Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many bikes is to many?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: How many bikes is to many? Reply with quote

Those who are regular on this forum are aware that some of us have more than one bike , for whatever reason.

It`s not about showing off or being rich, it`s more about not being able to say no when you should.
For me bikes are a hobby and bikes, like fishing rods , each one does a different job.

I have more than one bike and apart from struggling to decide what bike to use, there is multiple insurance, tax, & MOT, as well as maintaining them.

I cope and would have no issue selling one to maintain the others .

However all my mates are a lot worse than me and it puzzles me.
For example, one of my mates is trying to get one each of every single cylinder road going two-smoke Suzuki from 1970-to-present and owns about 30 bikes (not all on the road i might add).
Another mate of mine has 17 bikes at the last count.
I can think of at least three other people who own at least five bikes.
Mind you a lot of these live under covers and in the garden for years at a time

So how many bikes is to many to focus on and keep in good working order?
Do you lot struggle to keep more than one bike in good order or are you all wizards?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Kickstart... Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have one or two bikes in excellent condition that can be used, then 30 piles of shite cluttering my garden while they rust

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct number of bikes is N -1 where N is the number of bikes that will result in divorce

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have 2. The Trophy and the Fazer 600 hack. Wifie has sold hers and daughter only rides horses now so the bike count has never been lower for a good few years.

I could easily collect bikes if I had enough space but I would spend more time tinkering with them than riding them especially now my health isn't so brilliant.

When I was young and single I probably averaged about 5 bikes but only really rode a couple. Since wifie came along, maybe 3 but only riding 1 regularly.

I do the same with my boat. Spend loads of time and money on it and take it out for a jaunt about once a month. Embarassed

Perhaps I ought to take up bowls or something. Cheaper thats for sure.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any point in owning bikes that arnt needed or like you say don't have a specific specified use each that you can justify.

A best bike, a winter bike, a cheap sleeper, a rat bike, touring bike, city commuter or off roader etc. All very justifiable IMO.

What I don't get is these people that have say 3 RGV250's or Fireblade's, especially if they are all of the same era. No point to that at all.

And I don't get those people that wank themselves off over rare SP versions of sports bikes, as the std version with some professional setting up or quality aftermarket suspension parts is often a better ride on the road.

The SP bikes are more for the collectors and originality junkies IMO.

Saying all that I've kinda shit my own bed, as I own 2x Kawasaki KMX's, and have some spare engines. I have ideas and plans for all my 30year old Jap crap though so it's OK to me at least.

Two of the same bike is actually very handy for restoration projects and or trouble shooting and swapping parts around for testing etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, 2 is 1 too many it would appear.

I don't miss the Striple much, fun though it was. I just can't afford to run two bikes and a car.

But I count myself fortunate to have found a bike that suits all my needs admirably. There's not really anything that I want more. I guess my requirements have simplified over recent years, and I'm happy with that.

Peppers, we're all different. Nowt wrong with having dozens of bikes if that's your thing. Nowt wrong with having one. Having none, however, is unacceptable.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only answer is how much money do you have?.

If I had a home with a garage I would never likely sell the good bikes, just keep them for the right day. Living in rented accommodation in London my ability to retain any sort of bike for a long time is pretty low.

As far as hoarding possessions I think motorcycles are a fantastic choice as they can physically take you somewhere, Unlike say books which can only transport the mind.

If you have many different vehicle choices on any given day more power to you Thumbs Up.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Perhaps I ought to take up bowls or something. Cheaper thats for sure.

You go and wash your mouth out with soap right now Evil or Very Mad !

Anyway once you got into bowls, you`d then NEED the Super X bowl , because it`s better?
It would of course cost twice as much as an ordinary set of bowls.
So now you`d have two sets of bowls, just because!

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are a better investment than putting it in the bank, so If I had the space I'd get as many as I could fit.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2. I won't be having more than 2.

I have had 7 at one point, all on the road, and it was getting silly.

Now, with a lottery win, and the space/time? I can name 30 or so I'd have in a heartbeat.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we're collecting bikes, then I'll have all the Japanese and Italian 80's-90's two stroke 125 and 200cc trail bikes as my area of autism. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:37 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that three is pushing it. You're spoilt for choice, and it becomes easier to ignore something that's needing done one one bike by using the other ones. Too far down that route and you end up with a garden full of Teffed out heaps.

