BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorway Filtering.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on circumstances I've even ridden on the central reservation for the M5 when a truck broke down over 2 lanes on the 14 mile roadworks. Best was filtering past about 30 police bikes and 10 police cars going to Weston Bike Night; that was done at 60mph and not a care was given.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:05 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the fastest people filter at?

I don't think I've ever done it faster than 40, but I've been overtaken at 70, what's a reasonable compromise?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the traffic flow, how "twitchy" drivers are (some days it seems everyone drives in solid lines, some days they are all over the place), weather, how I feel, how the lines of traffic look ahead (lots of brake lights, or big gaps and opening up). Someone who looks a lot like me has been known to blip past the odd car at higher speeds, especially to get into a wide open space rather than sit in the middle of a group as the road frees up.

But as a very rough rule of thumb I'll start motorway filtering when the normal traffic speed drops to 30-ish, and drop back into line when it rises above 50. I probably do about 10-15 miles of motorway/major A road (motorway in all but name) filtering each way every day, more if the traffic is bad.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

I don't think I've ever done it faster than 40, but I've been overtaken at 70, what's a reasonable compromise?

Faster than the speed limit, put it that way.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
Large lorries and vehicles towing trailers are not legally allowed to use the third lane on a motorway.

Tell that to the mong in an artic that pushed my Cavalier into the central reservation on the M1.

The return of KTM man?

Its a rare occurrence for me to be on a motorway but when I am, any hole's a goal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

It does depend...

But my general rule is if the traffic falls below 55 then I consider filtering at no faster that 75. As soon as I see that I am having to filter at 80 I drop back in.

The ONLY time I "filter" faster than that is if I have a b3llend behind me and I just put a couple of cars between us.

Reminds me of a story.

Steady traffic flowing at around 65 nothing bad, just congestion. everyone is happy filling all 3 lanes moving steadily. Except Mr Sanjay in his BMW behind me.

Tailgating
Moving into Lane 2 to undertake when there isnt enough room to - then dropping back in to tailgate when he realises he cant get past. (bear in mind this "queue" of traffic is miles long).

I give him the open palm wtf gesture and filter in front of the next vehicle (a white van).

He saw all this happening and was quite happy to do 60 then to hold up Mr BMW even more while the rest of us continued along.

He knew exactly what he was doing. Gave me a thumbs up and they were all hanging out of the windows giving him the finger as I came off at my exit.
Laughing Karma

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

On a motorway, if the traffic's going 50 or faster, I stick with the traffic. Fastest I've filtered? 110, chasing an XV1100 on the M1. The folly of yoof.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on situation. If conditions are bad, like heavy rain and a lot of spray from other cars, visibility will be massively improved by filtering past into open road. Cars can also be very hesitant and unpredictable when they perceive conditions are bad. Exessive cars braking can be blinding.

Its a trade off between momentary and controlled higher risk Vs persistent high risk. It also means your awareness can be directed infront without needing to watch traffic behind you as much.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

Only filter as fast as you're comfortable. Just enjoy you keep your eye out for other bikes.

Personally I notice when the weather gets better more people commute by bike, meaning I get more hold ups. If you're slow when filtering then just keep an eye on your mirrors and let other bikes through when they catch you. There's nothing more depressing than getting stuck behind a slow filterer.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related topic, does anyone find that certain motorways are generally easier to filter on than others?

Case in point, my commute consists of M5 - M6 - M42 and there is a huge difference between them. The M5 is easiest. Car seem more aware of bike filtering, there is generally a bit more care given and, true or not, the lanes seem that bit wider. Therefore I will happily filter up to around 50mph, less if there are many lorries.

Compare this to the M6 and it's a different story. Drivers wadering all over their lanes, not seeing you, constantly switching lane... I'm honest, I don't much like to filter on there at all, and if I do, it's certainly not much more than 30.

M42 is usually pretty free flowing, so I don't tend to bother...

As another interesting observation, my motroway preference purely in terms of averae traffic sped and with no consideration given to speeding, which I obviously never do (honest), goes:
2 lane 70mph limit with no cameras> 3 land 70mph limit with occassional cameras> 3 lane variable speed limit 'smart' motorway.

Makes you wonder why they bother...

