Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Archery - whats the craic?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Archery - whats the craic? Reply with quote

Did a bit of field archery in Center Parcs the other week an really enjoyed it

Shot some (foam) animals in the face

I was using a 27lb bow if means anything? not the sort with pulleys or anything just a normal looking bow?

Anyone else on here fire arras?

quite fancy getting a bow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're supposed to practice every Sunday, by law.

I tried it once, forearm was red raw :'(

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up your local club, go and speak with them, they'll be very pleased in your interest.

It's pretty cheap as hobbies go, and when you get your ass handed to you by a 75yo grannie you know it's skill not strength that's impressive.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful skill when the zombie apocalypse comes Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to do archery as a kid. My dad was into it and I used to go with him. The kit is like golf gear in that it's very
very expensive to get set up with decent gear. I was a member of the Oakfield Archers but sold all my gear many many moons ago.
Good community spirit among archers. It was great fun for me as a young un.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:18 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archery clubs vary. So check them out.

I've seen clubs who in their entirety had a bug up their arse and hassled you constantly about buying fancy gear. I left my last archery club over an argument which consisted of them insisting I bought and wore an arm bracer and finger tab (something I hadn't done for my previous 4 or 5 years of shooting) or I wouldn't be allowed on the range and me telling them to go fuck themselves.

Field clubs will be less that way.

You absolutely do not need fancy gear. Like golf, it makes much less of a difference than the people who own the fancy, expensive gear think. What counts is practice. Lots of it. Especially in field archery. You need a bow which is sufficiently long for your draw length and some approriate length arrows. A fibreglass bow will do fine to start. The stronger the draw weight you can handle, the better in field archery. You really don't need anything else to go with it. In fact, from what I remember of formal field archery, other than a finger tab and bracer, you might be allowed to add an arrow rest but that's about it.

I got hugely disenchanted with target archery, mainly because of the kit snobbery and moved from the world of bobbers, bracers, kissers, carbon fibre and bowsights to a really meaty wood laminate flatbow (65lb) used bare with cheap heavy arrows.

No field clubs nearby me though. I used to go out for walks with a mate doing the oldest form of field archery. Take it in turns to nominate a target. Closest arrow gets the point. Cheap arrows because they were constantly getting lost/broken/stuck (a 65lb bow at 30 yards is a real nail-knocker if you are shooting at a tree stump).

Haven't picked up a bow in years now though. I doubt I could fire more than 6 arrows from my flatbow without doing an injury. I'd need to build up to it again.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:10 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Archery - whats the craic? Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
fire

[eye twitches]

Unless you're actually lighting them then you're shooting or loosing. If you do field archery you'll both loose and lose them.

It's great, I take the Borglets out with rubber blunts to do clout shooting. Lobbing at a target (often myself), in an actual arch.

Even the cheap single piece fibreglass bows I bought them shoot just fine. I've made shootable bows out of bits of B&Q generic hardwood (don't use cheap pine though, it's too resiny, force-grown and kiln dried).

You don't need anything except a bow and arrows. Recurve, composite, it's all good. Don't go too heavy: 30 to 35 pounds is fine for pleasure shooting.

As per stinkwheel, I've never used a bracer or a tab, although I do wear a glove on my left hand when I'm shooting bare wooden bows, having seen someone insert a feather through the flesh behind their thumb. Hurt

You can give your local target club a try, although I found myself bored to tears with the pace they shot at.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:58 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Archery - whats the craic? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It's great, I take the Borglets out with rubber blunts to do clout shooting. Lobbing at a target (often myself), in an actual arch.

I have a fantasy where I sneak my "war" bow into a LARP meeting and direct fire heavy blunts at "armoured knights" at short to mid range.

The internal sense of glee I get from the chaos and butthurt that would ensue only makes me more keen to actually follow it through (because nobody likes a dead-loose).

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Archery - whats the craic? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:
fire

[eye twitches]

The most fun thing about archery is saying "fire" every time* Wink

*Actually, not really the most fun thing, cos archery is good*, but it's close Smile

*I used to hold the GNAS instructor's qualification, but these days it's all air rifles/pistols for me (NSRA Club Instructor)... it does mean I know how to wind them stick firin' types up though Twisted Evil

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it a couple of times at local park events over the years and love it but never get time to look into doing it properly Sad

Where would be the best place to find a club or list of clubs?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:38 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fired arrows and had arrows fired at me in an hilarious H&S fail.

You want a cone on the front so they don't just blow straight out, then pack behind that with a mess of steel wool soaked with a mix of petrol and derv, but it's still a sod to keep them lit in flight.

How they did it in the Olden Days is a mystery, but hundreds of film and TV productions couldn't have lied to us, surely? Whistle

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all found a "club" near to me last night so will speak to them.

Im guessing i cant just rock up to a deserted bit of land an fire/ unleash/ release / bombard some sort of target - or are they classed as firearms so risk literally getting shot at by pew pews?

ta Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Im guessing i cant just rock up to a deserted bit of land an fire/ unleash/ release / bombard some sort of target

I shoot in public fairly frequently on whatever bit of rough ground is available, which tends to be shared with cyclopaths and doggers.

Using rubber blunts, but that's not necessarily obvious to observers. Having the Borglets shoot at me and catching the arrows is a giggle.

I've yet to have Police firearms Police turn up and slot me. Your experiences may vary though, no express or implied warranty is given.

I don't have specific liability insurance for it, because #BowLife. You may want to join GNAS / Archery GB or whatever they're calling themselves these days to get their insurance cover.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a target archer.

If you want to get into target archery find a local club on the ArcheryGB site (ArcheryGB are the trading name of GNAS).

You will need to book yourself onto a 6 week beginners course, at that point you will get an ArcheryGB membership card. Not only will this let you shoot with any target club whenever you please, but also free access to many indoor ranges at retail stores. I regularly use the one at Archery World in Preston.

