Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How important is a fairing for a motorway commute

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bike to do a 60 mile round trip which will be mainly on the m25 then the north circular or m1. The alternative route involves the m25/ a13 then embankment which sounds like a bit of a traffic jam.

Anyway I was originally looking for a Suzuki gsx650f as it's got a good mix of fairing, economy and fun. The other bike I was looking at was a BMW st 800F however my friend keeps telling me to get a street triple. A good street triple is pushing my budget of around £3,500 but my main worry is how comfortable would this be on the motorway as I'm not really keen on naked bikes.

Is it worth the extra buffeting and less weather protection?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Only you can decide that. It's a compromise - a street is an infinitely better bike for fun and twisty stuff, but if that's only going to be 5% of your riding, is it worth putting up with not having a more relaxed ride home 5 times a week?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Oh and teflon mike I think I already now your answer so dont Reply with quote

Feel you need to spend half an hour venting your spleen

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brummie sock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is it's not going to be a gigantic difference between the bikini fairing of the BMW and the triple unless you travel at high speed.

For a big difference you need to be looking at the all enveloping fairings like ST1300s or FJR1300s.

I commuted Falmouth to Plymouth for months on naked bikes (XJ600, NTV, CB500). I required slightly bigger shirts after a while Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
The thing is it's not going to be a gigantic difference between the bikini fairing of the BMW and the triple unless you travel at high speed.

For a big difference you need to be looking at the all enveloping fairings like ST1300s or FJR1300s.

I commuted Falmouth to Plymouth for months on naked bikes (XJ600, NTV, CB500). I required slightly bigger shirts after a while Very Happy

Itchy are you clinging on a bit if your sitting at 80 or 90 on the motorway for any length of time. Not that I expect to get up to this speed all the time but I usually have a couple of early morning or late night journeys to or from the office.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Itchy are you clinging on a bit if your sitting at 80 or 90 on the motorway for any length of time. Not that I expect to get up to this speed all the time but I usually have a couple of early morning or late night journeys to or from the office.

It was fast twisty A roads. But then I did commute to Leeds everyday on the M62 for a bit. It's perfectly doable on any bike.

You may need new shirts though if you maintain it over a period of time.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:

It was fast twisty A roads. But then I did commute to Leeds everyday on the M62 for a bit. It's perfectly doable on any bike.

You may need new shirts though if you maintain it over a period of time.

New shirts??

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Hi there,

I'm looking for a bike to do a 60 mile round trip which will be mainly on the m25 then the north circular or m1. The alternative route involves the m25/ a13 then embankment which sounds like a bit of a traffic jam.

Anyway I was originally looking for a Suzuki gsx650f as it's got a good mix of fairing, economy and fun. The other bike I was looking at was a BMW st 800F however my friend keeps telling me to get a street triple. A good street triple is pushing my budget of around £3,500 but my main worry is how comfortable would this be on the motorway as I'm not really keen on naked bikes.

Where you going from and to? Your choices of route don't seem to be viable alternatives to each other.

Oh, and if you're going to bring a Street Triple into Central London, you better have somewhere secure to park it or figure a replacement into your budget because they are highly nickable.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
New shirts??

Yes new shirts as your neck will get a bit thicker from resisting the wind constantly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:48 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Anyway I was originally looking for a Suzuki gsx650f as it's got a good mix of fairing, economy and fun.

Perfectly reasonable choice.

Davemc37 wrote:
my friend keeps telling me to get a street triple.

Does your friend do a 60 mile motorway round trip every day?

Davemc37 wrote:
I'm not really keen on naked bikes.

Then don't get one. The GSX650F will be fine. I hereby bless your choice.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Quote:
a Suzuki gsx650f

Will Suzuki ever actually build a new engine?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a world of difference between a unfaired and faired bike on motorway inc dual carriageway .. if your doing 60 miles @ 80mph then a fairing is a must ...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
there is a world of difference between a unfaired and faired bike on motorway inc dual carriageway .. if your doing 60 miles @ 80mph then a fairing is a must ...

He won't be doing much 80mph riding though. 60 miles round trip = 30 miles each way. Route via Embankment means that at least half that 30 miles is going to be filtering on a commute no matter where he's coming in from.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:35 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my DAS on an XJ6n, and it was fine at normal town speeds, but even with an aftermarket screen I wasnt keen on it at 60mph, Too much wind, Obviously I didnt take it on a motorway.

When It came to buying a bike, I wasnt very confident after passing and so I wanted the same bike as I had been used to.

But I bought the XJ6 Diversion. and at 60mph as a direct comparison on the exact same roads at the same speeds, Its MUCH more comfortable.

Anyway, hope this helps you.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:25 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:
New shirts??

Yes new shirts as your neck will get a bit thicker from resisting the wind constantly.

Yep, not to mention the side to side wobble, and trying to get your head pointing forward again after checking behind you. OTOH sitting at an indicated 140mph (on the autobahn in Germany) on an FJR is best described as a light breeze Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:00 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How important is a fairing for a motorway commute Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Quote:
a Suzuki gsx650f

Will Suzuki ever actually build a new engine?

They're not making that one any more, or at least not selling it in the UK. Funnily enough, they withdrew it at about the time that Honda was introducing a detuned 650 with very similar specs.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Why? Yes a faring may make it a little more comfortable, but, 80mph unfaired is hardly uncomfortable. More noticeable the more inclement the weather though. As much as a fairing might be nice, a decent screen will probably be more beneficial.

Obviously, a fairing & a screen are probably you best combination. However, not all faired bikes are equal, depending on the design, the fairing may just channel all the rain onto your lower legs !!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you use a bike with a decent fairing for motorway work you quickly wonder why non-fairing bikes actually exist.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have the BMW personally, belt drive > chain drive.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Once you use a bike with a decent fairing for motorway work you quickly wonder why non-fairing bikes actually exist.

I have to agree.

I had a Stripple R. I loved it, really did but it's not a practical bike by any stretch of the imagination. Add in the ones before 2013 don't have immobilisers and the shit going on in London with thefts I wouldn't go near the capital on one.

A GSX650F will be fine as would a Fazer albeit with a half fairing.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Any other recommendations then. I'm in my mid 40s so I'm not looking for anything sportier than a gsx.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:19 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 108miles/day, 80 of which are motorway. I average around 2 days a week on the bike.

I currently ride an MT07. It can be done. However, if I was buying a bike specifically for this purpose and especially if I didn't have a car for shitty days as well, I'd want something fully faired, belt or shaft driven and with a non vibey >600cc engine. The BMW mentioned looks to fit the bill.

Reasons not to commute on a Triple: Motorways aren't fun anway, fuck lubing and adjusting chains (and cleaning chain fling), plus rain/windblast/cold is all more bearable with a fairing.

Just my thoughts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:27 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:
Ifuck lubing and adjusting chains (and cleaning chain fling)

Get a tutoro auto oiler, relatively cheap, when compared to say a Scotoiler, and as I put it on when new, not had to adjust, or do any extra lubing on the chain of either my CF650 or Mash.

But yeah, there are advantage to shaft, and I'm about to find out if there advantages to belt drive as well soon.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently commute 50 to 60 miles a day (sometimes use the car, but do ride in all weathers). 50 miles if I take the motorway, 60 if I take the A and B roads.
I use an older Speed Triple, 955i.
In the winter I use a heated jacket, gloves and goretex leathers. Motorway riding is boring, cold and generally no fun at all.
I really like the Triumph, but if I was buying a sensible bike for the commute I do right now, it would have a full fairing and better luggage options, and lower maintenance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2