Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

anyone else got Goodyear EfficentGrip tyres on their car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: anyone else got Goodyear EfficentGrip tyres on their car? Reply with quote

Who else, if anyone, has Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres on their car? I've got them fitted to my 13 year old 1.8 Focus (Edge!) and I'm starting to think they're the best tyres I've ever bought. I've probably got a good 10k on them now, so have got the measure of 'em.

What I like about them - and what I was interested to see if anyone else has found - is that they seem to give a lot of "feedback", in that they start to slip but quickly dig in on under-steer and although they're quite obviously struggling, they never give the feeling they're going to give up. This is in the dry, at least. In the wet they're not quite so satisfying, but the feedback can still be felt quite easily - it's just that, when they start to go, I've found it's best to stop pushing it and let everything settle.

Anyway, just that really. If there are better tyres for a little bog standard sort of car like mine, I'd be interested to know. Btw I can't vouch for the longevity of these Goodyears yet but they seem reasonable. Have to say though that they're quite different again w/ even just two or so psi under book pressure - which iirc is about 32 on the Focus. Also, mine are a bit prone to losing pressure - whether that's an issue with my wheels, the tyre fitting, or the tyres themselves, I don't know.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyres + how old were those that you were using before? Old tyres get hard = noisy + less grip. Any fresh tyres will then feel like the best thing in the world.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:28 - 21 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on the celica.

Brilliant road tyres in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had them on the Fiat 500. Agree on most of the above. Excellent in the wet I found. But I was in a lighter and less powerful
car than OP so that may be why I found it harder to find their limits and was so happy with wet performance. Did a long UK
roadtrip starting in Bristol up into and around Scotland and it was a joy to drive.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some for my old Honda Civic and I'd agree, probably the best summer tyres ive used.

They have very soft sidewalks, so probably more liable to damage, but they are very quiet, grip well in wet and dry.

I'm collecting my new Audi A4 next week, I know once the tyres are worn - I'll be sticking some of these on. They aren't even as expensive as contis etc.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. The only Goodyear tyres I've ever used are Eagle F1's, and I was fairly impressed with their wet and dry grip, and feedback on a mid engined car.

On my current fwd'er I'll need tyres for it when it's back on the road, but I've no idea what to fit? I guess I need to know who makes tyres in the required sizes and work from there?

Im not after a pure track day tyre, and I want good predictable handling and summer grip.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tyre, progressive wet and dry with a surprising amount of grip available & give good ride quality. In-cabin noise is higher than my normal go-to tyre (Uniroyal Rain Sport 3), but quieter externally. They've got one little issue.- if you have a car that runs a lot of camber on the drive wheels they will wear very quickly on the inside shoulder.

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police force I work for has Goodyear Efficientgrips fitted to our vehicles. I've always found them to be very good indeed, they cope very well with everything we throw at them, in wet and dry weather.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:15 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never owned a car with them (I use eagle assymetrics) but I've driven on them and for a touring tyre theyre pretty good.

People get caught up in the wrong things with tyres and there are a million aspects you cant test.

As a for instance, hankook s1 evo K107 when they came out topped the boards for a budget performance tyre, beating many premium brands for grip, but they had a wide slip angle, so the car always felt like the balljoints were away when on the motorway. Effective but unpleasant.

The efficientgrips dont seem to suffer anywhere, they do exactly what theyre supposed to, which is grip a little less well and last a little longer than eagles.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just run the cheapest I can find on my fabia VRS, never feel like I'll come off the road, and I don't drive particularly slowly. I'm convinced it's a false economy buying these expensive tyres, especially for a commuter.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a pair for the family bus at the end of last year, which is notoriously heavy on front tyres

Reason I bought them was they seemed a good price for a well known branded tyre that also scored highly on the Euro labelling

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried them, But i have just a fitted a set of Goodyear Asymmetrics on my ST and they are terrible for grip (lots of understeer) compared to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's i had on previously.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the UK might be different, but what do you all do in your cars that you need tons of ''EXTRA'' grip? Also, modern cars are tuned to be understeering, as that is the ''safer'' option.

I have whatever tyres on my pimp mobile and even when I push my luck, I never feel like more grip would be necessary. I'm quite new to cars, to owning one at least, and when compared to motorcycles, there is so much grip that I don't understand the: ''I need more'' talk.

