PostPosted: 23:35 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a V40?
If so it looks a typical belt job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZOjR6Ke_NQ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
Perhaps you should let a mechanic handle this?

If I had a garage I might give it a go but it looks a bit too in-depth, the Haynes manual has it down as a 4 spanner job, I'm a 3 spanner mechanic tops.

WD Forte wrote:
Is it a V40?
If so it looks a typical belt job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZOjR6Ke_NQ

C30 1.6, I think this is the same engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepvLDT8vtA

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ben90 wrote:
Perhaps you should let a mechanic handle this?

If I had a garage I might give it a go but it looks a bit too in-depth, the Haynes manual has it down as a 4 spanner job, I'm a 3 spanner mechanic tops.

Poppycock, do it yourself. I changed the head gasket on a Vauxhall Vectra 3 times, right infront of my house, in a public car park. And since then I do all sorts of jobs my self.

The belt is feck easy to do. On the Vauxhall you just had to take the front right wheel off to get to the pulleys and then you release the tension on the belt tensioner (some cars use the alternator to put tension on the belt = read the manual).... and the belt is off. Then just put a new one on and reset the tensioner again (check if the belt is directional). If you do the AUX belt, then there is no timing to be done, you can't screw this up, and even if you do, there is no damage to happen really.

I was scared of doing such jobs as well, but one day I just said feck it and did it. Fixing something yourself will also make you feel good.

Read the manual, don't rush it, you'll do well.

*BTW: They do tell you the job is 4 spanners, 5 spanners... etc. = only experienced mechanic should do it, because the serpentine belt runs your power steering pump.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RhynoCZ"]
M.C wrote:

Poppycock, do it yourself. I changed the head gasket on a Vauxhall Vectra 3 times, right infront of my house, in a public car park. And since then I do all sorts of jobs my self.

The belt is feck easy to do. On the Vauxhall you just had to take the front right wheel off to get to the pulleys and then you release the tension on the belt tensioner (some cars use the alternator to put tension on the belt = read the manual).... and the belt is off. Then just put a new one on and reset the tensioner again (check if the belt is directional). If you do the AUX belt, then there is no timing to be done, you can't screw this up, and even if you do, there is no damage to happen really.

I was scared of doing such jobs as well, but one day I just said feck it and did it. Fixing something yourself will also make you feel good.

Read the manual, don't rush it, you'll do well.

*BTW: They do tell you the job is 4 spanners, 5 spanners... etc. = only experienced mechanic should do it, because the serpentine belt runs your power steering pump.

read the thread, he wants to do the timing belt, and in any case you're still wrong about the aux belt procedure for this engine, it has no tensioner, it's a stretchy (very loose use of the word) belt on this engine that requires tools to remove and replace.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that, Monkey? Thinking

I'm quite confused about what engine OP wants to fix, but here's the C30:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volvo-C30/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Engine_Belts_and_Tensioners/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Engine_Belts_and_Tensioners.htm

2.0 Duratec engine: https://youtu.be/AaSBaKQaYZs?t=1m1s (quite simliar to what I could see when working on the Vectra B)

EDIT: You do not need to replace the tensioner/s, but it is advisable (I mean the C30 manual).

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I changed the head gasket on a Vauxhall Vectra 3 times, right infront of my house, in a public car park.

The implication there, of course, is that you stuffed it up at least twice Neutral

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:51 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Are you sure about that, Monkey? Thinking

I'm quite confused about what engine OP wants to fix, but here's the C30:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volvo-C30/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Engine_Belts_and_Tensioners/63-ENGINE-Replacing_Engine_Belts_and_Tensioners.htm

2.0 Duratec engine: https://youtu.be/AaSBaKQaYZs?t=1m1s (quite simliar to what I could see when working on the Vectra B)

EDIT: You do not need to replace the tensioner/s, but it is advisable (I mean the C30 manual).

yes I am, that link is for a C30 T5 which is a 2.5 5 cylinder turbo, he has a 1.6 Duratec, not all engines are the same Wink

the timing procedures are different for the ford compared to the vauxhall as the cam and crank pulleys aren't keyed to the shafts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
I changed the head gasket on a Vauxhall Vectra 3 times, right infront of my house, in a public car park.

The implication there, of course, is that you stuffed it up at least twice Neutral

Seems like it, but it is not the case. The first time I did it, people heard about this, and then I did it on someone else's car (never heard any complaints). The third time was unfortunate, as after about 10,000km the timing belt tensioner of the first Vectra gave up and the valves met the pistons. Lucky enough, the only damage was bent valves, so I just bought a different head and replaced it, the car ran great every since.

The belt tensioner was alright the first time I did the job, I did everything by the book. That's why it is advisable to replace the tensioner/s when you change the belt/s, I guess. OR this was just a unlucky coincidence. Just like my father's 1.9TDi dropping the valve into the engine after 300,000km on the clock. They say things like this never happen, but they do time to time happen.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the 1.6 engine's the Ford Duratec unit, the 1.8/2.0L are Mazda engines, and the 2.4L/T5 Volvo. I did want the 1.8 originally but this one came up and was too nice to pass on. A mate keeps ripping me about it (he drives a Micra Confused) and I tell him it's a racing engine (I believe they used it in Formula Ford) Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the last post about this from my side.
Aux/serpentine belt fit - if it's the stretch one, just buy the tool kit of ebay (sell the tool kit right after you're done OR use the knowledge and the toolkit to do the same job on other people's cars). It's about £40, can go cheaper of course.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:22 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

The third time was unfortunate, as after about 10,000km the timing belt tensioner of the first Vectra gave up and the valves met the pistons.

The belt tensioner was alright the first time I did the job, I did everything by the book.

