Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leased Line/Network split

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 20:02 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Leased Line/Network split Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Some helpful info be great. A customer of ours, has just had a leased line installed onsite, and we have spent the last few weeks cabling and installing sockets into 20 units and 2 houses.

Now this goes live tomorrow, and he is renting the connection out. However we need to give every unit its own network seperate from each other.

What will be the best way of doing this? I was thinking giving them all a Dreytek AP810 and using the LAN-B option to create their own IP range.

Would a managed switch allow this (but expensive) or would we be able to use normal routers to make the new network.

Never had to do this big split before so unsure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you being paid to do it?

And how much are you offering for the advise?

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 20:13 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

not getting paid anything other than my wage. in fact our company fucked this up big time, promised the customer there be no BT fees for building works, and its now costing us 9K for the work BT had to do. Shocked Laughing Laughing

My company is a joke, they take jobs on they have no clue how to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 03:01 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer 3 managed switch will be fine, otherwise depending on the draytek, enable a 2nd network however, depends again on how it's coming in. Does the 2nd line have it's own router, if so, layer 3 switch is the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:01 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the end customers require public IP addresses? how many do you have? Are looking to give each unit an IP and one each for the two houses? if so it looks like you would want at least a /27 with some room for expansion. Or is this just a basic needs internet situation?

Much depends on the use of the units I guess but as others have said a layer 3 switch with each port having its own VLAN could be the most cost effective solution. Having a separate draytec at each unit might be a bit of an admin nightmare which by the sounds of it might not have been priced in to the job. IMHO the best option would be to give the leasees(?) of the unit a tail from the L3 switch with a static IP and tell them that they will need to provide their own routers if they want more services like DHCP Wifi etc.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:01 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
Do the end customers require public IP addresses? how many do you have? Are looking to give each unit an IP and one each for the two houses? if so it looks like you would want at least a /27 with some room for expansion. Or is this just a basic needs internet situation?

that sound about right.....
or at-least the simplest way of going about it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1