BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike 501...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 00:54 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: Bike 501... Reply with quote

Sorry for continuously going on about running-in the engine, but I have just finished going through the latest issue of "Bike" magazine, and one particular article caught my attention...

...it's on page 169, titled "riding tips: engine ettiquette" and is as follows:

Quote:
Running in
Forget all that nonsense about sticking to rev limits for a certain number of miles, just ride normally, allowing the engine to rev freely (but not redlining) and never let it labour. Go up and down the gears and up and down the revs. Don't sit on the motorway for hours hoping to speed up the process - it doesn't work.

What do people think?...also, back (again) to my ideas about running the bike on a stand/rollers: I have just spoken a friend of mine who happens to have a mechanical engineering background (and degree!), but not specific to cars or bikes though...but he has designed various diesel engines...anyway, he doesn't see why running the engine without a load should actually cause any damage, and even suggests that I should remove the chain if I'm worried about it flapping around!...but of course, this is only a personal opinion...

...another little snippet from the article:

Quote:
One last thing
Everyone does it, and no-one knows why: that last blip of the throttle before you turn the engine off. If you have a 1929 Scott Squirrel two-stroke it might help clear the plugs, but for the rest of us it has the unhappy consequence of dumping a large shot of neat fuel down the bores, washing the oil away. That means extra wear when you start up or corrosion if you leave it standing for too long. So don't do it.

hmm...serious stuff...don't have nightmares Very Happy

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1