Your draw length will change quickly, so will your ability to draw more weight as technique improves, so I wouldn't suggest buying anything until you have shot with the club equipment for a couple of months.

Since you're in Liverpool, once you want to buy, get up to Archery World who will kit you out with everything you need to get started, and will measure you for arrow length, and make sure the spine is correctly matched to the bow.

If you want to do field, clout, or flight archery, then I have no clue what you need to do Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Indeed:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-af300a87a51120882749199c157b4f6e-c

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's a good time to start learning, I mean you wont get that much time when the shit hits the fan and we all start eating each other...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:12 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Indeed:
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-af300a87a51120882749199c157b4f6e-c

The year was Nineteen-Dickety-Two (or so), the place was Rochester Castle. Picture a custom-built wooden palisade complete with a draw-gate and gatehouse above it.

Your correspondent, a mere unarmoured "squishy" at the time, volunteered to work as gate-crew, hauling the gate up and down as part of a reenactment of a medieval siege. He was advised to take his shield up with him, for reasons that later became apparent.

Commence the siege. Archers began (literally) firing flame arrows at the structure. Up in the gatehouse, it was a spectacular sight, as they whooshed in and bounced off or stuck into the green wood of the palisade.

Until one came right through a gap in the planking and embedded itself in the rear wall of the crewed gatehouse, still flaming away merrily.

You can bet that shields were promptly retrieved and presented at that point, and said structure was evacuated at the earliest opportunity.

You'd never get that past the most cursory H&S risk assessment these days, sadly.

And that was when I decided that:

1) Armour is good. If the choice is mobility/agility versus armour, take the armour. The fickle finger of fate doesn't care how ninja you think you are, a surprise shafting from behind is going to ruin your day.

2) Delivering the shaft is a much better idea than receiving it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And that was when I decided that:

1) Armour is good. If the choice is mobility/agility versus armour, take the armour. The fickle finger of fate doesn't care how ninja you think you are, a surprise shafting from behind is going to ruin your day.

2) Delivering the shaft is a much better idea than receiving it.

I wonder why soldiers choose not to wear their err.. bollock armour for mobility reasons. I'd be wearing it 24/7, for reason #2 Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zewtuUM_0

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:14 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this account of a running archery battle in Kenya in 2008 fascinating. Bows and arrows are nothing fancy.

Loose, running, open formations resemble contemporary reports from Agincourt.

Spare arrows held ready in hand, even for those equipped with quivers.

https://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1722198_1548100,00.html

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resisted the urge to post here because I'd probably get a spam rating for it.... but when I was living in Chepstow an old friend invited me to go to archery with him one day. Having never even laid eyes on a bow before then I thought why not.

Having no equipment I turned up and it cost me £30 to hire everything I needed for the day. This included a 24lb bow, some arrows and some safety gear. I was shown the correct stance and how to use lower power bows to hit targets beyond the normal range, then I was allowed to shoot some targets for a while.... then I was taken round the forest where around 40 foam animals had been set up in a natural environment, after that we went on to a roving field for a couple of hours (which for people that don't know, lots of different types of target are set up, someone picks a target and whoever is closest picks the next target.... at this place anyway).
All in all I spent about 6 hours there and was hooked..... the place was called Wye Valley Archery (hence expecting spam ratings).
There was an archery supply shop about a mile away from the range and I went in one day and said I wanted to buy a beginners bow, they had a small space set up with a target in the back of the shop where they would let you try different strength bows until they found something you were comfortable with* then told you everything else you would need, all in all I spent about £150 that day and that got me a 36lb* bow, 8 aluminium arrows, a bow stringer, 4 wooden arrows, arm protector, finger tab, bag, string wax etc etc.

Since I've moved back to Glasgow, the only time I've used the bow is messing around in the house with a homemade target at around 10 yards, and haven't really taken a chance using it out doors. I got a friend in to it soon after I got hooked and he looked in to places in Glasgow and it was all only target shooting he found.

* the friend that introduced me was using a 40lb bow, but there were people that would go there with 20-150lb bows, the instructor used a 90lb bow. I was given the opportunity to draw the 90lb bow and managed about 1/4 draw and ran out of strength. When I was at the shop testing out some bow strengths they said that even though I thought the 36lb was a little easy I had to think if I was using it for a couple of hours.... which I'm glad they warned me about..... I'd heard about something called disco arm from the friend that introduced me and thought that was a load of rubbish..... but even my puny little 36lb bow couldn't hit a 10 foot target 5 foot in front of me after 5-6 hours (OK that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Since I've moved back to Glasgow, the only time I've used the bow is messing around in the house with a homemade target at around 10 yards, and haven't really taken a chance using it out doors. I got a friend in to it soon after I got hooked and he looked in to places in Glasgow and it was all only target shooting he found.

I've not found anyone who does roving up here, which is doubly annoying given our land access laws. That's why I just decided, sod it, and started going out with my reenactment rubber blunts and steely resolve to laugh off any Tut Tut from Scotchplod. The Crown Office has little budget for contested prosecutions, and I doubt Eilish (all Fiscal prosecutors are called Eilish) will have the stomach for it. Could be wrong though.

I totally agree on bow weight. I usually shoot a 35lb Mongolian stylee curvybow, and that's as heavy as you need in a public space. Even with that you can break arrows or punch them through the blunt if you connect with anything solid.

https://i.imgur.com/feY4fkv.png

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bow tie for the kilt. Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I have bow tie for the kilt. Embarassed

Do you string it yourself for is it one of those fancy compound bow ties for people who can't work a proper one?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a ...

... I'm so sorry ...

... a cross bow tie.

https://i.imgur.com/hMe1jCT.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3