Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please recommend me a new helmet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:18 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Please recommend me a new helmet Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new full face helmet. The one I use at the moment is a Box helmet. Apart from the ratchet fastener and the internal sun visor, its crap. At about 70mph the wind shoots straight up in front of your face and into your eyes, my open face and wrap around shades do a better job of keeping my eyes from watering.

So I need a new one, the price isn't really important and the wish list is as follows

Ratchet Fastener
Internal sun visor
Gloss Black (or plain colour) finish (Not matt)
Not getting my eyes blasted with air too much.

None of the above are real deal breakers except the matt finish and the air blast, so really, half of them are deal breakers, sorry.

Ive always fancied a Roof helmet, ive never tried one on let alone ridden with one, but no one around here (Stoke on Trent) stocks them, unless any of you know different, so any reviews on them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise depends on a number of things.
The first one you need to take notice of is that it fits your head properly and that can only determined by trying it on.
No one can really recommend a helmet because the one they have may fit their egg shaped head but wouldn't be suitable for your round shaped head.
While you're in the shop trying them on, make sure it fits all round the base and has a good 'skirt' piece under the chin.

If a Caberg Duke (Flip front) fits you well, then personally I can't recommend one.
Mine fits great, doesn't let wind come from the chin area and effect my eyes, But it is (IMO) very noisy...

You can buy these which are supposed to help: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Neoprene-Motorcycle-Full-Face-Crash-Helmet-Skirt-Stops-Wind-Draft-Noise-/141447034461?hash=item20eee6765d:g:ZxUAAOSwEppUSNQd
I'd guess they do but have no experience of them...

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one of those neoprene skirts. It worked keeping the wind noise down but after a few checks moving my head it kept coming off, it wasn't very grippy. Would be OK if you gaffa taped it Laughing It's at the back of my cupboard somewhere and haven't seen it for a long long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

They help a bit, but it's like shoving your head into a rubbery clunge. Mine essentially dissolved after a year or so, leaving gluey spooge all over my helmet and face.

Other skirts / curtains are available. Sadly, the "Motrax Stopwind Deluxe" is not, which is a pity as it actually worked. I'm surprised the Chinee haven't just cloned it. Sad

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked flip-front helmets. Always seemed heavy, clunky and creaky and I was never convinced that chin-bar would take a force if it needed to.

I've tended to have Arais. I loved my Chaser - best helmet I've had. I got a Shoei XR1100 this time because it seemed to fit best but I do sort of miss the Arai. The Shoei seems quieter though - it's not such a big deal if I forget my earplugs - those Arai side pods seemed to generate a lot of noise.

There's no substitute for trying some on in a shop. It's no use someone telling me to get an HJC for example, because they just don't fit me. Try a few and find out what's comfortable. If you then want first-hand advice, draw up a shortlist of which ones you found comfy, come back here with it and hopefully some of us can advise towards or away from what's on your list.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Please recommend me a new helmet Reply with quote

Billy Balthorpe wrote:
I'm in the market for a new full face helmet. The one I use at the moment is a Box helmet. Apart from the ratchet fastener and the internal sun visor, its crap. At about 70mph the wind shoots straight up in front of your face and into your eyes, my open face and wrap around shades do a better job of keeping my eyes from watering.

So I need a new one, the price isn't really important and the wish list is as follows

Ratchet Fastener
Internal sun visor
Gloss Black (or plain colour) finish (Not matt)
Not getting my eyes blasted with air too much.

None of the above are real deal breakers except the matt finish and the air blast, so really, half of them are deal breakers, sorry.

Ive always fancied a Roof helmet, ive never tried one on let alone ridden with one, but no one around here (Stoke on Trent) stocks them, unless any of you know different, so any reviews on them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Flip fronts are noisier. No getting away from that. But I use one for Summer riding as its nice to be able to open the flip whilst filtering.

For winter riding and long distance I use this one:

https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/shark-speed-r-series-2-texas-wkr-on-sale-s-xl-only/?gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9Yz69HMLIMA-EG9b1NgXF_KLCswh9rBTCd9MzgCdY6HhoCkn_w_wcB

Noise levels are very low and fits really nicely. The visor also wraps around behind my eyes further than other helmets Ive had so gives a really confident feeling of knowing whats going on around you.
Thumbs Up

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Please recommend me a new helmet Reply with quote

Billy Balthorpe wrote:

Ratchet Fastener

Each to their own but I prefer a pair of double-Ds

(seriously though - fastening them becomes second nature very quickly and they seem to be about as failure-proof as fasteners get)

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratchet straps and internal sun visors are the devils smegma.

If you can find somewhere to go and try one, I can highly recommend the Shark Race Pro R.

Looks like, and feels like a quality product through and through. Without doubt the best lid I've ever owned. Just purchased a second in fact. 5* sharp rating, if you care about such things. Some good deals to be had on them too

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1111

Would recommend trying on first though, as the sizing is a bit unique.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

If you can find somewhere to go and try one, I can highly recommend the Shark Race Pro R.

I use a pair of Shark Speed-R slightly cheaper than Race Pro but a very good lid with an excellent choice of colours.
+1 on the ratchets being evil, once you get used to D-rings they don't actually take that long to do up and you have the advantage of easily adjusting it for balaclavas.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Looks like, and feels like a quality product through and through. Without doubt the best lid I've ever owned. Just purchased a second in fact. 5* sharp rating, if you care about such things. Some good deals to be had on them too

Another +1 for D rings. I can do them with one hand walking to wards the bike now.

Although I disagree on the internal sun visor. I love mine. Come over a hill and all the cars get hit with the sun and slam their breaks on.... I just carry on between them un-phased.
Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1