Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom bike what would you chose.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Custom bike what would you chose. Reply with quote

This is hypothetical but imagine you could get a custom frame made now this would be built around your choices. Now I'm curious what parts would you choose obviously this all depends what you use it for but go on.

So you have; Engine, forks, Fuel Tank, Wheels.

This is your chance to mix and match any parts can go together.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd question the merits of a custom bike in $CURRENT_YEAR. It's not like when Tef were a mere lad of 50 and frames were apparently made of Meccano and Slinkies.

I've never had a bike where I noticed the frame putting any limitation on my riding, so I guess my answer is that I wouldn't, I'd buy stock.

Oh, my Lifan cruiser's geometry was poor, so I'd avoid that. But everything else I've had has gone where I've pointed it without drama. I can't really see the merit in trying (and almost certainly failing) to do better.

</Boring Old Bloke>

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd question the merits of a custom bike in $CURRENT_YEAR. It's not like when Tef were a mere lad of 50 and frames were apparently made of Meccano and Slinkies.

I've never had a bike where I noticed the frame putting any limitation on my riding, so I guess my answer is that I wouldn't, I'd buy stock.

Oh, my Lifan cruiser's geometry was poor, so I'd avoid that. But everything else I've had has gone where I've pointed it without drama. I can't really see the merit in trying (and almost certainly failing) to do better.

</Boring Old Bloke>

This was more along the lines of you can create a bike from any parts you want. This is the lego bike thread if you want to call it that; a fantasy frame. Aren't there any parts that you would like to combine together Question

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vigaro 535, I wouldn't have to do any building and I would have a usable bike Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 14:57 - 13 May 2017; edited 2 times in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket launcher.

Ejector seat.

Parachute.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

</Boring Old Bloke>

What he said. These days, it's more about wanting to iron out comparatively minor niggles on what's in the showrooms. Since Yamaha introduced its beam frame on the FZR1000 Genesis back in '87 (developed from its GP bikes), frames haven't really been a problem on road bikes. The days of "handles like it has a hinge in the middle" are well and truly in the past, thankfully.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminium but goldy lookin CG 125 frame
Ninjabusa engine
Ferkin big back wheel and scooter front wheel
(cos that will make it always be going down hill, so even faster see?)
Whitewall tyres
Ape hangers
Top box and panniers for shopping
Leg guards to keep the road muck offn me hush puppies
Beaded seat cover
Big wind screen

perfick

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:11 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I guess I am curious about a Grom with a 180cc engine and decent tyres.

£3300 plus the rest though, that's a noooope.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Ferkin big back wheel and scooter front wheel
(cos that will make it always be going down hill, so even faster see?)

I worry about you sometimes.

Perhaps you should go back to designing hotels instead.
Just a thought Mr. Green Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT380 in a Spondon frame with Ohlins / Brembo and all that stuff.

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:08 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

British frame, Jap engine, Italian running gear, That will be my Traveller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego bike? OK, first up, engine. Single cylinder for the look and sound. My favourite eye candy is the simple lines of the Suzuki Savage; the way the exhaust slots in along the case pleases me. Forks? Not fussy, the simpler and cleaner the lines the better. Tank needs to be a decent size, none of this "peanut" style - the shape of the Enfield Bullet is ideal for me, it's proper. Wheels need to be either traditional spoke, or simple alloy (no swoops).

A close approximation would be the Tempter 400 :-

https://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1997/1997_Tempter_490.jpg

pepperami wrote:
Vigaro 535, I wouldn't have to any building and I would have a usable bike Thumbs Up

Give it a decent tank size, raise the seat slightly so that your feet aren't as forward and more underneath you for taking weight when you need to, and I'll buy it Smile

Saying that, my current Bullet pleases me - I'd like a Savage engine in it and shaft drive, please Smile

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cDv56-NGWN0/WB8dDidFpGI/AAAAAAAAAUw/fxNNeynIcXEDei2LI4enO_DA9jBcv3cdQCK4B/s320/Enf350-11-761817.JPG
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Shineray XY400?

https://i.imgur.com/adGaKdP.jpg

Aka Mash 400 / Jawa 350. Available brand new today.

I've never sampled the shaft, but now that you mention it, I'd prefer to belt up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

A close approximation would be the Tempter 400 :-

https://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1997/1997_Tempter_490.jpg

Not tempted.

Flat Tracker styleeee! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Shineray XY400?

https://i.imgur.com/adGaKdP.jpg

Aka Mash 400 / Jawa 350. Available brand new today.

I've never sampled the shaft, but now that you mention it, I'd prefer to belt up.

