Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many bikes is to many?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will always be about riding them for me. I don't want museum pieces collecting dust. Even if they're rare, I'd choose them on the basis that I think i'd enjoy riding them. But only if I could comfortably afford to keep them in good running order (and I more or less gave up tinkering years ago, so that'd mean paying someone else to service/maintain them....now, where did I put that lottery ticket...).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have said some interesting stuff on this matter and it has made me think .
Maybe I`m pushing it a bit trying to keep three bikes on the road.
Maybe I am deluding myself that I can justify three bikes and I`m never going to give them the riding time/attention they deserve.

See the stupid thing is that someone somewhere will offer me a bike really cheap and I will think of an excuse why I really need to buy it Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any more KMX's, but if I was offered a very cheap complete MTX or a TS for example, it'd be nice to buy and rebuild, just to see what the rivals were like and have a set of 80's trail bikes. A 200cc variant of any could really get me twitching too.

Its big bikes I struggle with the concept of owning lots of though. To me all a big bike should be about is being more comfy, relaxing and grunty and make reliable long distance travel possible. So if I had a Hornet 900 or a Z1300 or an FJ1200 I don't see why I'd need another big bike?

I'll never ride fast enough again to need a Fireblade or R1, but I like the nostalgia of buying something like a GPZ900R or a big Honda CB1100R as they are still fast enough but you wouldn't push them around on the road or try to go all Marc Marquez on any of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'll never ride fast enough again to need a Fireblade or R1, but I like the nostalgia of buying something like a GPZ900R or a big Honda CB1100R as they are still fast enough but you wouldn't push them around on the road or try to go all Marc Marquez on any of them.

You nearly got me playing the bike collection fantasy game there...phew, just stopped myself in time Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride every day, my bikes are my main transport and I share the car with the mrs who uses it for work.

I have three. Currently have

ER6F - Commuter/tourer/fun bike. It's shit two up, pillion makes it wallowy and unstable. .
CG125 - Also commuting (depends on my mood and which office I'm going to), the odd run when I feel like a change. I've become a bit attached to it as it was my first bike and I did a full rebuild.
CX500 - Project nearing completion, refurb to standard as it was my grandad's which has been off the road since '86. Planning this as the lazy run/two up bike.

First two are used regularly, the CX probably will be also. I'll probably add a fourth which will be something with more performance to fill the pride and joy spot but I haven't quite decided what it will be yet. Currently thinking Tracer 900 as I'd like two up ability plus fun. Maybe a Tuono twin if the CX works out well for two-up. Trouble is I'd also like a supermoto. Might sell the CG to fill that spot but as I said I've become attached. I'd also like sports bike for track use. And to maybe try a cruiser at some point.

This is the problem.

Realistically I don't want more than four as it does become hard to ride them all and I really can't be arsed with the maintenance and cost. Already I'm finding my motivation waning for routine maintenance work, but that's maybe because I have the CX project getting in the way.

I think eventually I'll have three - a commuting hack, one for touring/longer runs/two up and a hooligan/track machine. Ideally I want another microlight and aa cheap mx5 too. I don't need the latest and greatest though, it's the bargains that always catch my attention.

I just need to get over my attachment issues :\

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes are toys. The Trophy gets taken out for a ride on a sunny day with like minded friends on nice biking roads to somewhere where there is a nice pub, a bike shop or a chippy. I doubt if I will ever tour any distance anymore which makes the actual type of bike pretty pointless. I use the car to go anywhere else.

However I am now retired and will not ever work full time again so if I sell the Trophy and don't replace it immediately that money will fritter away and I'll never afford or justify another good bike. Wifie has said as I am not giving up riding I might as well keep it until it is too heavy for me and is my life insurance still valid. Wub

I'd sell the Fazer, it's never used now but I wouldn't get anything for it, a cat b or c with a rattle can finish and Penelope Pitstop transfers doesn't command much on ebay:lol:

I can't ever have no bike. Maybe an Enfield would keep me happy and I'll still have the fazer if I want something fastish.

So I want two bikes and I hardly ride. Stupid.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, am I the only bugger on this forum who owns just <cough> one bike ?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I just thought I'd throw this out there, what about the difference between you real riders and people that commute/tour/compete in events or have replaced the 2nd family car with a bike etc.

Should you lot that pile on the miles, go out in all conditions or push bikes in sport/competition to the point where things break often, have more bikes and be justified in doing so?

The people like me who tinker/re-build and hardly ride their bikes or don't have any transport needs for one etc, should we be less able to justify owning several bikes due to lack of use? Personally I think so as I'd never be so much of a cunt to want say 10bikes that'll never get ridden or run. I'd be wreaking them and fucking things up for others with more time/money or need for bikes.

I don't really buy the investment thing, though some bikes have done far better at appreciating than others. If I was a collector of mint desirable two strokes for example, I'd display them but I'd build each one with a dummy engine that had no internals to dry out or degrade, as a show bike does not need to be a runner, and spending say £2-3k on an RD500 engine re-build for a bike that's a museum piece to give visual pleasure is both unnecessary and a waste of good parts a real rider/biker could benefit from.

