Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many bikes is to many?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as too many motorbikes.

Ever.

Fucks sake. It's like saying "how much is too much cheese"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went from 4 bikes down to 1. Not all were on the road at the same time.

I'm surprised that many agree here and think a 1 or 2 seems best, but then I guess it's understandable as we've all been there at some point.

I would say that 1 bike and a car, or 2 bikes are the best options. One bike is something that makes you happy, and the other is more of a commuter/winter transport.

I found that now I've gone down to 1 bike, I was a lot more eager to get maintenance issues sorted (e.g. full coolant flush, valve clearances, oil changes, sorting brakes etc).

It's not that I didn't do these before, but there was just less motivation. I'd do one job on one bike, then have to do it again with the other. Also I cba doing valve clearances on 2 shim under bucket 16 valve bikes. Or not so much that I can't be bothered, but just that I don't want to give up 2 weekends to do that job twice (I get 1 day off a week).

It's also nicer not to have to move bikes about to get room in the garage to do maintenance work.

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Bikes are a better investment than putting it in the bank, so If I had the space I'd get as many as I could fit.

Bikes are an investment?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to qualify the idea of 'Bike'.

The Seven-Fifty is general-purpose all-round 'hack' Road-Bike, that earns it's keep working for a living.

The Cota is a sentiment machine; I bought it when I was 15, it was my first 'proper' bike... that actually worked! It's been part of the furnature for over 30 years; and when it was a bone of contension with 'Parents' magically dissapeared (into apple-crates), a trick it repeated a couple of times over the decades, most noteably during 'Divorse'!

BUT, dedicated competition bike; it doesn't need to be taxed, insured or MOT'd to be used; it's not a 'motorcycle' in the same way that the Seven-Fifty is; its not a road-vehicle; it's a bit of leisure equipment like a fishing rod, set of golf-clubs or a multi-gym

In a similar way. I have 3 Super-Dream 125s knocking about in variouse states of completion/dissassembly. If you counted bits of metal with VIN numbers on, that might crank up to 6. But, like the Cota, they are not 'motorbikes' in the same sense that the Seven-Fifty is, or even the Cota. An on going 'project', they are a big mechano kit to play spanners; they could be half completed Ship-in-a-Bottle kits! The most recently 'done' one may briefly be T&T'd and get an outing or four, for the "Bludy ell, it WORKS!" concluding glory; but, otherwise at that point thier worth to me is neglgible!

Collections? Some folk collect postage stamps, or novelty tea-pots?!?! Why not motorbikes, if you have the space and the interest? Twenty years ago, I lived with my Uncle's ecclectic collection, or around twenty or thirty bikes. Most started as mechano-kits, for the spanner fun, but when done, he put them on the shelf like ship-in-a-bottle. Yes, he Had an MV Agusta on a pedestal in the hall of the house! Other's though, like the Ducati Street-Scrambler, or the Morini 350 Sport, were all kept on a single multi-bike policy, and Tax-Exempt, be MOT'd every year for the odd outing. I think he had six 'classic' mopeds all road-legal at one point! He turned up to a show on a 35cc Moto-Guzzi Trotter, he carried around the stands by it's handle rather than 'park' once! Was amusing... you have to pcture 'Hagrid' on THE smallest pedal & pop moped ever!

Not sure about the 'investment value'.. I know that interest rates are low to laughable at the moment, but when he's culled the herd a few times over the years, few have ever apreciated in value, sitting in the shed, over what they were worth the day thier resto was finished. The Ducatti Street-Scrambler, which when it's resto was complete was valued at around £3K, when sold about three or five years later, barely actually returned it's build cost, barely 1/2-2/3 that!

An old aquaintance & mate of Unc's, is the sort of inspiration behind the 'idea' of investment bikes; A builder by trade, he rode Scrambles in the Jeff Smith era, and used the winter lay-off to do a 'project'. He built his own house whe he got married, and started with the garage/workshop! And a huge cellar to keep the collection in! Legend goes that in 1985, he emerged from the man-cave around March to find a mountain of washing up in the (still unfinished!) kitchen; shrugged, rinced a cup, made a cup of tea and went to work. Wasn't until around June he found the 'Dear-John' letter on the dining room table, when he sat down to read the mail, and was wondering why he had a solicitors letter! She'd been divorsing him for half a year on grounds of 'abandonment! (see below on N-1 ideal bike number equations!)

