Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Biker gifts' from friends and family

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: 'Biker gifts' from friends and family Reply with quote

A musing, nothing more;

Does anyone else receive naff 'biker gifts' for birthdays etc from relatives and wotnot? It seems that non-bikers think that any item of clothing with a Hardly Movinson or other such hormonesexual chopper types on is 'perfect cos he likes bikes'.

Case in point last Christmas an in-law gave me a T-shirt emblazoned with said chopper and obligatory full-on 'Murica flags and eagles.

Me: "Err...thanks, that's...er..ace."
Them: "Oh good because I thought it was perfect for you. You will wear it won't you?"
Me: "Of course!.....(In the garage)"

Gratitude notwithstanding of course but come on, do your homework at least. You know, maybe a Nobcat t-shirt eh?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:50 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is they google "motorcycle gifts" and from there you are in trouble Embarassed .

My family have moved away from the tat over the years and now tend to buy me cleaning products for my bikes and kit which is always welcome although i do currently own more muc off visor cleaner then im ever likely to need in my life time... enfact i probably have more of it than muc off at this point Laughing

One of my nephews gets me a small bike model every year which is nice but im running out of places to put them now.

Obviously i was pleased when my wife bought me an MT10 for my birthday last year Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Series 2 Landrover for my 18th birthday, and it's been downhill since then really.

Except my sister-in law, who just gifts me an ongoing subscription to Bike magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I got a Series 2 Landrover for my 18th birthday, and it's been downhill since then really.

Except my sister-in law, who just gifts me an ongoing subscription to Bike magazine.

I'd like a gift like that. It's something I'd never buy myself but if I had it I'd quite happily spend an evening reading through it. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last decade or so since divorce... no.... Both Uncle's bike, so they were a bit more clued up on what might be useful... Actually my Gran was quite well informed too! She used to make sure I got Damart Thermals every year Laughing

Actually, my auntie (Unc's wife) borrowed my one-piece race suit some decades ago, for a charity thing to do a lap in a racing side-car outfit... it probably had a name like "Chariots for Charity' or something! But she discovered, even though it had bee tailor made for me, it was a perfect fit for her... I am not entirely sure want to contemplate the implications of that one..... but, ever since, I have opened Christmas or birthday presents, to find gloves or long-johns Shocked and the comment as I look NOT been "I hope you like it" but, "It Should Fit, JJ tried it on in the shop to be sure" Shocked

Hold on, did I say they were a bit more clued up? I was thinking about other Unc, who I always remember when I pick up my favorite Snap-On screwdriver, he gave me.... B-u-t.... I have to offset that with the fact that two years after the 125 Learner-Laws came in, for my 15th Birthday, he gave me an RD250 'project' bike telling me I could fix it up for when I was 16.....

I didn't actually get to ask him about that for a decade; but when I did, I asked; "SURELY as it only came in 18 moths after YOU were 16, you knew 16 year olds couldn't ride 250's any more? More, 17 year old's had 'just' bee limited to 125's, and I wouldn't be able to ride it at 16 and barely at 17, and certainly not on L-Plates!?!"

"Yeah!" He replied... "but YOU didn't know that! And kept you out of trouble 'till you found out didn't it?" Laughing

Recently? Most usefully Snowie bought for jot birthday and christmas, the Shark Flip-Lid, after I had tried one on i the shop, and been impressed by everything but the price! Probably No1 'win' of the century that.

Otherwise, the Kids, lead by daughter, then about ten, bought me a Hi-Vis bib! Bless. They were very very exited they had found something motorbike related I DIDN'T have! More, I think, that they cold afford it! Having found it apparently in a rummage bin at a quid shop!

But yup, I HAVE had a rather exhaustive collection of American Eagle 'fake' Harley socks, coffee mugs and T-Shrt's from distant, mostly now thankfully 'ex' relatives, over the years. Oh, and a Wallace and Grommet, 'side-car' toothbrush and shaving brush holder?!?!? THAT was actually quite charming, in its own way!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have in the past but not for a while. Saying that mine was a singular item in the form of a Harley Davidson book. I did get Guy Martin's speed in HB and another book about the history of motorbikes in HB so two against one.

Now I just ask for vouchers for certain bike places or cash in hand. Got my full Halfords, non pro -cough-, spanner set and socket set in the sale through that money so is a welcome addition.