The cars you drive: 1.8 Focus, Fiat 500, Honda Civic... it's not like you drive supercars that would spin the wheels in the 4th gear, is it? Smile

On a different note, when the weather's shit, just slow down and be smooth, perhaps?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are suckers for marketing, they will happily pay twice the price for a minuscule increase in performance.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I know the UK might be different, but what do you all do in your cars that you need tons of ''EXTRA'' grip? Also, modern cars are tuned to be understeering, as that is the ''safer'' option.

I have whatever tyres on my pimp mobile and even when I push my luck, I never feel like more grip would be necessary. I'm quite new to cars, to owning one at least, and when compared to motorcycles, there is so much grip that I don't understand the: ''I need more'' talk.

The cars you drive: 1.8 Focus, Fiat 500, Honda Civic... it's not like you drive supercars that would spin the wheels in the 4th gear, is it? Smile

On a different note, when the weather's shit, just slow down and be smooth, perhaps?

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
People are suckers for marketing, they will happily pay twice the price for a minuscule increase in performance. but i take it in the ass, who wants a go.

lol...

I assume you buy cheap shit tyres for your bikes also? because if you don't then "what do you all do on your bikes that you need tons of ''EXTRA'' grip? Also, modern bikes blah blah blah fucking blah blah bullshit"

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam_ wrote:
lol...

I assume you buy cheap shit tyres for your bikes also? because if you don't then "what do you all do on your bikes that you need tons of ''EXTRA'' grip? Also, modern bikes blah blah blah fucking blah blah bullshit"

I buy shit tyres for my car because I'm not prepared to pay twice the price for a fractional increase in performance.

I buy good tyres for my bike because I notice a substantial difference and I don't commute with it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of, calm down Liam.

Secondly, I said modern cars, but let's move on.

I buy tyres, that are reasonable for the use. You don't buy extra soft track day tyres for a cg125 to do commuting on it, do you?

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:35 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Er... 310kw at 5800-6200 rpm & 620Nm at 1200-4500rpm Wink. My one slight criticism of the tyre?.. With a lot of neg camber on the drive wheels, -2.15 deg camber in my case, the inside shoulder wears very quickly. Laughing

For road use I don't need a tyre that delivers the ultimate grip, I need a tyre that is predicable and doesn't bite hard. For now I'll sick with the Rain Sport 3 as they're predicable, have good all round grip & last for about 15k miles v's 4k on the Efficient Grip.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Er... 310kw at 5800-6200 rpm & 620Nm at 1200-4500rpm Wink. My one slight criticism of the tyre?.. With a lot of neg camber on the drive wheels, -2.15 deg camber in my case, the inside shoulder wears very quickly. Laughing

Shocked What the...?!

#postpictures

But still, that was my point, buy the tyres that are reasonable for the use.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the last word in dry grip, as I've got a floppy T-bar roof and flexy body, so ultimate handling (not possible on the roads) is not important. Also they say you should not use too grippy tyres for the competence of the suspension and chassis set up.

But while I'd drive sometimes in the wet, I'll never commute or use this car when it's below freezing or generally at all over winter. I'd like something that would handle a few gentle laps of a track and still drive home afterwards too. Oh and I want a tyre that will do it's best to put 240ib/ft and 260 ish? Bhp down onto the road with ideally no torque steer, or scrabbling and also try to hold on in wet weather too.

Cost for the miles I do really isn't an issue.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£120 a tyre?

I'll stick with my Landsail thanks Thumbs Up Trololol

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
£120 a tyre?

No for an axle pair Laughing... that's £60 each.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
£120 a tyre?

No for an axle pair Laughing... that's £60 each.

Miss the white writing? Wink

I'm happy with my £40/corner Landsail. Thumbs Up

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had goodyear efficient grips on for a couple years, but be close to 12k on them and still got 3mm of tread on the fronts (never been swapped with the rears).

They have great ratings for wet grip, no complaints from me

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd had the cheapest tyres forever - then last year, feeling like I was just being tight, I said put the best tyres there are for this size. Wondered if I'd feel any difference. And definitely have. Worth it? Probably not. But I could tell straight away that the car handled a lot better. So I'll probably fit them again if I can afford.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2