I don't think you need to justify owning the bikes that you own to anyone else except yourself (and/or your family). I think the justification just comes down to money and being willing to spend the time on maintenance/repairs/MOT etc.

If you have the money and enjoyed crazy fast sports bikes, but 50 pence every bend, I wouldn't say that person is any less deserving than someone who takes it on a track. It's their money after all.

Except for a select few bikes, the majority are depreciating assets. Even then, when you look at some of these rare classics, some are about the same price as they were new, but without taking inflation into account. Then you've got the running costs over that time, insurance, parts etc.

I would much rather have the same money in a diversified portfolio of funds over the same length of ownership, than have a bike i'd be worried about riding/dropping.

Then again, if I had plenty of money, had a house paid for, and retirement sorted, I could see myself "investing" in an RC30 or RC45. Very Happy

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people seem to have multiple similar bikes, which seems a little pointless.

I had 3 last year:

Gsxr 1000 k6 - had this on its own. Did a track day and decided I wanted to do more track days.

Gsxr 600 k1 - bought and converted it to track bitch.

Speed triple - after track riding found the gsxr 1000 unrewarding on the road. Wanted something with closer gear ratios and a bit more comfy.

I then sold the track bike due to time and money commitments and then the 1000 as the speed triple suits me more right now.

If money was no object id probably collect pristine examples.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 at the moment the falco, and the GPZ500, whihc hasn't seen action in years.

THe falco suits me all round, but it's getting close to 40k on the clocks now.

I'm considering bringing the GPZ back on the road for the shittiest of the weather, and for the more mundane commutes.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've 3;

Triumph daytona 675: Modern Bike, used for commuting, jollies and the occasional (slow) trackday

Honda z50m: Bit of a museum piece, needs finishing

Norton Dominator 99: Classic, I just haven't had the time to ride it since becoming a father, mainly because of the amount of maintaince she needs!

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

having owned 4 at one point in time, it was too many. Depends on how deep your pockets are.

I came to the conclusion that if you cannot afford to maintain all the bikes then you probably have too many.

I now have 3 (thundercat, decent gpz900 and gpz900 that's in 1000 pieces). One has to wait for 12+ months whilst i spend all my spare cash supporting the other two (as well as a wife to be, 2 children + mortgage etc etc) so i think to myself, whats the point of it being there.

Its personal i spose, for me 2 is enough*

*for now

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say I'm working my way down to 2 then I go and put a deposit on a bros Brick Wall Peppers I'm blaming you Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 5 bikes at once at my peak (6 if you include the girlfriend's GS500); GPZ750R, AJS 350, CB250RS, CB400/4 in the kitchen and a CM200 rat in boxes. At the time I sold them, only the GPZ, CB and AJS were running, and only the GPZ and AJS were legal.

I think it doesn't matter how many I have, I can only mentally look after 3 at a time Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

No, I'm now back down to one.

Most I've ever had at a time was three, on two occasions:

Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo
Kawasaki 750 H2C (Denco-tuned nut bike)
Honda CB400N Superdream Sick

And later on:

Kawasaki 750 H2B
Kawasaki Z1
Kawasaki Z650B

I used to be a bit of a Kawasaki nut, in the days of air cooled bikes.

I do have a strange and persistent hankering for a Laverda Montjuic 500, but it ain't gonna happen.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:25 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I have 4.

600RR track bike
KR1S
XB12R
Street Triple

That's a nice mix, all offering something very different from each other. The way to go.

They all have one thing in common, they are all bikes reputed for their handling. In my mind that makes them all a little too similar, but they do have different jobs and do different things. The Buell and the Street are interchangeable in a lot of ways. Both reasonably light, semi comfortable and fast enough for me. The Street is more of a 'I Have to be somewhere' bike than the Buell. You can cover ground so quickly, and it's so comfortable. The Buell is more 'I want to go scratching on the road and like the V twin grunt'.

The KR1S is "I've got half a day to kill so I'll try for a twenty minute thrash and spend the rest of the day working out why it doesn't work". It's about 50/50 between those two.

The CBR is pretty obvious. A cheap recent 600 Sportsbike that goes and handles and doesn't matter too much if I throw it down the track. It's not intimidating like a litre bike and fits me. It happens to be road legal ish (not quite there yet) and I plan to MOT it again soon. The previous owner just put black tape over the indicator switch, but once I have indicators wired up I'll take it for an MOT.

If I'm not sure what I want I usually end up taking the Street. It's better for commuting and that really.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

They all have one thing in common, they are all bikes reputed for their handling. In my mind that makes them all a little too similar

That's no bad thing. No point in having a decent engine if the rest of the bike isn't capable enough to let you use it.

Quote:
If I'm not sure what I want I usually end up taking the Street. It's better for commuting and that really.

I'm still trying to assess the Street Triple in my mind. It's quite a confusing bike in some ways. It does make a very good commuter; tractable, can be used lazily. But I found that its stronger alter-ego was about being a hooligan, and that's how it was most enjoyable.

