Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dead electrics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:11 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Dead electrics Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Ive just brought a bike knowing it had a few issues but it was running great on a test ride.

The bike refuses to start, no lights,horn,indicators or spark on the plug - the starter does work.

I discovered the wiring harness is well past its prime (brittle and cracked wires), so I'm replacing all the wires (1 at a time) and so far so good.

My problem is I dont know where i can get a new CDI,coil,generator,etc.

The bike is a CPI Sprint 125, which was the only local bike I can afford that has a dual seat.

Can anyone please help?
I need this running so I can collect my son at the weekends.

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:19 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was running great on a test ride

And all of a sudden it's not? Seems a bit odd really!

Check the fuses first. Also visually inspect the wiring loom across the entire bike. Any sign of home repairs? Botched wiring?

If the bike was running great and now it isn't I wouldn't go looking for faulty CDI's just yet. More like a dead fuse or wire earthing where it ought not to.

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:38 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was running before i brought it, the seller (a young lad) was upset with it not starting, so i thought : whats the worst that can happen.....

Ive been all over the bike for the last few weeks, checked earthing, fitted new battery, found intermittent connections in the harness, and only 2 of the 3 wires from the stator producing any voltage...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with honda dylan I bought cheap due to not starting. After consulting a wiring diagram and armed with a multimeter I followed the power from the battery to the ignition switch, I found a broken terminal connector at the ignition switch which was making intermittent contact that a broke. Then the starter switch was duff. For parts try lexmoto part it got pictures and is based on on cmpo ie chinese motor part online. It show cdi' s and other parts that might be useful
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:46 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New loom, £34 delivered, last one available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231910249077

Probably cheaper than the battery that you threw at it. Definitely cheaper than randomly replacing multiple parts.

Please tell me that you have a multimeter.

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
I had a similar problem with honda dylan I bought cheap due to not starting. After consulting a wiring diagram and armed with a multimeter I followed the power from the battery to the ignition switch, I found a broken terminal connector at the ignition switch which was making intermittent contact that a broke. Then the starter switch was duff. For parts try lexmoto part it got pictures and is based on on cmpo ie chinese motor part online. It show cdi' s and other parts that might be useful

Thank you for the tip about lexmoto Smile

I'd replaced the ignition switch with a known working one, its only intermittent when the handlebars are moved.

On the harness there are places where the copper can be seen where the insulation has cracked...

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:41 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
New loom, £34 delivered, last one available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231910249077

Probably cheaper than the battery that you threw at it. Definitely cheaper than randomly replacing multiple parts.

Please tell me that you have a multimeter.

Thank you, that ebay link was great, its on order now
The battery was one I had spare, so no cost there - yup my multimeter is present, unlike my O'scope Sad

Ive had bikes 20 years now, but not been able to ride for last 11 years due to poor health so im a bit rusty, cheers for your input
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1