Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BBC threatens to tell on you

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: BBC threatens to tell on you Reply with quote

BBC appear to be threatening to report you to your boss if it doesn't like what you post on its site:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8l8op9vqczcgra/big-black-cock.jpg?raw=1

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/bbc_privacy_and_cookies_policy_v2_0_may2017_english.pdf?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=service&ns_campaign=SER_PrivacyPolicy_ip3&ns_linkname=___termsconditions&ns_fee=0

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cos they're famous for stamping down on iffy behaviour at BBC Towers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:48 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the problem here is what?

You put content out in the public domain, it's your responsability to ensure it's appropriate and legal.

If you wouldn't want your boss/parents/the police to see it. Don't post it. You're not anonymous on the internet.

Had a classic example of that with a guy who posted a negative (and nasty troll-type) review on my brothers business facebook site when he'd never used them. Brother contacted facebook, obtained the IP, contacted the ISP, got the guys name and address and hand delivered a solicitors letter threatening lible action if the content wasn't taken down forthwith.

Super effective, guy blubbed on the doorstep, went and took it down there and then and and begged them not to tell his employer or the police because he has to do enhanced crimiunal record checks for working with vulnerable childern and adults.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:08 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Brother contacted facebook, obtained the IP, contacted the ISP, got the guys name and address

They handed them over voluntarily without police involvement? DPA wasn't an issue?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You put content out in the public domain, it's your responsability to ensure it's appropriate and legal.

And now you've made me agree with mpd72 Laughing

stinkwheel wrote:
to ensure it's appropriate

By which standards? Some unknown ones that the BBC have, that may change at any time? No recourse? No defence? Our word is final?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They handed them over voluntarily without police involvement? DPA wasn't an issue?

Was handled through their solicitor. Presumably they have some legal pathway to obtain such details in the case of a potential civil lible case. I'm sure the police weren't involved. I'm also fairly sure a small amount of money changed hands.

Presumably in the same way I could find out your name and address based on your car registration on payment of a cash sum if I had a good enough reason (or even a poorly justified lie) as to why I needed it.

Don't know the details, just hypothesising but wouldn't electronic data about content posted directly on their facebook page actually come under DPA as data held regarding their company? Just like Korn has IP details on everyone who posts on this site.

ScaredyCat wrote:

By which standards? Some unknown ones that the BBC have, that may change at any time? No recourse? No defence? Our word is final?

Well, I presume they would draw the content to the attention of your employer/ISP/police and leave it up to them to decide if you had breached your contract of employment/usage policy/legal boundries.

Mark_F
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

There is no call whatsoever for any such organisation to get in touch with a persons employer/school/whatever based on anything said or done on the internet. The only place the BBC should refer anything to is the police or other relevant authority, then they can further refer as necessary.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

ScaredyCat wrote:

Well, I presume they would draw the content to the attention of your employer/ISP/police and leave it up to them to decide if you had breached your contract of employment/usage policy/legal boundries.

You still haven't answered the question of by which standards. They are going to report you because you disagreed with the BBC? If you are going to take this sort of action then you need to display quite clearly what's not acceptable, not use some woolly description. Of course it's an excellent way of not having to bother engaging with your readers/viewers.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
They are going to report you because you disagreed with the BBC?

Where do they say they might do that?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Which standards? It's up to your employer to decide if your conduct as an employee is bringing the company into disrepute.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
They are going to report you because you disagreed with the BBC?

Where do they say they might do that?

"objectionable content", "disruptive behaviour"....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
"objectionable content", "disruptive behaviour"....

And where do they say that they'll "report you" to third parties because of that?

Can I suggest that you read their policy again carefully, and distinguish between the circumstances under which the BBC will use your data, versus when they might hand it to third parties.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering, what does "the BBC may use personal information to stop such behaviour." mean?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I'm wondering, what does "the BBC may use personal information to stop such behaviour." mean?

Feel free to ask them.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/bbc

Be warned, they love to knock FOIs back under the "journalism" get-out.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
BBC appear to be threatening to report you to your boss if it doesn't like what you post on its site
Mark_F wrote:
There is no call whatsoever for any such organisation to get in touch with a persons employer/school/whatever based on anything said or done on the internet. The only place the BBC should refer anything to is the police or other relevant authority, then they can further refer as necessary.
Depends on the how/what questionable content is put on the internet - if you're posting said material from a school/work computer, over their network, I'd be expecting employers etc to be informed in some cases; particularly some organsiations. I don't thinks its a surprising statement to have on many websites like the BBC's personally - its just stating its a possibility.

Ultimately, if it was sent via their hardware, over their network, if you've not done anything deemed wrong by your own organisations policies it shouldn't matter whether the BBC or anyone else contacts them in most cases.

Of course if they were talking about reporting random things that you've done from your own personal computer at home to employers etc without police involvement, thats another matter, but I imagine its simply to cover themselves in the previous scenario.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1