Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dropped it :( DIY vs garage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zoo chick
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:26 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Dropped it :( DIY vs garage? Reply with quote

Hello! Does anyone have any advice on DIY repair vs garage? I dropped my scooter on a gravelly bend. I luckily flew right off into some grass, but my bike is pretty badly scratched (some photos attached - there is wayyy more).

I went to a Honda garage to assess it and it's mechanically fine, but they've quoted me a ridiculous £2k to restore it to it's original glory because so many parts are affected.

I don't want to go through insurance so I'm looking at replacing the really cracked/ damaged bits, trying to fix the rest myself (I love a good project but I've never done it myself before) and living with a few small imperfections. I'm not selling the bike anytime soon.

Is it DIYable?

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is your friend. Find the right panels and fit yourself. Job jobbed. £2k is ridiculous

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
and it's mechanically fine

Well then providing it rides straight and runs as it should ignore whatever scratches you've picked up and crack on with riding the thing.

wrote:
Is it DIYable?

Replacing panels by removing whatever holds them in place to replace them with a like for like one ordered from eBay, Wemoto, Fowlers or many other sources? Sure. Only the same way it was put together without the need to pay "totes offical Honda prices," of which most would just be labour costs and overheads.

I'd advise never walking into a Honda again. Go somewhere smaller and well reviewed locally to you. It's like entertaining taking my many year old Kwak to the closest dealer, it's suicide.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:41 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it, it's just cosmetic and you won't be doubly pissed off when it happens again.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Dropped it :( DIY vs garage? Reply with quote

Zoo chick wrote:
I'm looking at replacing the really cracked/ damaged bits, trying to fix the rest myself

None of those pictures show really cracked/damaged bits. They are just cosmetic touch ups. I would look on ebay for cheap replacements if you are really fussy about it and in the meantime have a play at touching the scratches up.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above I'd leave it, check breakers on eBay (also Gumtree) but they always want stupid money for what are normally damaged bits (inspect the photos carefully). If you find an individual selling bits (especially in auction format) they'll be a lot cheaper.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. All of my bikes have a few battle scars. That looks pretty minor, just cosmetic work. If you want to fix it then as others have suggested try breakers and ebay for panels. You can always rattle can them yourself. Personally I loathe painting so I pay a local guy to do mine for me properly. A full fairing respray (single metallic colour with decals) was under £200 and looks like new. Got all my plastics and tank done on a 125 for about £250.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:24 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a few scratches on a couple of bits of plastic so yes, you can DIY the replacements if you want but as everyone else has already said, just leave it cos spend £2k fixing a few scratches, you'll be even more pissed off when you drop it again.

On the off chance that we've all failed to notice something significant, what has the dealer said needs doing?

Zoo chick
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:00 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys!

Not sure why all of the pictures didn't upload. Here are a few more. I intentionally haven't included everything because most of it is barely noticeable.

There is a hefty list of bits the dealer gave me a quote for, including mirrors, pillion steps, floor, levers, and various nuts and screws, all of which I don't care about. I'm thinking I probably need to replace the cracked bits because they don't clip together properly anymore, and I want to give the scratches some attention so they don't rust. My key also bent 45 degrees, but it still works and I have a spare. I'm more concerned about it affecting longevity than it looking a bit scuffed. Also I don't want my parents to freak out and start worrying about my safety haha

I've tried looking online for parts, but I can't find any to match the colour. Reckon it's worth trying a local garage for replacement bits and pieces?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, don't use your bent key, get another cut and have as a spare so you have 2 good keys. Sods law says the bent key will break off in the lock.

With my marine engineers head on I'd drill the end of the cracks to stop them propagating and then fill/fibreglass and sand down followed by a touch up.

With my bikers head I'd try plastic welding or get someone who does plastic welding to fix it but I admit I don't know how much it costs to get done.

I'm sure someone will come along with figures.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
First thing, don't use your bent key, get another cut and have as a spare so you have 2 good keys. Sods law says the bent key will break off in the lock.

With my marine engineers head on I'd drill the end of the cracks to stop them propagating and then fill/fibreglass and sand down followed by a touch up.

With my bikers head I'd try plastic welding or get someone who does plastic welding to fix it but I admit I don't know how much it costs to get done.

I'm sure someone will come along with figures.

No idea on costs to get plastic welding done properly, but a cheap soldering iron + correctly coloured cable ties + a plastic bucket to practise on will run you less than £20.
It won't look great, but it will work.

Why would it rust though? All those scratches look like they are on plastic (not noted for its corrosion). Fill/weld the cracks to stop water getting in but ignore the others.

If you have crashed then convincing your parents you will be safe is a ship that has already sailed. Try convicncing them to get you good gear, that way they can feel they are helping, and you get some nice gear!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
correctly coloured cable ties

Shocked

Such extravagance is only going to break the bank!!

Razz

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:40 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the labour, lot of the big Honda cost will be the exhaust guard.

I tried to get one to replace a missing item on a Honda PS125, and found that they don't sell them separately, instead you have to replace the whole exhaust at over £350 parts only!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Falco wrote:
correctly coloured cable ties

Shocked

Such extravagance is only going to break the bank!!

Razz

Well, I wanted to make the option appealing to compete against new fairings.

For those of a less fancy persuasion, they can just use any cable ties handly (have done it, looks shit, mostly works)

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panels off, soldering iron to plastic weld the cracks from the back.
A little vinyl if it gets messy.
Sand down the scratches and get some 'sticker bomb' vinyl from flea bay and cover up. Job jobbed quickly and easily, cost about £20 !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1