BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best Motorcycle for commuting in wet weather

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:42 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest possible bike would be the best choice in this situation.

Reducing the duration of the journey, therefore reducing the risk of coming off and reducing the amount of time your miserable for.

That only leaves the one risk left, which is obviously coming off due to excessive speed. But we can just forget about that one.

So S1000RR, or R1, or GSXR 1000 (but not with that massive can)
Laughing Laughing
Chequered Flag Chequered Flag

jazzinspace
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:14 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You physically can't hydroplane a 125. Even if it was on totally slick tyres. They simply don't go fast enough.

You slid on a wet surface by exceeding the available grip of your tyres.

I think your right, just checked out what hydroplaning was and I didn't use the correct definition.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:00 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Does anyone have a list of all the bike with belts or shift Reply with quote

Drives.

I'd quite like to know this myself.
samuel1223 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a Transit here. Albeit a lowly Connect. Bollocks to getting wet. Or cold. Or chucking my bike down
the street while I slide to my sudden impact doom on a slippery wet road. I ride for fun, none of those are fun. Folded arms

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Another vote for a Transit here. Albeit a lowly Connect. Bollocks to getting wet. Or cold. Or chucking my bike down
the street while I slide to my sudden impact doom on a slippery wet road. I ride for fun, none of those are fun. Folded arms

A transit is considerably less fun than even a 125...

Well, maybe not this one...
https://youtu.be/ChTUMNyjUHE?t=2m15s

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but the sad thing's Transits are more 'fun' than a lot of cars Neutral

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Until you get to 65mph or thereabouts then it's bye bye tiddler enjoy the backdraft, dunno what the top speed of the new
van is yet, but it's done 80 with no issues, a speed that would make many 125 owners jizz their pants.
Even crap small girls cars are faster, my wifes recently departed fiat 500 1.2 which could manage a ton just about.
Staying with vans my last, a two tonne sprinter also did 100mph, limited to that really only by the gearbox. You want fun
try some twisties in an empty rwd swb van that's had a remap on a damp day. Evil or Very Mad I have a 125 too btw, it's fun in town
but shite on the open road like just about every other road legal 125. It's ok for nipping out for a local errand, but that's about it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:05 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You physically can't hydroplane a 125. Even if it was on totally slick tyres. They simply don't go fast enough.

You slid on a wet surface by exceeding the available grip of your tyres.

I must have imagined just how much I crapped myself when my car didn't aquaplane with the whole family in it at about 55...

And yes I know the difference between understeer and a car going straight on.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just replaced our VW Caddy fleet with Transit Couriers. That are restricted to 65mph. These are no fun.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Until you get to 65mph or thereabouts...

I'd still rather be on a buzzy, slow 125 pinned wide open, in the pissing rain, than a buzzy, echoing, wallowing piece of shit.

People are different though, I actively dislike most 4 wheel vehicles out there, so I'm biased.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
We've just replaced our VW Caddy fleet with Transit Couriers. That are restricted to 65mph. These are no fun.

https://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/393/i-know-that-feel.jpg

They fitted our fleet with black boxes Crying or Very sad

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Best Motorcycle for commuting in wet weather Reply with quote

jazzinspace wrote:
Small wheel surface for hydroplaning

You mean aquaplaning and the tyre size is of minor relevance compared to the tyre tread.
A racing bicycle tyre is tiny and slick but a mountain bike tyre is much wider but deeply treaded.
Guess which one is better on a wet surface...

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

At least you'll get to ride on time.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:02 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Best Motorcycle for commuting in wet weather Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
jazzinspace wrote:
Small wheel surface for hydroplaning

You mean aquaplaning and the tyre size is of minor relevance compared to the tyre tread.
A racing bicycle tyre is tiny and slick but a mountain bike tyre is much wider but deeply treaded.
Guess which one is better on a wet surface...

And it will be a pure guess as the actual answer depends compounds of the tyres, the the tyre pressures you're running, how much weight is being supported, what the surface is...

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Best Motorcycle for commuting in wet weather Reply with quote

jazzinspace wrote:
my shit bike has already hydroplaned;
Any bike with any tyres on is capable of aquaplaning if you're going too fast through a large puddle. Buy the best bike for your needs, put good tyres on it and don't ride too fast in the rain. Seriously, I think one bad experience is affecting your choice too much. I'm on the tread limit on my rear tyre but have had no problems in the wet, you've just got to not cane it in the wet and be sensible.

There isn't a bike out there that is specifically designed to be better in the wet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the best bike for riding in wet weather would be one that's easy to clean and, similarly, one that I can apply the relevant corrosion-inhibiting unguents to without a major faff. For this reason, I personally would prefer something with no farings. I appreciate this might seem a bit odd - e.g. won't a faring serve to protect both bike and rider from the worst of the weather? Well, it will probably provide some measure of protection for the rider, definitely. But my worry is that plastics make it more difficult to monitor what's going on beneath them - particularly to exhaust header pipes and parts of the casings. For this reason I'd prefer a naked bike, where I can easily keep an eye on *all* the bike's fasteners and finish. Or, if I had to have a fared bike, I'd want a model that facilitated easy removal of panels - and perhaps also the addition of Dzus style fasteners, to make access even easier. I might also consider a belt or shaft final drive because rain and salt from winter roads can quickly shorten the life of a chain, in the absence of relatively fastidious care. Personally, I think I could live with cleaning and caring for a chain (at least if the bike was garaged - where such chores can be done in comparative comfort) - but I totally get why others couldn't.

I'd also probably want cast wheels, as it seems (mild steel) spokes can prove difficult to care for - I've had four bikes with spokes, none of which saw much in the way of rain, but which had pitted (and even slightly rusting spokes). I suppose re-lacing with stainless steel ones could help - but this will probably cost two hundred quid or more (?).

Similarly, I'd want a bike with as few nooks and crannies as possible - so probably not something with "retro" styling, where faux cooling fins, and other details, might prove difficult to get to.

Having said ALL that, it may well be that any bike is almost as good as another if owned by someone who's prepared to get busy with products like ACF50 on a semi-regular basis. Fared or naked probably won't make much difference to the bike itself, if corrosion-inhibitors are made good use of. It's just a matter of mustering the requisite levels of mechanical (and cosmetic!) sympathy. My own solution is to fuck riding in the rain if it can be avoided, and either take the car or scrounge a lift.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
M.C wrote:

At least you'll get to ride on time.

They do play you a little song, not quite that Smile You get a tune when going round a mini roundabout at 15mph Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2