Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pegaso valve adjustment rant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Pegaso valve adjustment rant Reply with quote

Every bike has its quirks right? Mk1 1995 Aprilia Pegaso 650, she's been sat at the back of my workshop looking forlorn for about 6 months now so started the process of getting her running again.

Valves need doing so that's usually easy enough right? Cam cover whipped off and TDC ahoy. No. You see, some cretin in Italy decided to put two of the cam cover bolts right under the engine mounting bracket meaning you can't get them out without removing the bracket. So remove the bracket? Oh yeah sorry you need to pull the carbs and boots to get that out. Oh and yeah fuck you very much because to get the carbs out you have to remove the exhaust and unbolt the subframe.

For. Fucks. Sake.

No purpose to thread, just #coolstorybro and much /rant.

Fuck you Italy.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self, never buy a Pegaso.

Because a. you won't want to do the above. and b. nobody else probably has, so it will need doing.

Feel your pain dude Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:12 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same engine as the Yamaha? Does the Yamaha have the same problem I wonder? Or did the Italians just screw things up for lulz?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the ubiquitous Rotax engine used in the BMW F650 and I believe the Yamahoo too yes.

The Italians decided to be different, naturally.

The drama was further exacerbated by a seized cam cover bolt directly under the frame which offers no space to get a socket into. Was forced to dremel a notch into it and bray it round with a flat blade screw driver and hammer.

Got it off in the end. I should really take some pictures for the record, god knows it would've helped if I'd found some in advance.

I also discovered why the tank range was so poor; the tank is effectively in two halves connected by a fuel line underneath. The fuel line had been replaced as early as 2012 (according to the markings)but was badly frayed at either end and someone had put it back on with a bit of the splayed rubber sticking inwards into the hose. That meant the right hand side of the tank was either not feeding at all or very poorly at best. Shitty petcock fuel level sensor (constantly indicated 'low') was repaired while I was in there too. Common fault, somewhat Heath Robinson design that involves a reed switch triggered by a plastic float magnet that gets damaged over time. 60 quid from Italy for a new one so fuck that; gambled on a breaker's eBay bargain and it works a treat again.

For the record these shenanigans are not apparent in the later fuel injected Pegaso models. And she was a bargain bin gamble that is ultimately worth more in bits than what I payed so..meh.

Last edited by ADSrox0r on 11:42 - 19 May 2017; edited 2 times in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:58 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get it into bits, presumably. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:13 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If you can get it into bits, presumably. Laughing

<angle-grinder-animated.gif>

I look forward to hearing that the valves are all in spec. Whistle

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I look forward to hearing that the valves are all in spec. Whistle

One exhaust valve too tight. Would go a ways to explaining hard starting.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
It's the ubiquitous Rotax engine used in the BMW F650 and I believe the Yamahoo too yes.

As far as I know, nothing to do with Yamaha. The Aprilia and BMW engines are different. Think the Aprilia engine came first (basic design might have been done for Aprilia). The original F650 was built by Aprilia for BMW.

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1