BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NHS still on XP? Say it ain't so.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is a joke, i work with the NHS and every email i sent to a welsh trust was immediately deleted and i got an auto generated reply stating it was due to the Cyber attacks. So work is just pilling up for when it gets fixed, Joy Mad

Present: Kawasaki Z500-B

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of luck, we'll be turning our mail servers back on in 5 minutes, once "Gold Command" give us a nod.

Yes, they've called themselves "Gold Command" Rolling Eyes
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Has anyone actually seen an infection of this yet? I suspect Al Beeb were egging this up a wee bit for political propaganda over NHS funding.

Still not seen one with my own eyes, but a bloke who used to work for us and joined a neighbouring Trust has seen two at GP offices, one in Northampton and one in Wellingborough.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:27 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
With a bit of luck, we'll be turning our mail servers back on in 5 minutes, once "Gold Command" give us a nod.

Yes, they've called themselves "Gold Command" Rolling Eyes

If they're in command, are they accepting responsibility for the consequences of their decisions?

Or is the usual case of credit to management, blame to IT?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:00 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jkB1V6N9w&feature=push-u&attr_tag=qAbEipbrRj75Y6hs-6

Interesting video with the actual facts about what this is.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Blake wrote:
The thing is the Y2K bug was over played and now people
Just are not believing what they are told.
Really? I was there, every programmer on the planet worked their bollocks off to avoid catastrophe. Difference between Y2K and WannaCry is that for some inexplicable reason with Y2K businesses actually did listen to IT and let us get on with the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak for yourself, I just took the credit for the previous generation of devs not being mongs.

Insh'Allah, I'll still be around to steal the glory in 2K38 as well. Whistle

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Speak for yourself, I just took the credit for the previous generation of devs not being mongs.

Insh'Allah, I'll still be around to steal the glory in 2K38 as well. Whistle

You don't reckon you'll be stealing the glory earlier than that? I reckon you'll be dealing with EMP issues long before we have to worry about negative binary clock issues.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had the only PC that was affected by the millennium bug, it thought it was the year 2094.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really remember if we had many computers affected, due to the fact I went straight from a NYE party in to work, complete with fancy dress, and was pretty leathered.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:47 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
I can't really remember if we had many computers affected, due to the fact I went straight from a NYE party in to work, complete with fancy dress, and was pretty leathered.

Were you one of the heroes who was lauded for your epic efforts right up until everyone woke up the next morning and realised that Y2K was a complete non-event? Wink

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we were given a cash incentive to work New Years day, although we were also unofficially told we HAD to come in

Not sure we were lauded as heroes, such as stopping the Russian missile silos launching their nukes, but we did ensure the continued supply of Sara Lee double chocolate gateaux

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Paddy Blake wrote:
The thing is the Y2K bug was over played and now people
Just are not believing what they are told.
Really? I was there, every programmer on the planet worked their bollocks off to avoid catastrophe. Difference between Y2K and WannaCry is that for some inexplicable reason with Y2K businesses actually did listen to IT and let us get on with the job.

Our system at the time had no issue with Y2K at all, but one twat of a manager described the default handling of a two digit year incorrectly to the business, and rather than admitting he was wrong, we had to change the code to match his statement. Wanka.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and finally, at 4pm today, we turned email back on. So essentially, we've turned email off, use the opportunity to scare the services into actually letting us have maintenance windows for what should be BAU, then turned the mail back on.

And earned a shedload of overtime.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
...and finally, at 4pm today, we turned email back on. So essentially, we've turned email off, use the opportunity to scare the services into actually letting us have maintenance windows for what should be BAU, then turned the mail back on.

Who needs an IT department when the old adage 'have you tried to turn it off and then on again' still works? Laughing

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Who needs an IT department when the old adage 'have you tried to turn it off and then on again' still works? Laughing

Someone has to tell them to switch it off and on again Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who doesn't want to be at risk of being fucked by ransomware, SyncToy is a straight forward way of keeping backups.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Set one folder (left) to say My Documents and set the other folder to a USB stick. Click run and it then synchronises the USB with any changes to the files in My Documents since you last clicked run.

Above everything else in protecting your computer from malware and ransomware specifically, if you have backups then you can never be held to ransom.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For anyone who doesn't want to be at risk of being fucked by ransomware, SyncToy is a straight forward way of keeping backups.

Handy tool, I use this on my office PC. The contents of my project/documents folders get synched twice a day as a scheduled task. Handy for when I have a tidy up then immediately think "arse, I needed that" Smile
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I just use crontab and rsync.

Oh, right.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
But if it keeps files in the original format and is left plugged in, it will also get encrypted. Most do local My Docs first, before chewing through external drives and network drives.

Oh dear, I wrongly assumed that I didn't need to specifically point out to people that they should unplug the USB stick after backing their stuff up. Sad

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Oh dear, I wrongly assumed that I didn't need to specifically point out to people that they should unplug the USB stick after backing their stuff up. Sad

On that subject, what are peoples thoughts of leaving an external mains powered HDD plugged in via USB, then setting the power on a timer which corresponds to the sync time.

Would this work? will windows detect it correctly if a command line app such as "RemoveDevice" is used to eject the drive before power off.

Will it slowly degrade the HDD, more so than through normal use?

My backup strategy is pretty good, the one thing I lack is proper offline backup but at present that's not an option for me. This would at least help to cover a backup that isn't always connected. (my server backs up to a NAS which is only mounted to Windows for the nightly sync task so it shouldn't get infected/encrypted)

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:45 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I worked in operations the old boys telling us about Y2k.

They each got paid a grand to be there. They sat watching the clock nervously no cheers at Midnight. At 00:01 there was a massive cheer and they all got shitface in the operations center.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:02 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not my problem. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4