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

Personally I notice when the weather gets better more people commute by bike, meaning I get more hold ups. If you're slow when filtering then just keep an eye on your mirrors and let other bikes through when they catch you. There's nothing more depressing than getting stuck behind a slow filterer.

I raise you a slow filterer, wobbling along, wearing a Polite hi viz, who also turns to wag a finger at any driver he perceives hasn't given quite enough room so takes even longer.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

I raise you a slow filterer, wobbling along, wearing a Polite hi viz, who also turns to wag a finger at any driver he perceives hasn't given quite enough room so takes even longer.

Or those that bang their bikes off the limiter and shake their head at those that strayed 2 inches closer than they'd like. Wankers.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really find it acceptable or safe for a bike to be between the outside lane and the central reservation or crash barrier. I think it's pretty much total twats that would think otherwise.

As a car driver I guess you'd be pretty pissed if in a two lane carriageway with a solid central barrier, if your in lane two moved right over to the right to give a nice big gap between the lanes, to find a bike wants to try passing on the outside instead? Especially if the gap between lanes 1&2 was empty and generally wide enough all the way through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Falco wrote:

Only filter as fast as you're comfortable. Just enjoy you keep your eye out for other bikes.

I find the more I ride the faster I am comfortable doing it Razz I was terrified when I started but now its a rare journey that I don't.

It's those in-between situations I am unsure about. Like when traffic is rolling at 25-30 in a 40 or 50 zone, is it bikelahf/yoofish to go roaring through gaps while the car drivers day dream their way to their destination? Nothing worse than being stuck in the warm up phase of the journey behind a car that goes 10mph under the limit everywhere Evil or Very Mad

Agree on the filtering, though I'd counter that its still better than being in a car. Lots more bikers out now the weather is improving (though the rain last week drove a fair few of them back into cars). Can't help but wonder at these early morning bikers on spotless bikes, how do they find the time?

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:54 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much with everyone here, up to 50ish I'm fine to filter, above that in extreme situations (have to get to maccy D's before 10:30 for breakfast)

If it is going between a standstill and 60 and everywhere in between then I will filter most of the way because cars know you are there and they are more aware than usual. However if I am going 75 then it slows down to 50 I probably wouldn't filter, I'd only really consider it once it gets to about 40ish, but it all depends on the situation.

What are everyone's thoughts on the bikes that weave in and out of traffic when everyone is going 70 anyway?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above but just a side note, when traffic snarls up I tend to wait a few moments before starting to filter, as that gives the drivers time to pick their lane - invariably someone in 3 decides 2 is going to move faster so will make the lunge, usually last minute with not great observation.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many have said I also filter between lanes 2/3.

That is if we are talking about regular lanes motorway.

The problem I have here M3 is in a construction state for the last 5 years Rolling Eyes

The pyramids have been build in a less time.

That means the lanes are not standard there are 3 very narrow temporary lanes and no hard shoulder.

Very often there are 18 wheeler trucks in both lanes 1 and lane 2. That makes filtering even in 2/3 very unpleasant. So I do not filter there.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

What are everyone's thoughts on the bikes that weave in and out of traffic when everyone is going 70 anyway?

Twats.

I'm not even looking out for other bikes at that speed.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

It is the hesitant bimblers that get splatted in traffic.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

The same as for those who overtake on blind corners on solid-white lines - glad they will be far ahead of me when they inevitably wipe out.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:07 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
mkjackary wrote:

The same as for those who overtake on blind corners on solid-white lines - glad they will be far ahead of me when they inevitably wipe out.

yeh agreed - I do some pretty...'brave' overtakes but never round a blind corner. there's just absolutely no point (unless you're being shot at I guess)

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
I'm pretty much with everyone here, up to 50ish I'm fine to filter, above that in extreme situations (have to get to maccy D's before 10:30 for breakfast)

Well, if there's a DubbleSossidgeaNeggMcMuthaFukka at stake...

https://i.imgur.com/E2M61S7.gif
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often end up in between lane 1 and 2, cos I get stuck behind Long Way Round GS BMW dreamers with super wide metal boxes, who hold me up, despite the fact that the gap ahead is big enough to get through and I'm trying to get ahead of them.

In standstill traffic, ickle bikes are a boon, but if the traffic is just very slow, I normally just ride in it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2