, 150 easy, 180 hopeful!
But, it does the 'dual' thing!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dave.... wrote:
the thought of spending several days on one if I had to in all weathers seems more appealing

That's what I've taken to using my GS for. Rain, winds, generally filthy conditions where you just want to get there and back with as little Adventure as possible.

The one thing I would like on it is traction control, which the Africa Twin has as standard. Thumbs Up

Most modern bikes have it now and I would expect the modern version of yours to have it as well. It's just another cheap electronic gizmo now. My Tiger had ride by wire, ABS, traction control & cruise control. Gimmicks really.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:12 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get aftermarket traction control - though typically for race bikes and not cheap. I always fancied TC for that time I missed the damp patch/diesel/etc on a commute. Never did have a case where it would have 'saved' anything, but still nice to have that backup.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:01 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The new Africa Twin is much more trying to be the original and failing in my eyes.

I think my issue was with it being "complete and utter nothing but marketing", or somesuch...because isn't that what the entire bike market is? Every bike from every major manufacturer? Nothing is produced simply for the love of engineering.

To that end, as this was my counter argument, Triumph have taken any single historical hook they can in order to hang sales on. The T120 is literally dripping in visual cues to a bygone time.

Honda have taken the name, that's it, and produced a very competent vehicle. OK, and a colour scheme. It's given the ADV market a bit of a kick because they've gone down in capacity and weight rather than indulge this nonsensical spiral to create the world's most unwieldy machine.

Hands up, I love Trumpets and am partial to the AT but I don't own any of them. Just lobbing a rare threepenny bit into the mix Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'down in capacity and weight', we're still talking 10-20% more weight than the original and 33% more capacity.

I thought the original was pretty over weight for the power it produced!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Triumph have used old iconic names in just about all of their range. The difference as I see it is that they are just using a name. The Tiger range is nothing like the original Tiger, neither is the Trophy. The Bonneville is a road bike like the original and maybe comparable looks so to a certain extent I agree with you there.

The Honda could have been a much better Africa twin. To my eyes it is a competent adventure bike where the already have the Crosstourer and had the Varadero rather than a proper go anywhere bike.

That's my real point about using the Africa Twin name. I'm really only saying I think they have missed the point with the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I imagine the conversation went at Honda-san HQ:

Engineer: And so you see, by using a titanium spaceframe chassis and a revolutionary forced induction electronic valve triple we can produce a class defying 450cc bike weighting around 160kg, all for a unit cost of just...

Marketing VP: [points at a picture of an R1200GS] Make that, drop the beak. Got to be at least a litre.

Sales VP: I saw some pig iron in a skip outside, make it from that. Oh, we need it with a red-white-and-blue colour scheme. Lunch?

Marketing VP: Splendid, I hear the dolphin cutlets are very fresh today.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3