His collection was pretty astounding, and at one point he admitted it did include a Brough Superior, and 'two or three' Vincents! You'd be talking about something like a Norton International, and he'd pipe up "I think I've got one of them!" And a week later, he'd beckon you over to his van to have a look at it! "I thought still had it!" He'd say "So I thought I'd give it some day-light".

Most of them were 1930/40/50's Brit-Bikes with a few 60's/70's Italan exotics chucked in, he'd often not even bought, but bartered for 'bits' or work in the 60's & 70's, and sat around until he was bored and decided to tackle the resto on one; then stashed. I the 90's he did pick half a dozen a year to show and parade, though; and he occassionally culled the collection, not so much to make money, but find space for whatever he'd most recently restored!

One of the few I know who has actually seen a real return on investment on old bikes; but mostly from serendipity and not actually really 'investing' very much to start with! And for every Vincent he had, he admitted there were at least ten old BSA C15's or B40's or James or Fanny-B's, or even less loved Triumph/BSA/AMC twins, that would struggle to command thier resto-price, let alone turn a profit!

So you have "Road-Bikes", you have "Competition-Bikes" you have "Project-Bikes" you have "Collectors-Bikes" and you possibly have "Speculators-Bkes".

I dont see an awful lot of point in having three or four or more 'road-bikes', all taxed, tested and insured at one time, all to do pretty much the same job, going to and from work or pottering to the pub, just to suit your mood, like choosing between whether to wear slacks, jeans or shorts from the wardrobe! Little more point having different bikes for different jobs, like say a commuter hack to get to work and something a bit more dedicated for the week-end, like a dirt bike or sports bike, or even a big tourer for the summer-holiday; but at the end of the day; different strokes for different folks! If you have the space and you have the money and it doesn't hurt any-one, what the heck! It's little different to collecting stamps or tea-pots, or having a tenis racket as well as a fishing rod!

Answer then is; as many as you want, can find space for, and afford to have an still eat! So 'too-many' would be when you run out of space for them, and having to make choices between things like renewing the bike-tax or paying the water rates! On that sort of reasoning, ONE bike, if it's the WRONG bike is probably too many for a lot of folk, tryig to run one as thier every-day!

duhawkz wrote:
The correct number of bikes is N -1 where N is the number of bikes that will result in divorce

Your sum's been over simplified
If N is the number of bikes that will result in divorce, and
T is total number of bikes you require for a happy life;
You first have to calculate Q, where Q is the Cost/Benefit ratio of staying married......

Now, T=N-Q

Where the potential for the cost/benefit ratio of staying married to be a negative number, would mean that exceeding 'N' could actually prove the correct number of bikes for a happy life!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:17 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now 5 is too many (2 technically aren't mine either, the CG and Virago my other halfs and dads but I still pay towards maintenance and running as I use them more than either).

I think 2 is optimum, one to take out whilst the other is laid up or whatever, I'm trying to go for one all rounder, commuter tourer + one sporty or classic, the first part has been fulfilled (TDM) the second part is a lot harder, heart says classic (z1000, GS/CB 750 etc) but other thing says GSXR, R6 or ZXR for going out with the lads (surely isn't my brain saying that either!).

Tried one do it all bike with the Striple and before with the VFR 750, just didn't do it for me, too many compromises for both in certain areas that just made it a struggle to enjoy fully.

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on your situation but I have 2 atm. F800ST for everyday use and a 690 SMCR for some occasional fun.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a friend with 39 bikes and shes looking at adding an awesome bimota to her collection

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building a drive and concrete pad and shed combo.

When that is complete I will be looking for a bike, although won't be able to get one probably since we'll then be doing the kitchen.

I don't think I'll ever get shut of the ZZR. I've ruined it, as in nobody would want to buy it for a figure that's worth selling it. So I will always have whatever bike is my bike + the ZZR in the future, though the ZZR may not always be road legal.

I remember commuting on my CG and then getting on the ZZR at weekends and for the odd commute. The power, the speed!

The next bike I get will have to be different to the ZZR so they feel different, if they are too similar, what's the point?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:59 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4.

I have a house with a 1.5 width single garage with up and over doors on the front and rear. My Girlfriend also has a bike which I keep here, so we're at the limit of storage space now just about, unless I build a shed for the bicycles and lawn mower etc.

Insurance just got weird, because Auntie Carole didn't want to insure my 600RR track bike for a reasonable sum, so I got a separate MCE policy for it for half the money. So I currently have a three bike multibike from CN and a single bike policy with 0 no claims from MCE.

MOT's is a faff, I've just done the Buell and I'm going to do the Street today. I've spaced the rest out enough that it's not too much of an issue, and my car MOT and insurance are six months away.

