Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dodgy caliper dust seal, wut do? (Kawasaki ZR-7S 2004)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Seals do not get like that from normal use. You said you sprayed calliper, possibly with carb cleaner rather than brake? that will eat and swell the rubber.

Nope, don't own carb cleaner.

Cleaned it in Feb and covered x amount of miles since without issue. Removed caliper for what should have been another regular basic brake clean and found what's pictured in the first post and all has developed in this thread. Haven't removed caliper between Feb and now. Cleaned front, both calipers, in same way and both are fine. Seal was found in the condition pictured after being removed from disc.

No idea what's caused it to occur. Don't believe I, or my mechanical workings, to be the cause and therefore more focused on waiting for parts and pretending to know what I'm doing. Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some help please.

One piston is out and the other isn't, the bad one. Dust seals out but fluid seal is holding it in place. Over pumped the OK piston and wobbled loose and realised what had happened, no biggie.

Pop down the local bike shop and ask them to get it out or is there a DIY method. Tried putting cloth around piston and pulling but no luck.

https://s12.postimg.org/5ru51gjfh/image.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Need some help please.

One piston is out and the other isn't, the bad one. Dust seals out but fluid seal is holding it in place. Over pumped the OK piston and wobbled loose and realised what had happened, no biggie.

Pop down the local bike shop and ask them to get it out or is there a DIY method. Tried putting cloth around piston and pulling but no luck.

https://s12.postimg.org/5ru51gjfh/image.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Scooter-Brake-Piston-Wind-Back-Removal-Garage-Tool-Set-/141337063351?hash=item20e8586fb7:g:Zb0AAOSwv1RUZ5Dx

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

or these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-30838-Motorcycle-Piston/dp/B00487UO1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495637520&sr=8-1&keywords=piston+removal+tool

i have used these a few times to get stubborn pistons out. yours looks like its out a decent amount and 'shouldn't' need much more effect.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just put the piston back in and pump them out again properly?

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:20 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

You'd have to bleed it first but that would work.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:20 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
or these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-30838-Motorcycle-Piston/dp/B00487UO1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495637520&sr=8-1&keywords=piston+removal+tool

i have used these a few times to get stubborn pistons out. yours looks like its out a decent amount and 'shouldn't' need much more effect.

They are SHIT.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
or these:

They are SHIT.

in your opinion maybe.. i have used these to great effect on more than 2 occasions and it helped twist the piston round to remove it. this was before i learned to just pump the pistons out at the same time mind

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

I could but I'm a large way through the disassembly. To do that would mean rebuilding half the caliper I've got out, putting it back together, bleeding the brakes to get a functional pedal (since there's loads of air in the system) and then doing it all over again.

I did have the pistons level but while the dust seal was done for on the left one (the whole reason for this re-build) it seems the fluid seal on the right one was even worse and eventually it gave way while pissing fluid all over the place and then the piston wobbled and I was like "well that's probably that done for then."

I've done it all a bit backwards as well. Had the caliper in my hand and the pistons pumped out and when I went to undo the banjo I realised I hadn't cracked it so spent a while attempting that before I realised it was a pointless task and just took the other end of instead so the entire line is off the bike. Either someone hasn't touched the brake lines in forever or they over torqued them because I had to use a 3/8 ratchet and correct size socket to get it un-done and when it loosened it did so with such a crack I thought I'd fekked something up. I think it's fair to say of my time spent with the bike the calipers have largely looked after themselves (in the past). I couldn't even see the copper washers on the bike until I realised they where covered in crud from nintey fifty nine.

Fekked dust seal when it came out:

https://s3.postimg.org/9qffl706b/piston1.jpg

Fekked fluid seal on the other caliper (with it's arse half hanging out):

https://s29.postimg.org/pqxfju42v/piston2.jpg

pompousporcupine wrote:
yours looks like its out a decent amount and 'shouldn't' need much more effect.

