Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What on road/off road(ish) bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: What on road/off road(ish) bike? Reply with quote

After much contemplation, I've decided it just wouldn't be fair to put my current bike through the misery of winter riding (yes, I know it's not really even summer yet, but bear with me).

I've always fancied picking up a second bike, with a thought do do a bit of green lane riding every now any then if the mood takes, so it would make some sort of sense to get a machine that can handle that as well.

I know next to nothing of what's out there in this category though, so I'd like a bit of advice from those in the know please!

Requirements are:

Road legal
<600cc
4 stroke
off road capable
Reliable
£2-3k
Not too high, so a 5ft4 Mrs Monkeypony can borrow it without needing a step ladder (to be fair, this isn't that important, she can buy her bloody own!! Laughing )

A little point in the right direction would be very handy please chaps Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends who do a lot of green lane riding have specific bikes for that purpose. One of the popular ones is a Yamaha WR450. The problem with that is, as far as I am aware, it is only daylight road legal. No lights and shit and absolute crap on road due to gearing. I think the same applies to the Honda CRF range.

My friends idea of green laneing is six foot deep puddles and mud baths mind Laughing Maybe there is something less extreme but I don't know.

How about an old Africa Twin Whistle

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, annoyingly, headlights are a bit of a must have!

An Africa twin in reasonable condition seems to be right at the top of, or a tad over budget, and is probably a bit bigger than I had in mind.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A later Pegaso fits the bill. Not going to set your world on fire but bucketloads of torque and fun in the twisties and happy to do trail work all day.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Yea, annoyingly, headlights are a bit of a must have!

An Africa twin in reasonable condition seems to be right at the top of, or a tad over budget, and is probably a bit bigger than I had in mind.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XRV750-Africa-Twin-/152547492851?hash=item23848a03f3:g:dK4AAOSwfRdZF1Fx

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
A later Pegaso fits the bill. Not going to set your world on fire but bucketloads of torque and fun in the twisties and happy to do trail work all day.

Thanks, looks like a solid contender. Never even heard of one before! Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've blown the <600cc requirement:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_dcat=9915&Model%2520Year=2006%7C2005%7C2004%7C2003%7C2002%7C2000&_nkw=f650gs&_sop=15

Feel free to ignore the ridiculously priced dealer bikes.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed March: "Honda C90"

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify Rogerborg's input; the BMW F650 is functionally almost identical to the Aprilia Pegaso 650. Same engine, with some differences but on the whole a clone. Take your pick of BMW prices for parts vs Aprilia. You're already in the Aprilia camp so you know the whole can-only-buy-from-Italy game.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a BMW 'X' bike it'll be lighter and more powerful than the GS, but there's precious few of them around because, well, they didn't call them GSes.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My leanings seem to be a bit more towards something like a Suzuki DRZ400 and a spare set of wheels for the other tyre choice. Mainly because, Japanese. Cheap parts.

No experience of owning or riding them though, other than a day spend bombing around Menorca a couple of years ago, on super smooth roads.

On paper though, they seem to be a reasonable compromise between on and off road.

Anyone have any experience of them?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
ADSrox0r wrote:

on yer bikes got a clean one for 2.5k

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off road w/out knobblies is bloody hard unless you're pretty experienced. An inch or two of mud for more than a few yards - especially on cambering paths and tackling elevation changes - can be quite a handful. The bike will probably be going over a few times unless it's on something like AC10s. And while something over 140kg will be easy enough to pick up the first couple of drops, you'll be knackered after the fifth time.

So you put knobblies on a light bike - but that's probably going to be a 4t 250 single - otherwise you're getting into competition bike territory w/ valve checks every 4 hours. Of the former I suppose the WR250F is the best - comes with lights and signals. But it's dearer than the KLX250 and even the CRF250L iirc. Put knobblies on these and you're not going to get a hell of a lot more than 3k miles out of them if you're spending 80% *on* road. So you could be wasting rubber.

Also, on the road these bikes are pants. 70 tops. More like 60. Feels a lot faster though because shit tyres, wide bars and general instability. Quite fun in a way.

I personally wouldn't go near something like a Pegaso unless on the tamest, most vanilla green lanes in dust-dry conditions. Basically, it's hard to have a bike that does both. A DRZ400 is good - but iirc over 140kg, and - like all the others - needs proper knobblies in a climate like the UK where mud, slime and wet grass are more the norm than the exception.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

on yer bikes got a clean one for 2.5k

Thought this was "interesting" -

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319955

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
A DRZ400 is good - but iirc over 140kg, and - like all the others - needs proper knobblies in a climate like the UK where mud, slime and wet grass are more the norm than the exception.

Yea, whatever I end up with, I'll just get a spare set of wheels for quick swapping between knobblies and roads tyres.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Yea, whatever I end up with, I'll just get a spare set of wheels for quick swapping between knobblies and roads tyres.