The way I see it is that I can afford 4, I can afford the tax and insurance on 4, why not have 4? They are all bikes that I love to ride, and they are all different enough to justify. I probably don't ride the KR1S enough really, but the others get pretty regular use.

I'd ideally like an Enduro bike too, but I just can't justify another, especially when they are such theft magnets.

I think in an ideal world I'd sell the XB12R and the Street Triple, and buy an XB12S to do both jobs but I like my bikes, they are set up for me and I know they've been looked after. I'd also prefer to own something like an NSR250 MC21 instead of the KR1S but I just can't justify the cost really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have two, both ZX6Rs.
One is in perfect nick and doesn't need any real maint. The other is my tinkering toy which may or may not end up as a track bike.
If I could find a ZX10 B1 at the right price the count would be up to 3.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:41 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Difficult one.

Firstly , I am bad hoarder and not just of bikes. Just about anything that 'might be useful some day'.

Add to hoarding instincts there is also the emotional attachment issue.

I have no worries about having a load of bikes, or more than I could possibly need (or frankly, could afford to MOT and tax any one year), but knowing how much needs doing to how many of them does get me down a bit. I am deliberately avoiding doing anything to some as I don't want any more half done jobs around.

I probably will thin things out a touch, but not sure where (probably the GSXR50 once registered, and probably the H100, as honestly I don't really see myself using them even if taxed / insured / MOTed). But on the other hand there are other bikes I would buy if they turned up as a reasonable price (Yamaha TZR125 in blue with a full fairing for example).

Currently there are 4 bikes on the road:-

Bimota Dieci
Yamaha YSR50
TZR250
Cagiva Freccia

All are getting ridden (and I really am liking riding the Cagiva). I could put the Bandit 1200 and the RD350 on the road with no effort at all (RD could do with new steering head bearings, and that is a job I hate but they are OK to get through an MOT), and probably will in the next month or so. And another 3 with a day or so of fiddling.

But even the ones that need quite a bit of work I can't bring myself to sell. The ones that were bought for a sensible purpose and which served that purpose have gone (GSXR1100, ZZR600, FZR600, Triumph Thunderbird, 600 Bandit).

All the best

Katy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a simple formula which you can use to determine the appropriate number of bikes. Also applies to push bikes and canoes.

x=n+1 OR x=d-1

for the highest value of x.

x is the ideal number of bikes.
n is the current number of bikes you own.
d is the number of bikes cited as constituting unreasonable behaviour on divorce papers.

I'm currently juggling 4 bikes on the road, one in storage and one for spares. Takes quite a bit of time. Value for d is relatively high though because two of them are the wifes.

We also have 7 push bikes in the household and three canoes.

I need a bigger house. Or an aircraft hanger.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Bicycles I can understand, they don't cost you money sitting there doing nothing, and they can be sat for long periods without badly degrading.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An older friend some years back said of alcohol;
One's enough,
Two's too many,
Three's not nearly enough.

My first though is that this applies to Bikes as well... however...

In the early 80s I usually had 4 or 5 at any one time, but at best only had 2 of them running correctly.
These were all what we'd now call small bikes, ranging from 50cc up to 500cc, as most bikes then were much smaller than now.
This came about because although I'm not much of a mechanic, back then my mate Mal was (now sadly no longer alive).
I bought a Suzi GT185 really cheap that was running poorly and the guy couldn't get it to run right despite great efforts and expense.
Half an hour with Mal and it ran like a dream (not a super dream Laughing ).
So I sold it for decent money (for the time but still not big bucks) and started buying a few more 'almost non-runners' thinking I could make some money and trade up from my then bike (Suzi GT250 IIRC).
Unfortunately Mals biggest interests in life were pussy and beer by far, so it got difficult grabbing him when he wasn't either busy sniffing round his next rough bird conquest or when he was sober enough to look at an engine...
I did polish them and tart them up slightly (the bikes not his next conquest) and didn't lose money selling them on but rarely made enough to have made it a sensible choice.
I manages to reduce it to 1 or 2 in the late 80s and down to 1 in the 90s all the way through until last year, but then bought a second bike.
I'd intended to sell the 'first' bike but the market doesn't seem to value it the same way I do, so I'll keep it and use it occasionally until I can get my original outlay back... or I need the money/space.