My weird Montjuic hankering was part of the reason I tried a Street Triple, I think. In my mind, the Striple is the modern equivalent. But having now had the later bike, I think I'd probably be in for disappointment if I could afford the little Laverda. Still want one though Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm still trying to assess the Street Triple in my mind. It's quite a confusing bike in some ways. It does make a very good commuter; tractable, can be used lazily. But I found that its stronger alter-ego was about being a hooligan, and that's how it was most enjoyable.

I've not really heard that many people describe it as a hooligan bike, but if it turns out to be I do understand where you're coming from. Despite the MT-03 getting ripped on here (I probably ruined its reputation Smile), it only really worked when you rode it aggressively, after a tiring days work when you just wanted a nice calm ride home it was actually awful.

I also never really gelled with it again post stack, which sounds silly seeing as I rode it for 2 years afterwards, but that's part of the reason why I got the stripple (to see if it's me or the bike).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I've not really heard that many people describe it as a hooligan bike, but if it turns out to be I do understand where you're coming from. Despite the MT-03 getting ripped on here (I probably ruined its reputation Smile), it only really worked when you rode it aggressively, after a tiring days work when you just wanted a nice calm ride home it was actually awful.

Oh, I have, and they're right. It does need a nice noisy set of pipes to really make it feel that way though. I mentioned it elsewhere, but when I first got my Striple, I found myself riding it like I often do the Fazer, because it would pull smoothly from low revs in high gear. I wasn't terribly impressed, except that I thought it did make a good everyday bike. It wasn't until I'd got used to the feel a bit and started to give it some beans that I realised I'd been missing its best side. Trouble was, I then couldn't ride it any other way Laughing

Quote:
I also never really gelled with it again post stack, which sounds silly seeing as I rode it for 2 years afterwards, but that's part of the reason why I got the stripple (to see if it's me or the bike).

This happened to me after I stacked my FZ750. There wasn't anything wrong with it after that crash - it only sustained cosmetic damage - and it continued to perform just as well as before. But I just kind of went off it. Strange, because other bikes I've crashed haven't been like that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Oh, I have, and they're right. It does need a nice noisy set of pipes to really make it feel that way though. I mentioned it elsewhere, but when I first got my Striple, I found myself riding it like I often do the Fazer, because it would pull smoothly from low revs in high gear. I wasn't terribly impressed, except that I thought it did make a good everyday bike. It wasn't until I'd got used to the feel a bit and started to give it some beans that I realised I'd been missing its best side. Trouble was, I then couldn't ride it any other way Laughing

It's not a hooligan bike in the way my old flat barred downgeared XB12R was, that's for sure. It's much smoother, and doesn't quite have the lazy eyed psycho thing going for it.

What the Street Triple is good at is being what you want it to be. Mine does have the Arrow full system (7kg saving) and has been remapped by Tony Scott of T3 racing. It's also had the suspension played with to suit me. You can ride it gently (for example when I follow the GF on her 12bhp 125) and you can pootle over to the shops. If you're feeling aggressive, you can rag it, and it just seems to reply with "Is that all you've got? I can take it!".

You can also go on a mission with it, IE "I'm late for work, and so I'm going to crack on". When you do this, it's really in it's element.

I don't think the standard Striple is as good, certainly not for me. When I rode one I felt like it wouldn't turn and the forks were rock solid. Mine is much more compliant and turns on a dime.

M.C wrote:

I think this is quite common, I had to sell my 'Blade after I crashed it, and after I broke my wrist on my XB12S I couldn't get into riding properly for a couple of years afterwards.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't think the standard Striple is as good, certainly not for me. When I rode one I felt like it wouldn't turn and the forks were rock solid. Mine is much more compliant and turns on a dime.

Are the differences adjustable suspension and better brakes?

Quote:
I think this is quite common, I had to sell my 'Blade after I crashed it, and after I broke my wrist on my XB12S I couldn't get into riding properly for a couple of years afterwards.

That's good to know, I thought I was just being a pansy.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

No, I'm now back down to one.

The question is;
Are you two inadequate or are the rest of us just trying to cover up our inadequacies?... Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a hooligan in the way that my old RG500 was, for instance, which grumbled and complained when below the power band, then tried to rip your arms out of their sockets when you wound it on. I think what I mean is, it brought out the hooligan in me.

I didn't do anything to sort out the suspension, which was harsh (mine was the R version), but I felt it kind of suited it, although it did get thrown about a bit on bumpy roads.

Mine had a PCV fitted (which I thought wasn't necessary on the earlier versions, as I was under the impression there were various map settings available for free from Triumph) and ran smoothly throughout the rev range. But it certainly did respond well to a good neck-wringing!

To keep vaguely on topic ( Razz ), it was also like the Fazer in that it would make a good candidate if you could only have one bike, as long as you're not into lots of long distance tours or need to do a lot of motorway trips.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

The question is;
Are you two inadequate or are the rest of us just trying to cover up our inadequacies?... Laughing

It's my bank account that's inadequate Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:51 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's my bank account that's inadequate Sad

Garage space for me. Sad

I bet I could get a Grom in though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5