I'd say I've won more than I lost.

Problem is now anything bike related I need I can afford afford. It's not that I don't want others to buy things, or contribute towards them, it's just that it's my thing and at the point where I can't afford it I'll flog it on and crack on with whatever comes next.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone bought me a 'Four wheels moves the body, two wheels move the soul' tee shirt that I would never given house room to.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Someone bought me a 'Four wheels moves the body, two wheels move the soul' tee shirt that I would never given house room to.

T-Shirts are really quite good for chain cleaning, I'm still on my first one with a wardrobe of backups.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to bag some good gifts eg Bikers Britain tours book (Simon Weir) but in general I suggest sportsbikeshop vouchers or something like that. It's easy for them and you can get something you want or need.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I've managed to bag some good gifts eg Bikers Britain tours book (Simon Weir)

I got given one of those last Xmas. Three hours after having been given a copy by someone else Rolling Eyes

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a book on old British bikes, giving technical specs in the sort of detail only an aged man who lives in a shed wearing an ancient greasy boiler suit (or Tef) would appreciate? ("The 1954 Golden Star had a 5/16 inch brass widget collar to replace the troublesome 1/4 inch mild steel one on the 1953 model, though this continued to be used in the 250cc variant for another three years"). Given to Mrs Bamt, by work colleagues, because she rides a modern-ish cruiser occasionally on sunny days.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cheap skiing gloves, to keep my hands warm innit.
Rolling Eyes

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I instruct most of my family what kinda cheap biking stuff I want.
Each year I get plenty of thermals and sometimes some new biker gloves up to about £40.
I wouldn't generally wouldn't pay more than that myself anyway.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I'm asked what l would like for Christmas / birthday. Every year I ask for the same thing and every year I'm left disappointed.

How hard is it to remember DUCATI PANIGALE? 😉

Seriously though, my son has had bikes and he's got me some really worthwhile presents. The most useful was probably the Abba stand.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Each year I get plenty of thermals

Christ, aren't you warm enough yet? Shocked

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gift so crap I can't even bring myself to throw it away.

Move aside shit t-shirts, boring books and crap posters.

I Give you the "Tin Treasures Racing Motorcycle", complete with multiple razor sharp edges because we all love bleeding on Christmas Day.

https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/tinbike_zps2o7ud7tg.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: 'Biker gifts' from friends and family Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Case in point last Christmas an in-law gave me a T-shirt emblazoned with said chopper and obligatory full-on 'Murica flags and eagles.

I would wear the fuck out of that bad boy.

One of my daughters bought me some shiny skull w/ ruby eye dust caps - look awesome on my cb500.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 2 daughter bought me a chopper shaped pizza cutter on which the front wheel is the blade.
Never has and never will come out of its box.
What was she thinking?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've had a China mug covered in pictures of classic bikes (none of which I recognised), a pair of Kevlar jeans two sizes too big and lots of thermal socks. The socks are actually really comfortable.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I received a book........ " Superbikes of 1998" Eh? Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Good year for superbikes, it'll have the R1 in it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Good year for superbikes, it'll have the R1 in it.

The red and white one with the red seat Wub

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say I am pretty fortunate. My Mum usually asks if I need anything for the bike. Although I do have about 4 neckwarmers...

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle Cufflinks... For all that shirt wearing that i do. Rolling Eyes

But more recently it seems to be cleaning products, so cant really complain. Chuck in a few primark t-shirts with some obscure bike on.

Beats socks and Lynx Africa!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Bike and Car Guy I've had loads of crappy bike or car orientated stuff given to me in the last 30 odd years.
Even more crappy Birthday cards.
Along with the Harleys, I've never had any interest in a Morris Minors of any sort but I'd guess I've had 45 or so Bday cards with each of them on (especially the convertible)...
Loads of stuff like an small soft insulated sandwich box/carrier thing with a generic picture of a race car, which was available a week later at the nearest charity shop...
I have been given a few bits that were useful but only one I really use now. When I was given a 'Cold Killer' neck tube thing I smiled politely but didn't think I'd ever use it. However the next spring I'd agreed to meet up for a ride and it was freezing (but dry or I'd have skipped it), so the Ex mentioned I could finally use it, and I did, and now I do whenever the temp is in single figures...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2