So the answer really comes down to expense.
If you're a good mechanic and can buy cheap and add value, then have as many as you can maintain. But for me, 2 is OK but just one would be better.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, two works for me - one for commuting on salty winter roads and track days (ZX6R) and the other (GSXR1000) for spring and summer commuting + sunny weekends.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Bicycles I can understand, they don't cost you money sitting there doing nothing, and they can be sat for long periods without badly degrading.

Depends if said bicycles cost more than a new motorbike I know a least 1 person whose push bike cost more than 10k

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Ever.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.84tEMw5FtwInyyRIrT2YogEsDM&w=281&h=191&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

AND

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP._zSziVkYkhBPzl6L8kbv8wEyDM&w=273&h=179&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

PLUS

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR5Z_PI0XTEnAux40kuwJS5VXbZyeCQ-f3y6oB1H2X6ZeFUDsI

EQUALS

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCfQ4JxflhTA0Wfei_i9MrIUSKzQVqXM-lCd_WfgyXAcxHK0x6aw

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I have 4.

600RR track bike
KR1S
XB12R
Street Triple

That's a nice mix, all offering something very different from each other. The way to go.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:12 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unheard of two (or more) bikes of the same make and model so one is always on the road while fixing the other(s) and you can swap parts between them.

Only need one plate, MOT and tax disc between them Wink

Furthest extreme I've seen this taken is my mates 5 reliant scimitars which he claims is the minimum number required to guarantee one is always running and roadworthy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
M.C wrote:

Depends if said bicycles cost more than a new motorbike I know a least 1 person whose push bike cost more than 10k

Oh yeah you can pay silly money for bicycles, I know someone who spend 3.5k on a frame Shocked However I was mainly referring to the running costs, which are zero in terms of fuel/tax/insurance, and things don't rot the same way as on a motorbike.

Depends when you live but they can be the perfect backup transport.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the insurance for my push bike is £100-150ish it was only costing me £250ish to insure my fireblade

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Fisty wrote:

Ever.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.84tEMw5FtwInyyRIrT2YogEsDM&w=281&h=191&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

AND

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP._zSziVkYkhBPzl6L8kbv8wEyDM&w=273&h=179&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

PLUS

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR5Z_PI0XTEnAux40kuwJS5VXbZyeCQ-f3y6oB1H2X6ZeFUDsI

EQUALS

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCfQ4JxflhTA0Wfei_i9MrIUSKzQVqXM-lCd_WfgyXAcxHK0x6aw

You must able to see inside my head Shocked

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's not unheard of two (or more) bikes of the same make and model so one is always on the road while fixing the other(s) and you can swap parts between them.

Only need one plate, MOT and tax disc between them

I got one of the bikes MOT'd last week and they made a big deal about checking the frame number.
I think it's now part of the MOT to be certain that people don't just swap plates...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
To be honest the insurance for my push bike is £100-150ish it was only costing me £250ish to insure my fireblade

But do you don't need it to ride on the road Smile My bikes are such low value I wouldn't bother insuring them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon, I fucking dare you to do a concise TL;Dr of your above post? It's confused the fuck out of me that's for sure!

Are you saying lots of bikes is good or bad? What about lots of the same bike, and lots of broken ones?

In your boat, I can get you having the classic twin shocker trials iron, the working CB750F and a superdream 125 each for you and the missus, maybe a spares bike or parts, and maybe a project one for your kids if/when time comes they want to ride.

Whats happening with the VF1000R though? Are you still replacing it with a used blackbird, or are you going to restore it and let it live again? It would fuck me off and others to think of one buying more newer tidier bikes to use, but then also letting a rare classic sit in the yard for 20years till its so fucked it'll need weighing in for scrap.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd throw this out there, what about the difference between you real riders and people that commute/tour/compete in events or have replaced the 2nd family car with a bike etc.

Should you lot that pile on the miles, go out in all conditions or push bikes in sport/competition to the point where things break often, have more bikes and be justified in doing so?

The people like me who tinker/re-build and hardly ride their bikes or don't have any transport needs for one etc, should we be less able to justify owning several bikes due to lack of use? Personally I think so as I'd never be so much of a cunt to want say 10bikes that'll never get ridden or run. I'd be wreaking them and fucking things up for others with more time/money or need for bikes.

I don't really buy the investment thing, though some bikes have done far better at appreciating than others. If I was a collector of mint desirable two strokes for example, I'd display them but I'd build each one with a dummy engine that had no internals to dry out or degrade, as a show bike does not need to be a runner, and spending say £2-3k on an RD500 engine re-build for a bike that's a museum piece to give visual pleasure is both unnecessary and a waste of good parts a real rider/biker could benefit from.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5