I was parked next to a Mash 400 at a bike meet Wednesday night - build quality doesn't look that bad and it ticks a lot of my boxes, although at £3890 OTR I would prefer it to mature a bit more before I part with cash - I could get another Electra and have a spending spree at Hitchcocks for that kind of money.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:31 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that MZ missed a trick in their last gasp.

They should have put their own 1000cc vertically stacked paralell twin into a suitably beefed-up version of their baghira chassis.

Now THAT would have been a hoot.

So basically one of these:
https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r47/jwstichler/For%20Sale/IMG_1730Medium.jpg

With the engine from this:
https://databikes.com/imgs/a/b/u/e/e/mz__1000_sf_2006_3_lgw.jpg

Or an Enfield Musket.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:11 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf is that bike Stinkwheel? Looks epic.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:53 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Custom bike what would you chose. Reply with quote

If we're talking a 'custom frame', it'd have to be something that doesn't already exist.

The only thing I can really think of is a half-decent frame to take a cub style engine.

Always liked the idea of this - get really good range of cheap engines with some good economy options. Gives an adaptable bike that 'grow' with people.
No use at all for one, however Smile.

(Or maybe a lightweight off-road adventure setup to take a multi cylinder engine no heavier than the SV650 - though a while ago someone did offer a similar things for the GPz500 engine.)

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

MZ 1000S, I have been keeping an eye out for one popping up alas for the money I doubt they're worth it but certainly unique.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as it's hard to build something truly better than multi million dollar companies, all my specials in my head are just bikes to be different, stand out or provoke a reaction, as I get more interest from that than riding maybe?

1, I've long said on BCF that if I were to build or have built my vision of a hard tail performance chopper, it would either have a large IL4 sports touring engine that's way overpowering for the bike. Think ZZR1400 engine in a bike with no rear suspension etc. Or else I'd like to see a chopper with a big multi cylinder 2stroke engine. Say a GT750 kettle bored out to 850cc for example. Not about making a bike that's better or more useable or sensible for me, but just a two fingers sign to all 45degree V-twin lumps of iron shit.

2, I've also long mentioned Yamaha combining a WR450F style chassis or one that's a bit more road friendly with an R6 engine massively downgeared G- style. Im kind of thinking maybe a dual purpose or motard style bike that's like a 600cc 15000rpm TDR or Nordwest for example. Done right it could make the Aprilia SVX550 seem silly.

3, I've also long fancied trying out a modern 300cc two stroke in a Cagiva Mito for example. 30bhp approx like the 125 but delivered at 6000rpm and with great gobs of low down snap and torque for little or no extra weight.

The same vision I feel for putting a tuned 300cc parallel twin from a Ninja into such a bike like the Mito/RS125. You could get the 300cc Ninja lump back up to its original 45bhp it had as an early 250, but with more midrange and better manners. It would show what the 300cc 14000rpm Kawasaki engine is capable of when shoved into a lighter bike that's an uncompromising full on sports bike, but without the quick seize reputation of the same bikes as 125's.

In final fantasy land, I'd love to see someone develop a chain drive conversion for the Kawasaki Z1300 engine and shed lots of weight from it with magnesium and carbon fibre cases and covers etc. If sanctuary would build me a chain drive Z1300 that's say 50kg lighter than std with about 145bhp, that'd be my ultimate big bike to wank over.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Bottom pic is an MZ1000S with it's lower fairing removed.

Personal preference - VFR750 with gear driven cams, turbo'd for shits and giggles, Spondon chassis, crisp can, bikini fairing.,

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:14 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and; it's not a custom frame (stock frame) and it already exists, but I'd love to try something like this:
https://www.450gp.com/images/KTM_SX250_GP%202011.jpg

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MV agusta brutale 800 rr frame
MV agusta brutale 800 rr engine
MV agusta brutale 800 rr wheels
MV agusta brutale 800 rr forks
MV agusta brutale 800 rr tank
YBR 125 mpg

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already in concept mode. It's what happens when the H2R has ugly sex with a Z1000

https://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/Stbarry/10317733_10204522859848683_344775114595581585_o_zpsrcmhydwe.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking a VF750 Sabre with the running gear from a VFR1200 shoehorned in and suitable suspension/brakes tweaks, then it occurred to me I'd just reinvented the original V-Max, which seems a bit pointless.

Thinking about it a bit more, I would like a supertourer, without the bulk and weight, so maybe something with the basic proportions of a Deauville, with a gruntier motor and a bit of weight shaved off, in other words, the bike Honda should've made, the VFR800 Crosstourer, with shaft drive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2