Oh, and it's a bit embarrassing when MOT chap looks at the odometer and you have to say "Of course, this is just my winter bitch / fun commuter / lazy summer bike."

Of course, I want 3 + 1. Whistle

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

And I don't get those people that wank themselves off over rare SP versions of sports bikes, as the std version with some professional setting up or quality aftermarket suspension parts is often a better ride on the road.

The SP bikes are more for the collectors and originality junkies IMO.

Let's not start bulshitting ourselves that most SP's are somehow inferior to the vanilla shitty standard versions, cause they aren't.

Anyway, I digress. Four bikes is the right number. In my case-

GSXR1100. - commuter / tourer
GSXR400RKSP - cause racebike
YR5 - cause 2t racebike as I can never afford a proper TZ
GT200 - for the lulz

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:52 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have three. But I'm "between bikes."

The ER5 is listed for sale.
The Burgman is my daily commuter... or will be once the ER5 has sold (so I can switch insurance and not lose my NCD)
The GN125 is still not roadworthy, but I am slowly putting it together. This way I can learn about bikes more without buggering up my daily commuter.

I'm far from well-off, which is why my bikes have a combined value of about £1,200. I don't want finance either as we're going to remortgage soon. Once I start earning more pennies, I'll eventually trade up to one (maybe two) more modern bike(s).

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First up...

Quote:
How many bikes is toOmany?

...now that's out of the way, I think 5 might be too many for me.

1. Daily rider - boring, reliable, cheap to run, thrives on neglect. Maybe a CB500S?
2. Old Brit Sunday bike. Something to fettle and tweak, but it's not the end of the world if it's currently not running and in many bits. Probably an Enfield, since I'm more experienced with them.
3. Long distance motorway muncher. Shaft, luggage, fully faired, comfort for two.
4. C90. Everyone should have one.

I thought about adding something green lane/off roady, but in reality I'm too fat, creaky and clumsy to partake of anything so energetic.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

4. C90. Everyone should have one.

Tbh, I haven't looked closely behind the shed, but chances are, there'll be one there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two, but I am struggling to part with the first bike I have ever owned.

At first I thought, I could use the Blackbird for doing miles and the Hornet for fun and around town stuff. After moving I didn't have a decent place to store 2 bikes (my flat and driveway is in a bit of a Bristol hotspot for thefts). I laid up the Hornet hoping to buy somewhere in the near future, which is yet to happen, so it's in my parents garage gathering dust.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one bike, and then my father passed away and I inherited 4 more. Most of them he'd had for years, indeed I'd ridden pillion on a few of them as a kid and had many fond memories of them and times spent out with him.
I was loathe to sell any of them, but I wasn't riding them all and didn't want to see them rot away. Looking after them was becoming burdensome so while I was genuinely sad to see them go it was the right thing to do.
I now have two bikes (naked commuter/hooner & cruiser fag) and sometimes think a third would be handy, however I have enough other shit to sort out so I put it out of my mind as quickly as it comes in!
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had no alternative transport options I'd have more than one bike, but something cheaper as a backup (under 400cc). Did very nearly by an MSX as a backup/fun bike, but I can't really justify the cost of a second bike.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:07 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

8+ is ridiculous (been there)
7 is too many
6 is a bit pointless
5 is more than plenty
4 is somewhat impractical
3 is almost sensible
2 is nice
1 is happiness

(currently down to 5 at the moment. Would love to just have one but it's a painful process)

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I had five.

RZR 250 a resto project, partially completed, didn't have time and sold on.
NSR 250 ran it on the road.
CBR600f everyday fun!
DRZ400E off road blasts.
GasGas 280 trials, slower off road blasts.

Probably couldn't have afforded it in the UK, the off road bikes weren't taxed, insured or sorned, still used on the road, cos Cyprus!
It was peanuts to tax and insure the road bikes as well, no MOT's required either.
It was nice to the have off road options, as well as the road bikes.
I probably shouldn't have bought the NSR, it was the last bike I bought and I didn't get to use it that much.

Ideally I'd like 3 bikes one for the road, one for off road and one to restore.

I do have three at the moment, FZ1-N, SRX600, (resto project), and an XL125RC, but 2 are here and one's in Cyprus, I will be getting an off road bike in Cyprus, so for my situation the ideal number will be four!

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
The correct number of bikes is N -1 where N is the number of bikes that will result in divorce

Should that not be +1 Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

to many, many is too few
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5