Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorway Filtering.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Motorway Filtering. Reply with quote

So, when the "avoid the motorway at all costs" becomes un-avoidable, I have a quick question for you?

When filtering on the motorway, in standstill or very slow moving traffic, do you prefer to filter between the inside lane / middle lane, or between overtaking lane / outside lane.

Tyia.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_F
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:34 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on lots of circumstances.

Are any lanes closed up ahead?
What kind of traffic is queued?
Where is the most room?
Are any drivers acting up?
Are there other bikes to follow?
Are we near a merging point?
Am I exiting soon?

Lots of variables that can make either the better choice.

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much only filter between middle and outside lane. Reason being that the huge lorries rarely go on the outside lane so the chances of getting sandwiched are much lower.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
Pretty much only filter between middle and outside lane. Reason being that the huge lorries rarely go on the outside lane so the chances of getting sandwiched are much lower.

Large lorries and vehicles towing trailers are not legally allowed to use the third lane on a motorway.
Mark F has pretty much covered it though - it depends on circumstances.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:50 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go through any gap possible. Don't care where it is. If I fits I fits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:24 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really, but as a rule of thumb I'll filter between the middle and outside lane, moving to between the first and middle lane a few hundred yards from my exit.

I commute on the M5 between junction 3 and 2 so there's rarely a day without standstill traffic.

CliveFa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:52 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
As above really, but as a rule of thumb I'll filter between the middle and outside lane, moving to between the first and middle lane a few hundred yards from my exit.

I commute on the M5 between junction 3 and 2 so there's rarely a day without standstill traffic.

I agree. Try to read the "body language" of the other vehicles. Be vigilant when there is a gap in one lane and not in the next as that vehicle may dart over without looking.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handy primer about motorway lane names:

https://i.imgur.com/OcdZnaZ.jpg

Less of this inside slow fast middle overtaking crawler jibba jibba, please.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorway Filtering. Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:
So, when the "avoid the motorway at all costs" becomes un-avoidable, I have a quick question for you?

When filtering on the motorway, in standstill or very slow moving traffic, do you prefer to filter between the inside lane / middle lane, or between overtaking lane / outside lane.

Tyia.

Thumbs Up

As said earlier - it all depends on the circumstances.

Normally yes - its only between 2/3 (3/4)
If it grinds to a halt completely due to a road closure then Ill use which ever lane has a gap.

When Im closing in on my exit and the motorway is still moving at sub-50mph - Ill probably swap to between lanes 1/2 for the last half mile.

If its looking really ropey or I get a spidey sense, I have no issues going down the hard shoulder for 100 yards and jumping back on.

And I dont know what everyone elses feelings are on Lorry drivers, but I find that they pay more attention than cars. So Im not bothered about going between them as 9 times out of 10 they slide over anyway. Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pretty picture

Less of this inside slow fast middle overtaking crawler jibba jibba, please.

Agree on the slow fast middle. Thumbs Up

But .......

lanes 2 and 3 ARE overtaking lanes. Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
some bossy stuff about motorway lane names

I like to go in the thingy lane, but then swap over to the wossname when there's a gap - also, I never use the slow-sidey bit and I get nervous if I get too close to the bit where the other traffic is going the other way. Sometimes I squeeze between lorries/taxis ambulances so that when a noob with L plates is taking up too much room in a slow moving lane, I can slag 'em off for taking space by shouting "I can get between a lorry and a taxi but you're half their size, make some space, you wanker!"

TL;DR - I just go wherever the fuck I want.

Last edited by hellkat on 09:28 - 17 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane 2.5 (or 3.5 on a four lane) is my default, as it is where most people ride, the car drivers are more likely to expect you and in areas where there are lots of bikes there is usually a wider gap there as earlier bikes have encouraged drivers to move to the lane extremities of 2 and 3 giving a space you could get a truck down.

One of the irritations on smaller roads is when someone rides up 1.5 (potentially to skip a line of bikes in 2.5) , causing cars to narrow the gap on 2.5 - sometimes with a jerking reaction as they get surprised.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 2 and 3 is generally where cars will expect you to be. So I'll typically use that, unless some arsehole is intentionally blocking and I'll find another way around them.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Lane 2.5 (or 3.5 on a four lane) is my default, as it is where most people ride, the car drivers are more likely to expect you and in areas where there are lots of bikes there is usually a wider gap there as earlier bikes have encouraged drivers to move to the lane extremities of 2 and 3 giving a space you could get a truck down

Exactly this ^^ Thumbs Up

Definitely the case on the M1 from here into London, and back out again.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filter between lane 2/3, as said drivers are more likely to expect you there.

Now I'm using motorways again I've noticed a lot of drivers in the outside lane move over to the right, and using their right indicator to let you know they're letting you pass.

Sometimes it's useful, but other times when you're happily plodding along at 80 behind them with the correct gap in front, they do it and you feel obliged to go past.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/3 normally just because that's where I tend to be riding most of the time. Then again, I take the Paddy approach to motorway filtering. If there's a gap and I can make it, I'll use it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
I filter between lane 2/3, as said drivers are more likely to expect you there.

Now I'm using motorways again I've noticed a lot of drivers in the outside lane move over to the right, and using their right indicator to let you know they're letting you pass.

Sometimes it's useful, but other times when you're happily plodding along at 80 behind them with the correct gap in front, they do it and you feel obliged to go past.

Just ignore them. Thumbs Up

Although I dont know which motorway you are using, Its only happened to me once. The rest of the tw@s either refuse to move over at all or sneak left towards the line (whether by design or by accident by looking in the mirror.)

It would be nice to have a nice gap on offer.

Although why they think you would want to go through at 80 is beyond me.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally between 2&3, but have quite often done between 1 & 2

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Experience. We've all been in the fast lane doing 69.9 overtaking someone when a bike has coming screaming through the middle. You remember the dickheads, not the rest. People see bikes and assume they always want to be going faster than the rest of the traffic.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Experience. We've all been in the fast lane doing 69.9 overtaking someone when a bike has coming screaming through the middle. You remember the dickheads, not the rest. People see bikes and assume they always want to be going faster than the rest of the traffic.

Fair point. I remember I did have a a couple of CBRs (racing maybe?) "filtering" while the lane was clogged up - but still moving at over 70.

Only once though. Majority of bikers I see on the Motorway seem to be going slower than me. Shocked

The way I see it, if the lane is moving at 70 or more, there's no point filtering. I can only imagine they are having a rush of blood or moving away from some car dickhead thats tailgating them.

I have done that before (skipped 2 cars in a lane just to move away from them).

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is safer to be lane splitting at 100 than to sit in traffic at 70 or 80. Most of my passes are in the empty slow lane as no one else will use it. Most people in the middle lane were born there and wont move over, unless you are hesitant and they notice. This makes it less risk to pass between than the fast lane as most will want to be back in the middle where they belong.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:12 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:

Then the correct etiquette is...

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/272236/images/07ducati-848-evo.jpg

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Bigvern72 wrote:

Large lorries and vehicles towing trailers are not legally allowed to use the third lane on a motorway.
Mark F has pretty much covered it though - it depends on circumstances.

They can use it in 'certain circumstances ' most of which will involve 'crawling' traffic which is when filtering is most useful.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Tell that to the mong in an artic that pushed my Cavalier into the central reservation on the M1.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Mark_F
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:36 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

That does depend on the circumstances.

There are sliproads that feed into the 3rd lane (rare, but something to be wary of if you're riding somewhere you don't know well), and in incidents that can cause traffic, the third lane may be the only lane available to all traffic (but this should be blatantly obvious).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2