Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Debt consolidated - ccj

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Debt consolidated - ccj Reply with quote

I've posted this on a couple of debt advice forums but as yet no replies so sticking it out to the bcf armchair experts.

Tldr: 2 hsbc debts from 2009-2011 Where consolidated by themselves and sold on with a new account number. Being taken to court with new account number to obtain judgement/ccj. As I've not entered in to an agreement with the new account number do they have a case?

Long pasted version:

I've got a county court claim form through for a hsbc 'loan' from 2009.

Restons solicitors and arrow global are the claimants.

The account/accounts were defaulted early in 2011.

Last payment (made to a different collection agency) was early 2013.

Arrow bought the account in 2014.

Right, on the claim form the sort code matches up with a hsbc account I had. The account number does not.

I contacted restons and questioned the account number and all they had to say was that is the account number which was supplied to them and questioned (which felt like me making a statement) if I believed this account to not exist and if it was fraud. I answered that no I do not believe this account number is mine and I have not entered in to an agreement with this number.

I phoned arrow straight after and they confirmed the debt is for 2 desperate hsbc debt accounts (assuming a loan and overdraft although I am waiting for confirmation). The debt wad consolidated in to one and sold on.

Looking back through the little paperwork i have (most recent is 2013 as the rest have been filed in the bin) this new account number has not been mentioned. The agency the previous payments went to have client references but no hsbc account number. The client reference points to the oldest paperwork I have for a different collection agency where the original account number and sort code are stated.

Before I spotted the account number I did email restons asking for proof of the account via means of original signed agreement and proof of payments which was ignored. When I phoned them they said they have not go them but could.

So two questions - is the debt with this new account number in any way enforceable? I have not knowingly entered in to a new agreement after all.

What steps do I take and what do I respond with on the claim form?

Thumbs Up
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was the debt sold?

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0Al1 wrote:
Why was the debt sold?

Because I wasn't paying it.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 22:21 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Account numbers often won't match up, when debts are consolidated they often taken on account numbers of accounts that weren't technically in debt. So if you had a current account in overdraft and a credit card that was unpaid, they may be consolidated under the current account number even though technically there was no debt on that.

Original agreements will only be available from HSBC not the collections agency who bought the debt. Mismatching account numbers don't really matter because when it's passed to an agent they will often assign their own account number, there is a paper trail and electronic trail showing all account transfers, payments, historic account numbers and consolidations etc so you will not be able to prove that you have no connection to the account.

You should've really tried to bargain with HSBC before the debt was sold because they would likely have settled, an agency is less likely to as they have to recover the cost of 'buying' the debt, you can still have a go at offering a settlement, if you are not wanting to pay it off at all though you'll not really get out of it.

Used to deal with this a lot from the other end of the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this lot a call, they're brilliant about sorting out debt management, and genuinely free. https://www.payplan.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:16 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go looking for help on forums, this is something where you need decent advice.

Money advise service, national debtline, stepchange debt charity. They will be able to give you free, accurate advice - or tell you to seek proper legal advice if they don't know, or it's not clear cut.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Groove wrote:

Maybe don't borrow if you can't pay back the debt?

How's your sister? I ask this sincerely BTW, seeing as you're avoiding the politics board after your little strop last night.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I've filed a defence. If it doesn't get anywhere I've not lost anything at this stage. If I get somewhere then great, if I don't I'll just stump up the £3k and not get a ccj anyway.

And mpd72, sometimes life's a cunt and you get made redundant a year after taking a loan and having a baby. Id rather have fed the mouths of my family than anything else at that point in time. Now it looks to have caught up I'll pay up, but when I wrote to and phoned the claimants for information regarding this debt and them not being able to prove anything at that time I might as well take a chance with nothing to lose.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Debt consolidated - ccj Reply with quote

Groove wrote:

When was the last time you spoke or paid them prior to this last contact?

Quote:

What is statute barred debt?
Statute barred debt refers to a debt that’s not enforceable because the time a creditor has to chase payment has passed. This is outlined under the Limitation Act 1980.

The act is not a way for people to avoid paying debts. If your debt is not statute barred there’s no way to use the Limitations Act to avoid paying it. But non-enforceable debts are sometimes pursued by debt collection companies when they shouldn’t be, so it helps to know where you stand.

How long can a creditor chase a debt for?
Under the Limitation Act 1980 a creditor has six years to chase most unsecured unpaid debts, or twelve years for some mortgage shortfalls. This ‘limitation period’ starts from the time of your last payment or acknowledgement of the debt, not the total length of time you’ve been making payments. If a court judgment (CCJ) has been registered against you before the limitation period has passed it can be enforced at any point. There is no limitations period for a CCJ.

For Scottish debts the rules are different as statute barred debts cease to exist (and creditors aren’t allowed to ask you for payment) after five years, unless the court has issued a Decree before the five year limitation period.

The Limitation Act doesn’t apply to debts owed to the Crown such as income tax. Because the act prevents court action, some debts such as benefits overpayments and Council Tax sometimes use different collection methods that don’t involve the court, which means the debt can be collected even after six years have passed.

When can the Limitations Act 1980 be used?
The act states that when ALL of the following conditions are met a debt cannot be enforced:

The creditor has not registered a County Court judgment (CCJ) against you
You (or with joint debts, you and the other person) have not made a payment in the last six or twelve years
You have not admitted the debt in writing in the last six or twelve years
What does ‘not enforceable’ actually mean?
If a debt is statute barred it isn’t ‘written off’ and it doesn’t disappear. If a debt is not enforceable it means that if a creditor tries to take you to court, you’ll be able to defend the case and you won’t get a CCJ. Creditors aren’t allowed to keep chasing a debt that is statute barred if they haven’t been in touch with you at all during the six year limitation period, but they can keep asking you for payments if they’ve been in regular contact. If you’ve changed address without telling the creditor or not opened the letters, this doesn’t mean that creditors haven’t tried to contact you.

