Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington) Reply with quote

Pretty sure I was followed by the 2-up maxi-scooter posse on Monday afternoon. Laughing

It was about 3.20pm and I was on the GSXR taking it easy on the way out of Croydon along the A232. Pretty rare for me to be travelling along there at that time on that bike but I was taking it on a shakedown run before a trackday. I guess the shiny sportsbike attracted the attention of some local undesirables.

Anyway, I'm pretty vigilant with the mirrors and noticed a PTW a few cars back. Did a few overtakes and the maxi-scoot shadowed the overtakes exactly. A red light at a pedestrian crossing let the gap close up and sure enough; two track-suited scumbags with balaclavas under their helmets.

I was careful to keep the bike moving and allow a gap to the cars in front. Once the light changed I didn't give them a chance to keep up and I was off and into hyperdrive. Nice open roads and too close to the motorway for them to catch up.

Luckily for me I'm used to getting followed on bikes after growing up in Medway (chav-scum central) and I can stay pretty relaxed. I can imagine a newbie would be easy prey though. Confused

Anyway, cool story bro and all that. Nothing happened but I wasn't about to let anything happen regardless. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:34 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if 'I was being followed by what looked like a pair of motorcycle thieves' would be an acceptable defense for speeding these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:43 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I wonder if 'I was being followed by what looked like a pair of motorcycle thieves' would be an acceptable defense for speeding these days.

Nah, easier for the coppers to throw the book at you for speeding than actually confront the issue of armed motorcycle theft

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:07 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Nah, easier for the coppers to throw the book at you for speeding than actually confront the issue of armed motorcycle theft

Whether or not to throw the book at you is something for the courts to decide.

The very same courts who hand out the weak sentences to bikelife when plod catch them.

A day in court for speeding vs being bikelifed by ped scum who're most likely armed with knifes, larger knives, swords, angle grinders or fire extinguishers is an easy choice.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that coppers decide policy, or that I'd do anything other than scream away regardless of speeding consequences if i had thieving pedboiz on my tail - you just won't get any leniency if caught speeding for that reason as it's an easy tug (ooh-er) for the copper who stops you and an easy conviction in court for the mongoloids who pass sentence.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

There is no defence. Strict liability offence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
MarJay wrote:

There is no defence. Strict liability offence.

Mitigation then I guess.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It would be easier to just tell 'em you thought you were being papped or that you needed a shit.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
MarJay wrote:

It would be easier to just tell 'em you thought you were being papped or that you needed a shit.

Thumbs Up Just need to earn enough to afford Freeman's fees..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Duress is a defence to most crimes short of murder.

Fear of harm has been explicitly allowed as a defence on appeal to driving "at great speed and recklessly", amusingly enough to escape from Dibble. See Regina vs Conway 1988.

The issue is demonstrating that fear. It's not explicit in law, but the Law Commission's recommendation is that the defence prove it on the balance of probability in order to adduce it as reasonable doubt.

Like TIE fighters, pikeys tend to come from behind, so even helmet cam footage may not help.

However, I have ridden through reds before and will do so again if I am in any doubt about the intentions of nearby neds or drunken jakeys.

There's one of the latter that infests the start of my urban commute, and a couple of times now he's shambled onto the road towards me howling "Mumble squirrels bastards NINJA! jumble urgle HEY NINJA!"

Harmless loon, or violent mentalist? I'm not waiting around to find out.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:07 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they seem to be appearing in Orpington currently. I saw a group 2 up on a ped and a cbr125 with no plates ragging around looking in gardens. Police do fuck all Thumbs Down

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:11 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: re Reply with quote

not sure if should post this publically, but this is why I carry a knife when I ride in my backpack. live in croydon, commute in central london

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
not sure if should post this publically, but this is why I carry a knife when I ride in my backpack. live in croydon, commute in central london

Do you reckon that they're going to hang around long enough to allow you to unpack your offensive weapon.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington) Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Pretty rare for me to be travelling along there at that time on that bike but I was taking it on a shakedown run before a trackday.

Not using the VFR this time then? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Duress is a defence to most crimes short of murder.

Fear of harm has been explicitly allowed as a defence on appeal to driving "at great speed and recklessly", amusingly enough to escape from Dibble. See Regina vs Conway 1988.