Agree, think it's just being stubborn. Fluid seal isn't that far away from the edge but for all my genius methods I've tired they haven't worked, or with little movement.

Going to give it up for today and visit local D.I.Y stores tomorrow to see if I can get my hands on a version of either of the above.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is half the caliper? Doesn't take long to pop the piston back in and re-bleed it...

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a cut up bit of bicycle inner tube or similar rather than a towel. It'll give more grip and more protection.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't have a rusty bicycle to steel an inner tube from, typical.

Might try and cut some of that protective crap of the trampoline pole's that serves no purpose. See what it's made out of when I can be bothered to venture beyond my room tomorrow.

Aye, didn't help trying to undo the Banjo bolt after the fluid had leaked everywhere. Slippy as awt. Why I ended up un-doing the other end that attaches to the bike because saved god only knows how long. I was on a good run of about an hour or thereabouts before the piston stopped me in my tracks. Turned into an afternoon of adventure.

Not sure if this ever would have worked but tried using half the bleed pipe attached to the nipple and the other end to my track pump with my finger over the hole inside the where the piston that's out should be and with 20psi I didn't get anywhere, I assume you need both in for that to work. Genius moment I thought, if it would have done what I wanted it to.

Order of the day, tomorrow: (1) try rubber thingy (2) visit local D.I.Y shops and see what's what (3) try putting piston back in and getting the other one out (4) order tool from the internet.

I phoned the local shop and he was like "we're too busy," I don't think he listened to me since he asked what bike it was despite my attempt to tell him I had the caliper in my hand. No wonder I've always disliked the place, potato heads lot of em.

My day dreams of how one day I'll be looking back at this episode once it's all over and wonder why I didn't try the solution first will soon come to an end, oh the mechanical woes I need a lye down <dramatic>.

S'been good fun and I've learned a thing or two at least. Better to crack on tomorrow with a fresh mind though.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL:DR - DONE IT M8.

Deleted post because spanner question, I figured it out. NTS: Rear resivour cap should not look like this and instead should look like this. I'm confusing myself trying to correct myself. Whatever, it's in. I did open the resivour cap again though afterwards just to put the rubber thing back in, pedal felt good still.. probably die next time out.

Head feels funny after all that sun plus sniffing fluids and lubes so leave the test ride until tomorrow.

Anyway since you're half a story behind I got the piston out by phoning up the shop I always use and asked them to have a look, they said they'll sneak me in and when I turned up he come back within a couple of minutes with the piston out. Said he used one of them tools that chris-red linked (LULZ, that link's been edited to £237.00). Was faster to go there than order a set because of cost and delivery date, I'd still be waiting. I popped a fiver in the charity tin and had a chat and went on my way.

Woke up early today and made a few spanner mistakes, the major one being:

https://s13.postimg.org/x1ua1d99j/image.jpg

Turns out brake fluid strips paint, forgot, lulz. I'll ask about repainting it at a latter date if I ever get that bothered. Adds character I reckon.

Anyway back tracking, tubs be handing for a seal and piston lube bath:

https://s30.postimg.org/m0k5x8te9/image.jpg

One clean caliper ready to go back in (probably make some people nervous that there's dirt around but it all do):

https://s30.postimg.org/sr1abr8rl/image.jpg

As for the cause, dunno, could of just been a shagged seal, think this was before put pistons in:

(The barrel, left, has a few scratches and the piston could probably do with replacing at some point but clean as fudge for the most part)

https://s16.postimg.org/aexuxrm9h/image.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/64l10p5qh/image.jpg

In other news: water and brake fluid make for a lovely decoration (thank fudge for the sun getting rid of it all before I got moaned at):

https://s7.postimg.org/xhyjekn23/PA4.jpg

.. And that's about it.

Ordered 500g of red rubber grease and found out I've probably now got enough to open my own shop after I used about 0.0001% of the tub. Soon depleted my brake cleaner and other fluids, excellent.

Cheers all Thumbs Up (e sayz before test riding).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2