You say that now, but the impracticality of such a situation generally leads to people like me running mix tyres like TKC80's or Goldentyre GT 723's. If you fit 6 days or something then you'll hate riding to/from any lanes and you'll wear them down so fast you won't even get the benefit of them!

I for one am a big advocate of the XT660Z Tenere, which is slightly over 600 but is probably coming into your budget for an older/higher mileage one.

One thought I do have, is how much experience do you have riding off road? Off roading a big bike is quite a bit different/more difficult then a little bike. Just something to consider!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:24 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What on road/off road(ish) bike? Reply with quote

WR450 is a competition enduro bike. Not a great commuter. You can get ones with lighting options. That and the CRF have maintenance listed in hours.

An Africa twin would be a hideously heavy introduction to off roading.

Pegaso even worse than the Dakar for starting out getting muddy.

Now I've slagged everyone else's suggestions off...
The BMW-X I do like, apart from rarity - bit better commuting than the KTM690 And Husky TE610, but less good off road.

DRZ gives you the weight of the KTM with 2/3rds the power if you go for the S. E a bit better, but less good for commuting. Or get a CCM404e which uses the same engine.

As suggested I'd definitely look to have knobblies - a bike that comes with SM for the road and enduro for off road.

Why focus on cc?
Any reason you want a 4 stroke?
Will Mrs be riding off road?

I think overall an X-Country would best match your wants.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:

One thought I do have, is how much experience do you have riding off road? Off roading a big bike is quite a bit different/more difficult then a little bike. Just something to consider!

Most of my off road experience comes from small 2 stroke stuff. Easy to throw away, easy to pick up again! Never even tried a more "adventure" style bike off road.

Hence why my initial leanings are towards a smaller capacity, lighter bike. BUT, it will have to do a bit of road work over the winter. Not much, but enough that a little 250 will may not be bearable! Very Happy

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What on road/off road(ish) bike? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Why focus on cc?
Any reason you want a 4 stroke?
Will Mrs be riding off road?

I think overall an X-Country would best match your wants.

Thanks G.

CC isn't a huge issue, just that bigger usually means heavier!
4 stroke because I truly can't be arsed with the tinkering of a 2 stroke
Yea, Mrs monkey will be dabbling in offroad, but she's only done a couple of training days so far so very much a beginner.

Wielrdly, I've just spotted an X-Country for sale just around the corner from me, so might pop along and have a look Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:46 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What on road/off road(ish) bike? Reply with quote

Not too specifically for weight - ie the KTM 690 weighs less than a lot of lower capacity bikes and something like the Husaberg 650 weighs massively less than most 250cc 4 strokes and even some 2 strokes!

But, would probably need a lot more tinkering than say a KMX 2 stroke.

If you've got some off-road experience, you might be ok on a heavier bike, but for starting out I'd always suggest staying light.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What on road/off road(ish) bike? Reply with quote

G wrote:
WR450 is a competition enduro bike. .

Assuming this is in relation to my mention of the WR, I did say the WR250F. If it's a competition bike, it at least has manageable intervals - iirc 6k miles. Iirc it's a detuned YZ w/ stand, coil for electrics, and all the relevant lights, etc.

Or maybe that's the wr250r. Confused

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-WR-250-F-WRF-2006-ENDURO-GREEN-LANE-ELECTRIC-START-RPM-OFFROAD-LTD-/302267927185?hash=item4660928a91:g:-34AAOSww3tY3Oj3

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have default suggested a well proven older simple but goody bike like an XR250/400, or a DR/XT 350 etc.

Best off roader for making it easy I ever used was a WR250F, but not so sure on one as a road bike.

If you get a simple, clean tidy older Jap bike and one that were sold in 1000's, then parts should be cheaper and easy to get compared to exotic European bikes.

If I was a novice off roader, but wanting to spunk my cash on a trick orange bike, I'd give it second thoughts, firstly as you might keep dropping it and breaking things, and also as KTM parts seem to be mail order and bloody expensive, but they are probably quicker to obtain than say Italian bike parts generally.

I'd want to be a bloody decent off road rider personally before I'd even consider a 500cc+ bike and all the extra weight that entails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd want to be a bloody decent off road rider personally before I'd even consider a 500cc+ bike and all the extra weight that entails.

That was very much my thinking. I'm certainly no a "bloody decent" off roader!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive said before, but I remember going to a local trial once where most of the older guys had nice light modern Beta's and Gasgas bikes.

A younger guy that was obviously a bit of an expert, rocked up on a Honda XL600R all std with indicators and full instruments etc. It had trials tyres on it too. The bloke cleaned every section in the clubman class at least once as the course got more muddy etc. Many of the boys on their pro TXT Gasgas bikes were paddling around and getting stuck.

I dunno how much a Honda XL600R weighs, but it was a good example of what G said in that the rider makes the bike competitive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my DRZ, feels a bit bland now I've got used to it but really reliable and handles green lanes well. I can swap my wheels over from SM to offroad in about 15 mins.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3