Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Santander ferry question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Santander ferry question Reply with quote

It should be ok to leave luggage on the bike during the crossing shouldn't it? Apparently there is no general access to the vehicle hold during the crossing. I'm planning on having one small bag packed with what I might want on the boat, and just detach that one and take with me. I was also thinking of locking my helmet and jacket to the bike.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Santander ferry question Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It should be ok to leave luggage on the bike during the crossing shouldn't it? Apparently there is no general access to the vehicle hold during the crossing. I'm planning on having one small bag packed with what I might want on the boat, and just detach that one and take with me. I was also thinking of locking my helmet and jacket to the bike.

In theory, yes, it'll be fine.

Locked lid and locked boxes, no problem.

I wouldn't leave my passport and wallet in a tank bag though!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Santander ferry question Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

In theory, yes, it'll be fine.

Locked lid and locked boxes, no problem.

I wouldn't leave my passport and wallet in a tank bag though!

It'll be soft luggage.

No, I'll keep documents, camera and gadgets etc with me. Obviously I'll have my wallet with me. If I'm not chronically sea sick, I might want to eat! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left the Kriega on the bike during ferry crossings with no dramas.

Not sure I would leave the lid locked to it though. If the crossing gets a bit rough and it starts swinging about smacking against the bike... I always like to keep the things with me I need to ride. Somebody steals my boxers and socks - good luck to them. Riding gear (especially lid) and other essentials going missing leaves you stuck.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Matt.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an overnight ferry from Kiel to Oslo last year, I packed a small overnight bag and made sure I had my valuables with me. I took my helmet and bike kit too as I had a room for the night to dump everything in and I left the rest of my stuff in Kriega packs strapped to the bike.

All was fine, they locked up the vehicle decks and everything was exactly how I left it the following morning.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:22 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take the overnight bag from the top box and put the helmets in it or if there's too much crap in the top box I'll lock them to the bike making sure they can't move.

devonboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:25 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Santander Ferry Reply with quote

We use Brittany ferries a lot alway's used Oxford soft panniers left on the bike with no problems. As said have a bag with all the essential's in and take helmets and riding gear to the cabin.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks folks. I'll take lid and jacket to my cabin then.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:38 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're sailing on that crossing on Sunday. looking forward to getting back onto Spanish roads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
We're sailing on that crossing on Sunday. looking forward to getting back onto Spanish roads.

Tuesday for me. Looking forward to my first time on Spanish roads! Not looking forward to the ferry crossing Sick

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 05:55 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:

Tuesday for me. Looking forward to my first time on Spanish roads! Not looking forward to the ferry crossing Sick

I'm not crazy about ferry journeys either but we've got a close to 700 mile stint to get to Plymouth so going to just chill out on the boat.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:03 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't forget to take a change of clothes and toiletries to the cabin. The Santander ferry is decent, but it's a long time. You'll know it when you hit the Bay of Biscay Sick

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the overnight crossing home from Santandera few times and had a blast.

Straight to the Bar, pound the brews for a few hours, spot of dinner, few more beers, then pass out in the cabin for the remainder of the journey Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
I've done the overnight crossing home from Santandera few times and had a blast.

Straight to the Bar, pound the brews for a few hours, spot of dinner, few more beers, then pass out in the cabin for the remainder of the journey Thumbs Up

That's the same as our tried and tested plan Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack the thread briefly. What sort of money are we talking for a ferry crossing to Spain?
Thumbs Up Karma

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About £250 for one way Shocked

That includes a cabin, which you have to have now I think.

If I'd booked it for a week later (i.e. in June), I think it was about £50 more.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on it now. I left all my gear helmet boots leathers the works strapped to the bike and just went up in the clothes i had on. I was too mean to pay for a cabin. If you get the 'pont aven' the very back of deck 7 is the place to go for all you can eat breakfast. It was a bit more expensive but I made it last nearly 2 hours and got to sit in a nice restaurant at a decent window seat.

I'll let you know what I find when I get back to the bike.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I left it (inside the ferry obviously!)
https://s18.postimg.org/6iw0hznk9/IMG_20170531_154459.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the top, smaller Kriega packed as an overnight bag; the big one and the tank bag stayed on the bike, and I did take lid and jacket to the cabin.

Starting to look like half of BCF is over here at the same time!

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, all was exactly as I had left it. I was coming home. Enjoy it - Spain is a magnificent country to see from a bike.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
About £250 for one way Shocked

That includes a cabin, which you have to have now I think.

If I'd booked it for a week later (i.e. in June), I think it was about £50 more.

I just had a look, one way + cabin didn't get much change out of £500. I'd rather fly there and rent a bike tbh.

The Spain via plym ferries used to be £130 each way.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time of year seems to make a big difference Itchy. I looked at going in the first week of June, and it was something like £50-£60 dearer. Moved my sailing date back to 30th May, and instantly, that price drop. £500 though?! Do they know something about you? Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rent a bike in spain .. check out these prices ... Neutral

https://www.imtbike.com/motorcycle-rentals/

https://www.hertzride.eu/

significantly cheaper to take your own ...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Time of year seems to make a big difference

is it not cheaper if you book early ... say january ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2