Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

Crashed into floor, (see spill counter) and somehow bent forks. Need new forks obviously, might need new front axle, new mud guard, think the yokes are okay, but I wouldn't know if they weren't.

If it is just the forks, that is like 80-90 quid tops, not a write-off is it?

Anything I have to do insurance wise, third-party fire and theft only, with a 400 pound excess, not anything I can do, do I need to declare?
Is it a write off? Should I just sell it for parts and buy a similar one, and just transfer the insurance over?

All photos are taken with the handlebars in line with the rest of the bike, bit of a wheel alignment issue as you might be able to tell

Last edited by mkjackary on 13:00 - 24 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgpile.com/n1WiJo.jpg

https://i.imgpile.com/n1WsLC.jpg

https://i.imgpile.com/n1WYuj.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

I would expect that wheel to need straightening too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
Anything I have to do insurance wise, third-party fire and theft only, with a 400 pound excess, not anything I can do, do I need to declare?

Er... no, and hell no.

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I would expect that wheel to need straightening too.

The wheel it's self is okay, I think the forks might be a bit out of alignment though

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

Simple method to check if its bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswEByfOVi4

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
Crashed into floor

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

tickled me

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Simple method to check if its bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswEByfOVi4

did he really need to do that to see it was bent... that is so bent its head of the gay and bisexual alliance!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would worry about what else has been impacted. That bike has hit something pretty hard to bend the forks like that (maybe slid into the curb while still doing a quite significant speed). Entirely possible that enough force to do that to the forks would have bent the frame.

All the best

Katy

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Crashed ER-5, forks are bent massively Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
mkjackary wrote:
Crashed into floor

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

tickled me

Indeed. Those forks have the appearance of being crashed into the floor nose first, from about 30 feet up.

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No curb, and it didn't hit anything apart from the floor, so no fucking clue how it happened. Will review footage and see if that reveals anything

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be having a very careful look at the headstock welds for damage. Cracks in the paint etc.

If you're going to re-use the fork lowers, have a good look for cracks eminating from the edges of the split where it pinches round the axle. I once had one split right acros there following a head on.

Also check the steering lock stops are intact.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd be having a very careful look at the headstock welds for damage. Cracks in the paint etc.

Agreed.

Forks and yoke are deffo gonna have to come off for visual inspection. Run your hand along the headstock, feeling for any ripples or buckles. Check for cracks in the welds - with an inspection lamp.

Check the wheel for alignment or runout. Then source decent s/hand forks and rebuild. An afternoon's work (including T break!)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
No curb, and it didn't hit anything apart from the floor, so no fucking clue how it happened. Will review footage and see if that reveals anything

With vaguely healthy forks it would take a hefty impact to bend them like that. No way just falling on to the floor (assuming not falling from a few stories up).

Possible exception would be if they have been badly bent previously, and then subject to a real bodge job straightening them

All the best

Katy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Forks and yoke are deffo gonna have to come off for visual inspection. Run your hand along the headstock, feeling for any ripples or buckles. Check for cracks in the welds - with an inspection lamp.

Check the wheel for alignment or runout. Then source decent s/hand forks and rebuild. An afternoon's work (including T break!)

Can be hard to tell visually, my yokes looked straight but when I put the new forks in the top didn't line up with the bottom on one side. I'd guess at bottom yoke damage with that bend. Front wheel might be alright.

We need the video Smile

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked the axle and that is bent too, fuck a nut.

so a whole set of forks can be had on the ebay for 90> quid. new front spindle/axle is 10> quid.

Frame looks okay, top and bottom yoke look fine, will bin the whole fork setup, get a whole new set.

Pretty sure as I binned it, the front wheel of my bike hit the back right wheel of the lorry and that caused the bend.

I was going about 65ish as I saw the lorry, and I slowed to about 35 before binning it.

Basically I want to know if it is worth repairing or not. If it is just the axle and forks, then that is 100 down the drain and a few days work for me, anything else and it might not be worth my while.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do need a bottom yoke they're cheap, but it significantly increases the job time. Eg:

https://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/15/13/82/47/progre10.jpg

You can see the bent fork on the floor, looks very similar to yours in terms of bend/position (that's why I suspect bottom yoke as well).

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:08 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
If you do need a bottom yoke they're cheap, but it significantly increases the job time. Eg:

You can see the bent fork on the floor, looks very similar to yours in terms of bend/position (that's why I suspect bottom yoke as well).

Yes, I have had a look, no bending or cracking or anything obvious on there, video is up now so you can see for yourself, I am pretty sure it goes down, front wheel of bike hits rear wheel of truck, then spins around and lays there.

https://youtu.be/CzzLTqjS1vk

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:

I would come out with "terrible observation" but with a crash like that I have to assume you are incapable of observing anything.

Anyway how on earth did this go from "crashed into floor" to "heres a vidya of me(or a video Tritey found) crashing into the back of a parked truck"

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy another one and use this one as a donor.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Buy another one and use this one as a Become an organ donor.

FTFY Thumbs Up

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:55 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
mkjackary wrote:

I would come out with "terrible observation" but with a crash like that I have to assume you are incapable of observing anything.

Anyway how on earth did this go from "crashed into floor" to "heres a vidya of me(or a video Tritey found) crashing into the back of a parked truck"

Untill I watched it back I, nor anyone of the 5 witnesses thought I had hit anything, you can't see that I hit the truck, I am just assuming as how else would the forks have bent.

Nope, just comming round a corner too fast, I wouldn't say poor observation, I would say poor decision making to go round a blind corner (albeit that I knew) that fast. 65-70 indicated, around 55-60 actual.

Anyway, wanna criticise my riding that is fine, but put it in the crash thread, happy to bend over and take it without lube from anyone on the internet, but this thread if possible I'd like from now on, to stay on topic of fixing my bike, need it up and running (or a new bike) as soon as possible.

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:56 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
Buy another one and use this one as a Become an organ donor.

FTFY Thumbs Up
already am Thumbs Up

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So going to buy a set of used, but fully put together forks, if I do that, and assuming yoke and everything else is fine, is it just a case of swapping it over, or will the fork oil need changing or something?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
So going to buy a set of used, but fully put together forks, if I do that, and assuming yoke and everything else is fine, is it just a case of swapping it over, or will the fork oil need changing or something?

Depends on the condition of the forks. I stuck a second hand pair on (from a similar mileage bike) and they were fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3