Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Furion Motorcycles (hybrid concept)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Furion Motorcycles (hybrid concept) Reply with quote

Here's something that caught my attention today.

French manufacturer Furion Motorcycles reveald their concept of a hybrid motorcycle. It's a 2 x 327ccm Wankel making 125hp @ 9,000rpm combined with a electric motor adding 55hp and 105Nm @ 6,000rpm. The electric motor is there to boost the torque at the low range revs of the Wankel engine. Combined, the 205kg (wet) motorcycle makes 180hp and 205Nm which sounds very promissing, especially the torque figure.

It might be ugly, but it sure is an interesting idea.

Source of info and pictures (NOT in English): https://www.motorkari.cz/clanky/moto-novinky/furion-koncept-superbiku-s-hybridnim-pohonem-36628.html

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-05/36628/furion-hybrid-wankel-rotary-motorcycle-9.jpg

https://www.motorkari.cz/upload/images/clanky/2017-05/36628/furion-hybrid-wankel-rotary-motorcycle-6.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Furion Motorcycles (hybrid concept) Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

might, MIGHT Sick

Can't they make/mock up pretty concept bikes anymore?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taste is a subjective thing. I's not awful, but it's not a 916 either.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that as, "motorkarzi".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I only said it was ugly, as several times before I posted the NEWS about an motorcycle, the British members of this forum always said it was ugly.

You, tea drinking lads, just don't like new flashy things, I suppose.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I read that as, "motorkarzi".

The closes you can get would be ''motor-curry''

To say this word in Czech properly, you would need to know how to pronounce the letter ''R'' with caron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caron

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess when your prototype is CGI, you can imagine any figures that you like.

"Manufacturer" might be a bit of a stretch.

Will it come with a free Rainpal?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=karzi
Flippant, I know.
Is that a realistic weight for a bike with a 125hp IC engine plus an electric motor with 5 batteries in that titchy tail?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Feck me, I could barely learn English, do I have to learn Hindi now too? Pale

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a waste of time!

I'm all for hybrid technology as something to explore, particularly in a sports bike performance enhancing way. But a wankel engine like a two stroke is a dead duck and is a pretty poor inefficient use of fuel, as well as as being performance and emissions limited too.

It'd be interesting to see how regular four stroke engines in bikes develop as and when they get closed down by emissions regs. I don't think GDI will be workable on many performance bike engines, so maybe hybrid and EV tech will come sooner for production bikes?

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I find this "concept" quite interesting having always been a fan of Wankel's.
2stroke a dead duck? Try telling that to Maico & the snowmobilers Wink
2t injection technology is available, improving all the time & I hope it becomes more common.
With less emissions etc, there plenty of patents already registered for such engines, just maybe it will make it onto road sports bikes (after theyve cracked the tt or summit)

1st road bike that's produced with 700cc of 2t with injection & meeting emissions, I'll be in the queue to buy 1 (if its not silly money)
Cos am never gonna get round to putting a 700cc 2t engine into a 125cc bike frame.....for a while.

cheers,
GAZ

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that sideways and downwards angled exhaust not burn the feet of any peds or bikers next to you? Thinking
Seems inconsiderate, ohh I get it, they're marketing the bike at Bodyguard.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I only said it was ugly, as several times before I posted the NEWS about an motorcycle, the British members of this forum always said it was ugly.

That electric thing with the "what the fuck were you tripping balls on?" headlights slapped on it was ugly. That was waaaay beyond subjective and firmly into hallucinogenics.

The only good tea is Yorkshire Tea, otherwise, it's coffee all the way.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

That electric thing with the "what the fuck were you tripping balls on?" headlights slapped on it was ugly. That was waaaay beyond subjective and firmly into hallucinogenics.

The only good tea is Yorkshire Tea, otherwise, it's coffee all the way.

1. That is ugly, very ugly. If that is modern motorcycle design, it can do one on my swively finger.

2. Coffee is for Americans with no taste and people who visit Costas and Starbucks are yuppies.

3. Yorkshire tea is for tea drinkers with a bit better taste than PG tips or Tetley drinkers (a bit, not a lot).

4. Liptons yellow label tea is a drink from heaven as drunk by Englishmen with impeccable colonial ancestry (me). Cool

Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi,
I find this "concept" quite interesting having always been a fan of Wankel's.
2stroke a dead duck? Try telling that to Maico & the snowmobilers Wink
2t injection technology is available, improving all the time & I hope it becomes more common.
With less emissions etc, there plenty of patents already registered for such engines, just maybe it will make it onto road sports bikes (after theyve cracked the tt or summit)

1st road bike that's produced with 700cc of 2t with injection & meeting emissions, I'll be in the queue to buy 1 (if its not silly money)
Cos am never gonna get round to putting a 700cc 2t engine
into a 125cc bike frame.....for a while.