The issue is demonstrating that fear. It's not explicit in law, but the Law Commission's recommendation is that the defence prove it on the balance of probability in order to adduce it as reasonable doubt.

There are so many accounts of people being jacked all over the internet now, I wonder if you could gather a number of these and use them as part of your defence, i.e. why you were in fear. If you could demonstrate your own belief that these accounts were true, maybe it wouldn't even matter if they actually were - they were still enough to give you that fear. I would think you'd have to use examples from the area you were riding through when you committed the 'offence'. Question
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:12 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Orpington and have had a bike stolen from outside my workplace. Two pikeys tried to steal a work mates' Pan european a couple of months back, it's dump round here.

Even though my bike is chained up using an Almax going through a wall anchor I still worry about it, this post has reminded me I need to get a GPS.

Thanks for the heads up, must remember to keep getting my mirrors while travelling through the jungle - until I get to the M25.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I would think you'd have to use examples from the area you were riding through when you committed the 'offence'. Question

I'm not aware of it being an issue round here, yet. Edinburgh, maybe.

Bike thefts aren't even that bad, yet. Edinburgh, for sure.

However, I do not intend to be the first. And there will be a first.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'm not aware of it being an issue round here, yet. Edinburgh, maybe.

Bike thefts aren't even that bad, yet. Edinburgh, for sure.

However, I do not intend to be the first. And there will be a first.

I hear Edinburgh's pretty bad for it Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Whether or not to throw the book at you is something for the courts to decide.

My experience of the process is:

Arrow the police throw every charge at you they can
Arrow the CPS decide what charges might actually stick
Arrow the courts then treat you worse than shoplifters and muggers

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:

Not using the VFR this time then? Laughing

Laughing Thankfully the GSXR is ready now, although the VFR did okay to be fair. Very Happy

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington) Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Pretty sure I was followed by the 2-up maxi-scooter posse on Monday afternoon. Laughing

It was about 3.20pm and I was on the GSXR taking it easy on the way out of Croydon along the A232. Pretty rare for me to be travelling along there at that time on that bike but I was taking it on a shakedown run before a trackday. I guess the shiny sportsbike attracted the attention of some local undesirables.

Anyway, I'm pretty vigilant with the mirrors and noticed a PTW a few cars back. Did a few overtakes and the maxi-scoot shadowed the overtakes exactly. A red light at a pedestrian crossing let the gap close up and sure enough; two track-suited scumbags with balaclavas under their helmets.

I was careful to keep the bike moving and allow a gap to the cars in front. Once the light changed I didn't give them a chance to keep up and I was off and into hyperdrive. Nice open roads and too close to the motorway for them to catch up.

Luckily for me I'm used to getting followed on bikes after growing up in Medway (chav-scum central) and I can stay pretty relaxed. I can imagine a newbie would be easy prey though. Confused

Anyway, cool story bro and all that. Nothing happened but I wasn't about to let anything happen regardless. Thumbs Up

I had to Googlay what the A232 was - turns out it is the 'Shirley/Wickham Road' as I know it. So where did the perps first appear - Shortlandsish or more towards Shirley?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington) Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
where did the perps first appear - Shortlandsish or more towards Shirley?

By the Princess Royal Hospital was where I first caught sight of them in the mirrors. Not that it really matters I suppose..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly but you'd still have your bike.

There's no shortage of photos from newspapers and videos from youtube that show what you decided to speed away from.

If you got done for speeding away from bikelife then you could probably sell the story to tabloids. Razz

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Followed by thieving chavscum (Bromley / Orpington) Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Minty wrote:
where did the perps first appear - Shortlandsish or more towards Shirley?

By the Princess Royal Hospital was where I first caught sight of them in the mirrors. Not that it really matters I suppose..

Ok, so very not Croydon so yay me. I'd half expect they would patrol their patch in terms of knowing rat runs etc for the area.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you got done for speeding away from bikelife then you could probably sell the story to tabloids. Razz

https://dailymailsadface.tumblr.com/

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

Do you reckon that they're going to hang around long enough to allow you to unpack your offensive weapon.

Depends if he asks nicely or not
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3