Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Really struggling with the rear tyre right now :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Jontyrider This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the tyre in a vice to break the bead if you can't do it by standing on it.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:01 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to break the bead as it will be stuck to the rim, ive done mine in the past by putting the wheel against a wall then putting a car jack on the floor with a breeze block behind it then jacking the tyre into the wall untill the bead went.

Please excuse the drawing but its all i could do to help explain Laughing

I normally do it once per side of the wheel and the tyre comes off.

Last edited by craigT19 on 15:02 - 21 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:01 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a garden spade to break the bead down.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:02 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon we've all been there at some point... I used a large G clamp on the rear tyre once, borrowed from a neighbour. Did the trick, got the old tyre off, new one on, but was it really worth all the fekking around? No. Honestly m8, just take the wheel to a garage and watch in wonderment as that tyre is peeled off efortlessly and the new one goes on. We all like to take care of our bikes, but some jobs are just a pain in the arse... talking of which, here comes the wife... gotta go!
Jontyrider This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jontyrider wrote:
couldn't you just angle grind a circular split right in the middle all the way around parallel to the wheel and then both split sides off?

Give it a go and let us know if any of the following happens: the angle grinder grabs and flies out of your hands, the disc shatters and tries to kill you, the tyre catches fire.

Maybe none of the above, but using an angle grinder has to be the messiest way of removing a tyre.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking the bead is tough. I used a 6ft steel pole as a lever, with one end under a transit van and a piece of wood pushing down on the bead at the fulcrum.

It bent the pole a couple of times on the rear tyre.

Front was easy in comparison.

I like the jacking into a wall idea, and will be stealing it. Thumbs Up
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Motion Pro Bead Pro Tire Levers in between 2 G Clamps not just 1 about 30cm apart about work amazing for breaking the bead. It's getting the last bit off which is hard for me.
And I will be stealing the Zip Tie idea for putting on.

have you ever changed a motorcycle tyre?

Using an disc cutter is a silly idea. My luck would guarantee i cut into part of my wheel..your luck may be better.
For all the hassle i just take it to the tyre fitter man. keeps him in business and he can usually get tyres a decent bit cheaper than i. He will even fit a tyre i bring to him on a loose wheel.

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 14:38 - 22 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
For all the hassle i just take it to the tyre fitter man. keeps him in business and he can usually get tyres a decent bit cheaper than i. He will even fit a tyre i bring to him on a loose wheel.

Absolutely, I can never understand how people can value their free time so little that spend it dicking around with tyre fitting!

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 blocked of wood and a spade will have it done in seconds.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:08 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper-mtc100-manual-tyre-changer/

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:48 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Absolutely, I can never understand how people can value their free time so little that spend it dicking around with tyre fitting!

Some of us work the hours the tyre fitting places are open.
If I didn't fit my own, I'd lose a week or two's riding each time I needed one changed. Doing my own, I can order off the internet and be back on the bike 2 days later.

Break the bead with a spade, BTW Smile

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's breaking the bead that has got harder with modern tyres having very small sidewalls to attack.
Once it's popped into the middle you only need 2 or 3 tyre levers which are useful for other jobs too.

Very easy to scratch alloy wheels though, I always start with good intentions and rim protectors but eventually get to sod it stage.
Dicking around with over-sized cable ties was interesting but he still needed a lever to ease it off, it looked very time consuming and he had a special tool to break the bead.

With a bit of lube getting them on/off is not usually too difficult.
Just make sure the side opposite where you start is firmly held into the central well.

What do home fitters do about balancing?
Provided original weights are there I have never bothered Embarassed
Nothing bad happened...
When I've had them done at tyre shop he usually puts it on the rig and says seems about right anyway.
Surely it's the wheel needs balancing anyway the tyre ought to be the same weight all round. Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

For me, I'll waste best part of a morning riding to tyre change place, waiting for them to change the tyre, riding home.
I can do it myself in a couple of hours, at a time of my choosing and it costs less.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
What do home fitters do about balancing?
Provided original weights are there I have never bothered Embarassed
Nothing bad happened...
When I've had them done at tyre shop he usually puts it on the rig and says seems about right anyway.
Surely it's the wheel needs balancing anyway the tyre ought to be the same weight all round. Thinking

I use a static balancer on the front, and some airsoft BB's in the rear - I need an adapter to do the static balance on the rear as it's off a single sided swingarm and I haven't got around to making one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:12 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jontyrider wrote:
Also what does everyone thing about this following method? [Cable ties]

I tried it out of interest on my last change on the Nazi Tractor front, a narrow, fairly high profile tubeless 110/80-R19.

It was comically useless on that tyre, since my goal wasn't to combine the stiffness of both sidewalls together (fascism!) to absolutely ensure that they couldn't be wrestled over the rim.

Opinion: any tyre that's wide and soft enough for it to work will just slide on easily anyway.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
jonty that tool seems awesome- i might get it if you find out what it's called

It's just called a multi-cutter (or sometimes just a multi-tool), as far as I know ...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2