My point being that GDI is not the saviour of the two stroke, and for that matter the four stroke petrol engine long term either. There's two many issues with getting direct fuel injection to work on a bike engine properly, and without adding say 30% more weight to the engine.

If you look at car engines that have gone DI, they are nearly all forced induction both for emissions and to get enough performance within the limitations of current fuel injection technology. They are limited by cylinder pressures, and lack of time in the compression stroke to about 6000-6500rpm maximum, and this is still too high for maximum efficiency and making it as fuel efficient as possible.

Two strokes in the mainstream are already a dead duck, and all GDI will do is give them a few more years and allow maybe 1-2stages of current> emissions regulations to be met.

Most of those snowmobile fancy engines are still battling to achieve good combustion in the time available and thus are limited to 7000-8000rpm max. No good for a 125cc bike engine if current KTM 125 power levels are to be maintained.

They still use a small amount of injected oil for top end lubrication, but until you totally remove crankcase compression you'll never get two strokes to be totally clean.

The Rotary engine while often very smooth and compact has all the worst traits of two and four stroke engines, and it's impossible to make them as clean or fuel efficient or as reliable as piston engines. I like two strokes as you know and the sound of a rotary engine, but I'm in 2017 not going to say they have a future or will ever be efficient or maximise the use of the fuel they burn.

You could go full out silly developing a two stroke engine to be cleaner and more efficient. Maybe you'd use sealed crankcases, or have exhaust valves that are pneumatic or hydraulically operated, so you could shut them much sooner on the upwards stroke and make some time for injecting fuel and mixing it properly without using ridiculous DI systems that are heavy and operate at silly pressures.

Once you've done all that your making a conventional four stroke look simple, and when you apply all the above to a four stroke, your probably still going to run cleaner and with more efficiency and engine longevity too.

In bike engine design before we go full electric or fuel cell, the last area to explore and develop fully is forced induction. The major bike manufacturers are looking ahead to maintain and increase performance within the next emissions legislation requirements, and I'm willing to bet all the big manufacturers will look at reducing speed, friction and using forced induction to achieve their targets. I can't see any bike manufacturers suddenly thinking (let's develop a new two stroke).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's goppinly ugly. I maintain the use of industrial scale and strength psychedelic's rather than any cohesive design.

Starbucks and Costa make shite coffee, as do most 'Muricans. Some nice, freshly ground Old Brown Java

Yorkshire tea is the bomb. I've not tried Liptons yellow, and given the overall descriptions of being a bit "delicate" (girly), It'll be wasted on me, I like proper builders tea that makes you need to bleach the cup to clean it out properly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
It's goppinly ugly. I maintain the use of industrial scale and strength psychedelic's rather than any cohesive design.

Starbucks and Costa make shite coffee, as do most 'Muricans. Some nice, freshly ground Old Brown Java

Yorkshire tea is the bomb. I've not tried Liptons yellow, and given the overall descriptions of being a bit "delicate" (girly), It'll be wasted on me, I like proper builders tea that makes you need to bleach the cup to clean it out properly.

Laughing Thumbs Up

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Hum here we go again
Thee is only one fuel that can conceivably allow our technologies to function without killing us or the planet. That, of course, is Hydrogen.
Before we start with the, 'takes more energy to produce than it returns' Let's look at the options.
The advances and efficiencies made in renewables is starting to tip the balance, hydro / wind / wave electricity generation would remove the downsides of electrolysis whilst generating hydrogen in low power demand periods. You could have clean burn engines for all.... but not 2 strokes I'm afraid.
The Holy Grail would be hydrogen on demand, a hydrogen generator under your bonnet.... a long way off I'm afraid.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I like proper builders tea that makes you need to bleach the cup to clean it out properly.

Pussy. The tea stains in the cup add to the flavour.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:26 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
fuel [...] Hydrogen[sic].

No, we should invest in lithium battery mines. Just dig them up, fully charged.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
jjdugen wrote:
fuel [...] Hydrogen[sic].

No, we should invest in lithium battery mines. Just dig them up, fully charged.

Reputedly enough lithium in the Bolivian Andes to provide batteries for 4 billion cars.
It seems South America is all set to get raped again.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Reputedly enough lithium in the Bolivian Andes to provide batteries for 4 billion cars.
It seems South America is all set to get raped again.

And they call it an eco friendly system Laughing

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the stance of a cat that has just rounded a corner and come face to face with its feline nemesis.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else spotted the Sterling engine on the autocad drawing? Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1