BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZZR 1200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:43 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: ZZR 1200 Reply with quote

I've been offered a swap for one of my bikes in return I get to give him some cash and a 2001 52 plate ZZR 1200 with luggage racks and two boxes.
What do I need to know about this era ZZR's? And how much is one worth with 25k on it in OK nick but not mint.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd rather it than any of the Burgman, Thundercat or Hornet in your sig. Which one is it you are thinking of swapping?

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:02 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell which way money is going, " in return I get to give". I assume you are handing over money and a bike for a bike, how much money?

If you value your bike at A and the value of his bike according to eBay's sold listings is B, then A +C = B where C is the amount of money you are handing over/recieving onto of the bike.

Do the maths and see if you are up or down money, for instance, your bike is worth £100, his is worth £200, he wants your bike plus £50 cash, then that is a good deal, if he wants £150 cash then you are out money and it is a bad deal.

Make sure it is a bike you want too, if it is an average-good deal, dont get it because you end up saving ~100 quid, because if you don't like the bike there is no point.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factor in the extra cost of replacement undercrackers. You are going from light(ish) egg whisks to something that will pull your arms out of your shoulder joints on acceleration and then do the same when hauling it round bends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Known ZZR issues? Cam pitting. Other than that, they're pretty much bomb proof. Of course, unless you break the engine apart before you buy it, you'll never know what condition the lobes are in before you commit to it.

I had one for 2 years and many thousand touring miles, and it never let me down.

Sold it due to early stages of cam pitting though Laughing

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful suspension, sit back between 30 and 50 and the bars go into a slow wobble. Went to Kawasaki to get suspender settings and not only are they not very adjustable the kwak mech said ahh yes they all do that.

Great engine and a decent touring bike but I wouldn't have another.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
Hard to tell which way money is going, " in return I get to give". I assume you are handing over money and a bike for a bike, how much money?

I did notice that as well. Illiteracy is rife, grammar has been corrupted and Americans are bastardising the language Crying or Very sad

Still, if he's getting the 1200 and money, bite their hand off Laughing

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
mkjackary wrote:

I did notice that as well. Illiteracy is rife, grammar has been corrupted and Americans are bastardising the language Crying or Very sad

Still, if he's getting the 1200 and money, bite their hand off Laughing

I'd had a few when I wrote it he wants my bike plus some money for his ZZR.
He's coming back with a figure he'd like later this week.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it that your Thundercat isn't doing for you?

why does he want to get rid? They're very big bikes. A lot lower down than the 'cat but i don't think they're any more comfortable.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

why does he want to get rid? They're very big bikes. A lot lower down than the 'cat but i don't think they're any more comfortable.

It's my Burgman he wants!
He works in London and has had enough of the tube and walking. his ZZR is back up north at home not getting used at all. I'm not using the burgman as my commute is only a mile now (Burgman is in London). If I want a bike down here still, I'll fetch my hornet down keep the cat and ZZR at home.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matlow wrote:
Awful suspension, sit back between 30 and 50 and the bars go into a slow wobble.

Do people spend much time sat up with both hands off the bars? Is this a new riding fad that passed me by?

Anyway, fitting a steering damper would sort that.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

matlow wrote:
Awful suspension, sit back between 30 and 50 and the bars go into a slow wobble.

Never experienced that with mine, laden or unladen. Confused

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a zzr1200 and they do wobble if you release the bars but it's not aggressive in anyway, they also go into a little weave when cruising at 130+ with panniers and top box but again it's not aggressive. Suspension wise I fitted, fork brace, hagon fork springs and oil, nitron rear shock and hagon steering damper. Handled very well for its size and would go around corners pretty well if you needed to. Also fitted an Ivans jet kit which took some setting up but it did go well with it sorted. Toured a fair bit with it and it never missed a beat, also handled pretty good 2up. Because of its length and weight the acceleration is really good, not much bother with the front coming up so you can just nail it through the gears, you can keep up with most bikes, and make a lot of riders 2nd check you lol. Just a shame they have a look that only a mother could love!
Liked it but wouldn't have another, mainly due to the amount of money it took to get the last one sorted

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

It's my Burgman he wants!
He works in London and has had enough of the tube and walking. his ZZR is back up north at home not getting used at all. I'm not using the burgman as my commute is only a mile now (Burgman is in London). If I want a bike down here still, I'll fetch my hornet down keep the cat and ZZR at home.

The big zed is heavy on consumables and expensive on parts. If it is in soon need of tyres chain and sprockets then figure 4-5 hundred quid off the asking price. Your Burgervan is a very popular commuter bike so don't get sucked into the 'big bike - worth lots' trap. It's quite likely your bike is worth more or at least similar anyway.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to this is you haven't put me off I collect the ZZR next Saturday and handover the burgman and a bit of cash the following Monday.
If we add things together depreciation on my Burgman etc the ZZR will stand me at 2k on a 51 plate 2002 registered with full history 23k on the clock.
I bought the burgman to do a job and it did it perfectly for the year I needed it so bring on its replacement.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad deal. They seem to hold their price pretty well, probably because they still make a great long distance tourer.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
I had a zzr1200 and they do wobble if you release the bars but it's not aggressive in anyway, they also go into a little weave when cruising at 130+ with panniers and top box but again it's not aggressive. Suspension wise I fitted, fork brace, hagon fork springs and oil, nitron rear shock and hagon steering damper. Handled very well for its size and would go around corners pretty well if you needed to. Also fitted an Ivans jet kit which took some setting up but it did go well with it sorted. Toured a fair bit with it and it never missed a beat, also handled pretty good 2up. Because of its length and weight the acceleration is really good, not much bother with the front coming up so you can just nail it through the gears, you can keep up with most bikes, and make a lot of riders 2nd check you lol. Just a shame they have a look that only a mother could love!
Liked it but wouldn't have another, mainly due to the amount of money it took to get the last one sorted

That prize goes to the ZZR1400 not 1200

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:02 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Dave V4 wrote:

That prize goes to the ZZR1400 not 1200

It's a close call to be fair
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1