Some creditors, such as the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions), have legal powers which allow them to take money from wages or benefits without going to court. They can still do this even if the limitation period has passed.

What to do if you think your debt is statute barred
The thing with a statute barred debt is that the burden of proof is with the creditor to prove you do have to pay it, not for you to prove you don’t. If a creditor has contacted you and you definitely know the debt is statute barred you should write to the creditor to tell them.

Linky

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Debt consolidated - ccj Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Groove wrote:

When was the last time you spoke or paid them prior to this last contact?

Quote:

What is statute barred debt?
Statute barred debt refers to a debt that’s not enforceable because the time a creditor has to chase payment has passed. This is outlined under the Limitation Act 1980.

The act is not a way for people to avoid paying debts. If your debt is not statute barred there’s no way to use the Limitations Act to avoid paying it. But non-enforceable debts are sometimes pursued by debt collection companies when they shouldn’t be, so it helps to know where you stand.

How long can a creditor chase a debt for?
Under the Limitation Act 1980 a creditor has six years to chase most unsecured unpaid debts, or twelve years for some mortgage shortfalls. This ‘limitation period’ starts from the time of your last payment or acknowledgement of the debt, not the total length of time you’ve been making payments. If a court judgment (CCJ) has been registered against you before the limitation period has passed it can be enforced at any point. There is no limitations period for a CCJ.

For Scottish debts the rules are different as statute barred debts cease to exist (and creditors aren’t allowed to ask you for payment) after five years, unless the court has issued a Decree before the five year limitation period.

The Limitation Act doesn’t apply to debts owed to the Crown such as income tax. Because the act prevents court action, some debts such as benefits overpayments and Council Tax sometimes use different collection methods that don’t involve the court, which means the debt can be collected even after six years have passed.

When can the Limitations Act 1980 be used?
The act states that when ALL of the following conditions are met a debt cannot be enforced:

The creditor has not registered a County Court judgment (CCJ) against you
You (or with joint debts, you and the other person) have not made a payment in the last six or twelve years
You have not admitted the debt in writing in the last six or twelve years
What does ‘not enforceable’ actually mean?
If a debt is statute barred it isn’t ‘written off’ and it doesn’t disappear. If a debt is not enforceable it means that if a creditor tries to take you to court, you’ll be able to defend the case and you won’t get a CCJ. Creditors aren’t allowed to keep chasing a debt that is statute barred if they haven’t been in touch with you at all during the six year limitation period, but they can keep asking you for payments if they’ve been in regular contact. If you’ve changed address without telling the creditor or not opened the letters, this doesn’t mean that creditors haven’t tried to contact you.

Some creditors, such as the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions), have legal powers which allow them to take money from wages or benefits without going to court. They can still do this even if the limitation period has passed.

What to do if you think your debt is statute barred
The thing with a statute barred debt is that the burden of proof is with the creditor to prove you do have to pay it, not for you to prove you don’t. If a creditor has contacted you and you definitely know the debt is statute barred you should write to the creditor to tell them.

Linky

Aye I thought they were possibly statute barred. I paid towards the debt with the correct account number to a previous collection company till 2013.

I've never paid towards the new account number as far as I know, which if it was created early 2011 then perhaps I have some grounds.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Debt consolidated - ccj Reply with quote

Groove wrote:

Aye I thought they were possibly statute barred. I paid towards the debt with the correct account number to a previous collection company till 2013.

I've never paid towards the new account number as far as I know, which if it was created early 2011 then perhaps I have some grounds.

I think given that you paid till 2013, then it's not...

I would seek proper advice from the likes of Step Change. Who come as recommended by banks credit teams Thumbs Up

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Debt consolidated - ccj Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Groove wrote:

I think given that you paid till 2013, then it's not...

I would seek proper advice from the likes of Step Change. Who come as recommended by banks credit teams Thumbs Up

Yes, sorry, what I wrote was unclear. I meant I hadn't pairs anything in 6 years but looking at my paperwork found out I was paying some off till 2013.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Groove wrote:
Meh, I've filed a defence. If it doesn't get anywhere I've not lost anything at this stage. If I get somewhere then great, if I don't I'll just stump up the £3k and not get a ccj anyway.

And mpd72, sometimes life's a cunt and you get made redundant a year after taking a loan and having a baby. Id rather have fed the mouths of my family than anything else at that point in time. Now it looks to have caught up I'll pay up, but when I wrote to and phoned the claimants for information regarding this debt and them not being able to prove anything at that time I might as well take a chance with nothing to lose.

And you never had an opportunity to pay back the debt at any time in the following 6 plus years? Neutral

Its funny because money seem's to come before moral fibre with a lot of people these days...
Worst part is they don't seem to think it reflects upon their character Rolling Eyes .

I dunno. Maybe I'm just some kind of mug but I would have pay back money loaned in order to feed my family because you know... its's the right thing to do if you can afford it?
But hey, if you can try get away with it... let everyone else absorb the hit because 'nothin to loose innit' and 'why should I have to pay it back money I borrowed'.

Sorry, a bit of a rant here because I would be ashamed to admit I was trying to squirm out of my obligations like a bloody child...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
J0Al1 wrote:
Why was the debt sold?

It's usually wise to continue paying something, even if it's only a tiny portion of the amount it's supposed to be.
Some companies will get arsey but most won't go legal whilst they can see you're trying to meet your obligations, and some will even help out by reducing the (usually) horrendous penalty rate for repayment failure...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1