No you didn't do it "by the Book", Vauxhall/opel has always said that the tensioner and both guide rollers must be changed on the XE engine, they even halved the change interval due to failures. You had to replace a head because you did it wrong.

Experience of 4 years in a Vauxhall main dealer at the hight of that engines popularity. the majority of Timing belt failures were due to tensioner/guide failure.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can splice the old belt in two, lengthways and remove half of it, then push the new one on and cut away the old belt if you're too tight to buy the locking tools.

Personally I'd hand it over to an indy as access is right tight and you'd need to support the engine. Is not a quick job, and it's not something to gamble with.

You should also make your own markings in case you skip a tooth.
Obligatory Scotty link showing you how much hassle is likely to entail on a transverse engine.

Some of them bolts are likely to be tight as fook.
Even just getting the timing covers off is a pain in the arse.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuqOAp72m0

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it even possible to have an engine where the crank timing belt pulley is not keyed to the shaft? I only ask as I have never seen one myself before?

Also how much more of a pain in the arse is it to do a belt swap on an engine where the cam pulleys are not keyed to the cams? I have only seen one engine where this was adopted and it was a quad cam V6 with 3belts to drive the cams, as there were link belts on the inlet/exhaust cams.

It was said that with this set up you don't need to install vernier pulleys if fitting and timing in performance cams, simply as once you have got the valve timing where you want it, you can adjust the position of the pulley relative to the cam and tighten up the bolt.

Sounds a headache to me, and not something I'd like to try.

Oh and I would say that the biggest pain on any fwd drive car where theres a cam belt side engine mount that needs to come off to change the Cambelt is getting the mount itself off and then supporting the engine.

Longitudinal engines don't have this problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:16 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo, I'm not sure what you're getting at. The pulley being keyed shouldn't make a difference, it would be a rare job to have to remove the pulley to do a cam belt.

The pain in the arse bit on a lot of new engines is the variable valve timing, where the pulley can still wiggle a bit when the camshaft is locked. This means you need to lock the camshaft(s) and then lock the VVTI bit.

Luckily chains are back in fashion, and some engines have ultra long life belts - like the little 1L ecotec engine from Ford, where the belt appears to run inside the engine and have a 100k+ mile life. By the time its due a belt, the assumption is that is also needs a turbo (also pretty much part of the crankcase) and a general engine overhaul, so you pull out the engine and drop in a rebuilt one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Luckily chains are back in fashion, and some engines have ultra long life belts - like the little 1L ecotec engine from Ford, where the belt appears to run inside the engine and have a 100k+ mile life.

Volvo reckon 150k for my belt, even though Ford say 100k with the Focus, and Haynes suggest not leaving it beyond 60k. It's all the conflicting info' that makes me wonder if it really needs doing.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:59 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is it even possible to have an engine where the crank timing belt pulley is not keyed to the shaft? I only ask as I have never seen one myself before?

Also how much more of a pain in the arse is it to do a belt swap on an engine where the cam pulleys are not keyed to the cams?

Ford do it, so do renault, it's actually easier to get correct timing and tension, the crank and cam are physically locked, pulleys loosened and belt tension is set while they can rotate. then you tighten it all up.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Robby wrote:
Luckily chains are back in fashion, and some engines have ultra long life belts - like the little 1L ecotec engine from Ford, where the belt appears to run inside the engine and have a 100k+ mile life.

Volvo reckon 150k for my belt, even though Ford say 100k with the Focus, and Haynes suggest not leaving it beyond 60k. It's all the conflicting info' that makes me wonder if it really needs doing.

Is it the 1.6 Drive diesel, Mine was due at ~87k according the the volvo service manual?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Many manufacturers list high intervals when the vehicle is launched to attract lease companies. Once the premature failures start coming in, the advisory is often shortened. This also applies to long service intervals of 20,000 miles. Even with the recommended oil, it may take the car to end of lease with less services, but will cause more wear for whoever owns it after the first 100K.

Volvo seem to have done the opposite, in the service book it says 100k/8 years, then on the VIDA software (I have the 2014 ver.) they've extended it to 150k/10 years. Ford AFAIK have stuck to the original intervals with the Focus.

By applying that formula shouldn't it be 12 years Thinking

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
Is it the 1.6 Drive diesel, Mine was due at ~87k according the the volvo service manual?

Petrol, 100bhp but 0 torque, I mean nothing. I looked at tuning as this engine's 150bhp in Fomula Ford and in the racing puma, although looks like it'll be a waste of time.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not found anecdotal evidence of old (in terms of age) belts failing, only those beyond mileage limits. I appreciate lower mileage cars are rarer, but it seems to be mainly people saying I replace at x time for peace of mind.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what nick they were in Smile If they had cracks etc. then no. I read start/stop traffic puts more pressure on the belt(s), so that's another factor as I believe the car has lived in the city all its life.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:07 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we have now reached the point that this damn timing belt has still not been changed and no decision has been made to change the damn thing.

By now; in the same situation, I would have already have booked 'our'*(*VW Financial Services') car in, dropped it off, had use of a courtesy car and collected the newly serviced car back from the dealer. At no additional cost to myself - let alone anywhere in this process mithering about should I or shouldn't I change a belt. Laughing

As you have said, you have plenty of assets and savings so perhaps break into the M.C. Millions and get the job sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes With the age of the vehicles you lease do they ever reach an expensive service, beyond an oil change? Do you remember how much I was up over your leasing costs? I remember it being thousands so a few hundred for a timing belt change won't break the bank, I'm just sifting through the conflicting info' trying to make an informed decision...

...which I have already. If I keep the car long term (probably won't) I'll change it, if I sell it I won't. Obviously you're still not over this so I look forward to your next 20 butthurt posts on the subject.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3