Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

where are the cheap dealers in Manchester

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: where are the cheap dealers in Manchester Reply with quote

When I was looking to replace the Vara I found a few large dealers with cheap bikes in, usually in old industrial units / mills but now I'm possibly facing replacing the ZZR I can't find any of them.

they all used to advertise on autotrader

where should I be looking north of manchester to pick up a mid-size bike for under £2k?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with ebay?

My ebay purchases:-
zxr400 - £900 - Wolverhampton
cbr600f - £900 - Wirral
zx6r - £700 - Birmingham

All have been spot on, not a single problem.

Get the train to the location, ride the bike back.

If you are determined to visit a bike shop, check Blacks Bike Shop in Burscough Industrial Estate
https://www.facebook.com/Blacks-BikeShop-Bike-Breakers-1637503609829368/

Addition.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-ZZR600-Sports-Tourer-/292120575105

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-zx-6r-Ninja-black-red-/322519953934

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZZR600-E7-599cc-2000-model-low-miles-and-good-condition-/292118576672

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking to trade in against something a bit lighter and lest stress on the wrists before my bike hits the age old Kwak gearbox issue so looking at dealers as off-loading my bike would involve it being sat uninsured in the garden declared SORN

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:38 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbike factory is one i know off the top of my head,Don't think they have the best reputation though.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
looking to trade in against something a bit lighter and lest stress on the wrists before my bike hits the age old Kwak gearbox issue so looking at dealers as off-loading my bike would involve it being sat uninsured in the garden declared SORN

This will get you a pittance.

Just price it realistically (look on ebay for sold prices) and it will sell.

Similarly look on ebay. Most of the warehouses moved to ebay. GB motorcycles in Darwen moved to ebay.

A lot of them have closed down in recent years tbh.

But Cansa is right. You have to travel far to get a good deal.

1999 CBR600F4 (£1550) 1 was bought in Darwen from GB motorbikers. It had some minor indicator damage.
2005 CBR600F4i (£1800) required a trek to Lockerbie. It was perfect except for a knackered coil so it was a 3 cylinder bike for a while.
2002 CBR600F4i (£1400) was bought in Birmingham
2003 CBR600F4i (£1800) was bought in Ayr (that was quite a trip) it was fine except for a crack in the fairing where a bolt had been over tightened.
1999 Fazer 600 (£600) it was fine but high miles.
2000 Fazer 600 (£720) again fine but the downpipe collars had been over tightened.
2001 SV650 (£800) I had to travel to Lea Green for this. It took 6 hours on the train Sad it turned out to be a Cat B bike Surprised
2005 FJR1300AS (£2100) was bought in Elgin Scotland. That was quite a schlep. I took a combination of coaches and trains to get it. I rode it down. I then found the seat was way to wide. It was absolutely perfect condition though. I sold it on for £3000 a couple days later.

2002 CBR600F4i (£1500) was bought in Matlock.

You have to travel to get a good deal. Part of the reason bikes I get are fairly cheap is that they're not in easily accessible places.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

You have to travel to get a good deal. Part of the reason bikes I get are fairly cheap is that they're not in easily accessible places.

China? Thinking

Nah, that's Mr Yeti.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

What's your mileage? Mine is about to step through the 60k mile doorway and shows no signs of gearbox issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

What's your mileage? Mine is about to step through the 60k mile doorway and shows no signs of gearbox issues?

Actual millage is 60, did a few months without a speedo cable as sender unit died and replacement never turned up so it shows about 58

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Actual millage is 60, did a few months without a speedo cable as sender unit died and replacement never turned up so it shows about 58

Snap Smile

Does it have any sign of 2nd gear issue? Has it ever jumped out?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't 'jump' out so much as slip out

always either just before, on the roundabout or exiting the roundabout exiting work, just after the temp gauge has reached the scale and I've got the choke fully off.

the revs gently rise and the bike slows slightly as though you've gently pulled the clutch

pop it back into gear and it doesn't do it again on that trip, or the next day. I had wondered if this was just me being a bit useless and the following day thinking "make sure it shifts properly"

I get the impression that the jumping out is a bit more violent

it does turn out that the issue started after putting "10/40w gear oil" in to top up instead of 10/40w engine - that's the last time I send the wife to Halfords and trust they'll give her the correct item!

I've changed the oil and filter today so we'll see if that was the issue or not.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap and dealers in the same sentence does not compute.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycle-dealers/somanybikes-com-oldham-dpp-134279

I've been in, no hard sell tactics. They do have an area set aside for auction bikes, but I think they'd rather steer you to buying from the main sales area.

Plenty of stock. It's a dealer with overheads so don't expect a fire sale.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Cheap and dealers in the same sentence does not compute.

They're not really dealers as you imagine them to be though.

There are no new bikes. There often isn't even a place to buy biking gear either.

Such bike shops were just a warehouse unit. A sign outside and a guy sitting inside.

Bikes were of variable quality but sometimes you'd find a good one.

Take for instance this even his website isn't very good. No test rides except in the warehouse he is in. No delivery facilities. No workshop facilities and bikes are described with hand written descriptions and tape. I found a couple great bikes there.

https://www.gbmotorcycles.co.uk/BIKES%20FOR%20SALE%20PAGE%201.htm
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Thats the bugger!

Rode my first ZZR600 round the mill there, nearly bought a deauville but someone beat me to it, trying to ride it out of there on one cylinder

Didn't get the ZZR as with a new licence it was hard work getting a quote for a cat D
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1