Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike that stops when you sit on it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:10 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Bike that stops when you sit on it? Reply with quote

I have a Suzuki burgman an250. Recently it starts ok and ticks over and revs. However if I sit on the seat it cuts out. So I took off the seat and sat on the frame. Same thing...it stopped. It restarts when I get off the seat. Very mysterious..any ideas. Crying or Very sad

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR, tilt sensor when up righting the bike or smothering the air intake.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike that stops when you sit on it? Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:
I have a Suzuki burgman an250. Recently it starts ok and ticks over and revs. However if I sit on the seat it cuts out. So I took off the seat and sat on the frame. Same thing...it stopped. It restarts when I get off the seat. Very mysterious..any ideas. Crying or Very sad

There is a wiring short somewhere. Possibly a wire going to the coils if all that happens is the engine cuts out.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, wiring. Check for wiring that's being strained or rubbed when the suspension compresses.

<Tefanecdote> I inflicted this on myself when I fitted an oversized aftermarket CDI under the seat. Every time I hit a bump I strained the cables and the bike cut out. </Tefanecdote>

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that owners of the 250 Burgman had to have the mini RFID chip inserted in or around the anus, then paired to the bike as a security feature . . . . . Embarassed

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:04 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took off air filter, changed fuel filter. Checked fule pump, checked coil, checked side stand cut off switch.....no difference. Or runs on full throttle when i sit on it but anything less and it stops. Running out of ideas. Sorty ran out of ideas. CAnt think what it could be.Slent 3 days on it so far...

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike that stops when you sit on it? Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:

""""Or runs on full throttle when i sit on it but anything less and it stops."""""
I`m confused now!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:00 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Taking all your symptoms at face value, I can think of two unlikely causes, which I throw out there just for quirkiness.

1) Compressing the suspension is causing something in the transmission (belt + shaft?) to engage the centrifugal clutch and stall it out at idle.

2) Even wilder, it's vaguely conceivable that you've got a crankcase breather that's being pinched when you sit on the seat, and it's over-pressuring the crankcase and stopping the piston at idle. I mention this because the AN400 had issues with sucking oil from the crankcase into the airbox and one bodge was to plug the airbox and re-route the breather... somewhere else.

That said, I'd still assume that your fuelling problem is electrical until it's been absolutely ruled out. Particularly so if it cuts out immediately when you sit on it, rather than struggling and then dying.

Which is a closer description of what's happening?

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on idle the engine cuts out when I sit on the seat. If I get off the seat quickly it picks up again . I lifted the seat and took off the plastic cover. I found that if I press in the frame heavily then the engine cuts out. If I start the engine and rev it alot whilst holding the brake(it's an automatic) then it doesn't cut out until I ease off the revs. I've checked for any blocked or pinched file pipes but none are apparent.

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:58 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore the engine cuts out immediately not as if it were a fuel shortage where it might do a few seconds later.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:02 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:
Furthermore the engine cuts out immediately not as if it were a fuel shortage where it might do a few seconds later.

Electrical then. Something is being moved when you put weight on the frame, you just have to find it. Coil, CDI, HT lead, plug cap, main earth strap?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked in as the title begged for "stop sitting on it then"

As the engine is part of the suspension It could any cable
or connector between engine and frame getting a bad contact as it flexes.
I'd start with the ground cable/s first

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't like you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it kill the ignition totally? No lights on dash etc as it is pooping out?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sirjohnsavile wrote:

Electrical then. Something is being moved when you put weight on the frame, you just have to find it. Coil, CDI, HT lead, plug cap, main earth strap?

Agreed.

Do you have any way of lifting the bike to work on it? I think you need to get under it with a powerful flashlight and check every cable.

My bet is one of them is either:
- Badly frayed and the movement of the frame is pulling what little copper is contacting away from the connector
- Or worse, there will be no signs of damage but an old cable will be snapped inside the sheath. The only way to find this is to check every cable with a multimeter without pressure on the frame and then again with pressure on.

Good luck!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
the BCF crowd are sensitive souls who wouldn't dream of causing offence, so I'll ask.
How heavy are you?
Is there a chance your enormously fat arse cheeks are restricting the air flow to the engine?
I don't judge, we don't do that here, just asking

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 12stone 13 but the air filter is off and it runs perfectltbwell til the engine flexes then immediately cuts out .it has to be electrical surely. Just cleaned starter motor earth. Cdi unit cables inspected and it still ticks over nicely. Gonna try and put a news ignition unit on when it arrives as I said earlier cos can't think of anything else.

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 12stone 13 but the air filter is off and it runs perfectltbwell til the engine flexes then immediately cuts out .it has to be electrical surely. Just cleaned starter motor earth. Cdi unit cables inspected and it still ticks over nicely. Gonna try and put a news ignition unit on when it arrives as I said earlier cos can't think of anything else.Coulnt be faulty stator could it cos battery is always charged

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:
Gonna try and put a news ignition unit on when it arrives as I said earlier cos can't think of anything else.

Randomly changing parts is a hella expensive way of diagnosing an electrical problem. A multimeter is cheaper than pretty much any part. Unplugging and replugging connections is free.

Sirjohnsavile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:21 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted it thank goodness. It was loose spade fittings on the coil. Thanks to all those who gave suggestions Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:
Sorted it thank goodness. It was loose spade fittings on the coil. Thanks to all those who gave suggestions Very Happy

Lulz. Seruis?

Quote:
Took off air filter, changed fuel filter. Checked fule pump, checked coil,

As in checked it was present? Within the same postcode? Made for the machine? Wasn't off a Goldwing? Jebus, I remember why I don't come in here these days.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:09 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding it. Loose connections are a right sod - give me a broken wire every time.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirjohnsavile wrote:

Awesome.

Not the 7 weeks I imagined... Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1