Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changed Oil level at 2500 miles but super dry wtf?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Valerian95 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:34 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hot metallic or strong burning oil smell is always ominous.

Are you sure it was topped up with the correct quantity? Any sign of it burning oil? Smokey exhaust?

Whatever, top it up to the max, let the engine turn over for a few secs (use the kill switch to stop the engine from firing up). Then start it. Don't rev it, let it settle and listen. Check it every 500 miles. It's a 50/50 chance the engine is fekked.
Valerian95 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
If very little or none comes out I am going to be a sweating very hard.

Take your time to look at if anything comes out with the oil as well, that might tell you a thing or two.

edit: like little metal pieces.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
NJD wrote:

Take your time to look at if anything comes out with the oil as well, that might tell you a thing or two.

edit: like little metal pieces.

What could that indicate?

Your engine is in more bits than was designed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the oil. I would flush out with cheapy Asda oil then put a decentish one in, Motul or the like. Make sure you put in the correct amount and check it on the dipstick, almost certainly with the dipstick resting on the threads (not screwed in) and bike level.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbr125? ride at the limit (of the engine) a lot by any chance? by that i mean high rpms..

my old 500 would not lose a drop through town riding for over 12months. I then did a few weeks on the motorway pushing the engine and it burned off half the sumps worth before i noticed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
cbr125? ride at the limit (of the engine) a lot by any chance? by that i mean high rpms..

my old 500 would not lose a drop through town riding for over 12months. I then did a few weeks on the motorway pushing the engine and it burned off half the sumps worth before i noticed.

Yes. there was a good fat chunk of dual carriageways and recently a little now on motorways- that stretches it to 10RPM just a little below redline- I think 750 miles went on that. Hmm wow how interesting the effect of high RPM's -it's completely devoured the oil! Thanks to all- I had no idea- for some mad reason thought the bike's usage of engine oil was just uniform no matter how you rode- silly when I think about it now... of course more lubricant is needed when the parts are moving faster and it's more stressed Doh!
just shows these things are really intended by manufacturer for in town riding.

No, in a 4 stroke engine you are perfectly correct, it should, theoretically, use no oil irrespective of riding style. However this is not a theoretical world.

My Trophy (ex demo, probably ranted from mile 1) uses nil, nada, not a drop irrespective of how I ride it. My Street Triple (run in exactly as the manufacturers guidelines) I had to regularly top up. There is no real rhyme or reason for how mch oil they use.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:05 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making us guess the bike.

A 125? No chance should you leave that for 5,000 miles between changes, let alone checking it. It's not one of the bikes that are known for devouring oil (CBF125, YZF-R125 spring to mind) but I'd be checking it every time I filled the tank, and changing every 1000 - 1500 miles or so. It's only a litre, and it's all that's stopping your engine from becoming a grenade.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:23 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had enough hints, what bike is it?

Either your manual is wrong, or you are reading it wrong, but I've never come across a manual that tells you to check your oil level every 2500 miles. They usually say check it weekly, or every time you fill up with fuel.

2500 miles is more likely to be the oil change interval. On a 125, I'd change it twice as often as that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
but what could have caused the oil to disappear like this? in 2000 miles? the heck? seriously unheard of.

You've obviously never heard of an FZR....

Is this Tritey again?

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 21:47 - 24 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still ignoring "what bike?"
At this point I'm declaring 'Tritey' and demanding to claim my 5 ponds.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Damnit, I edited in Tritey whilst you were posting...

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Commuter_Tim wrote:

Damnit, I edited in Tritey whilst you were posting...

We can both be right, and Tritey can still be losing his touch.
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed, he used to be entertaining. Folded arms

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
Workshop manual

Edit : Oh I realise you said check and it says change- so when it's decreasing every week I'm supposed to top up until full and then at the 5000 mile mark like it says just completely change the whole thing?

CBR125

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking, but you are checking the oil level when the bike is upright aren't you, not when it's tilted over on the pavement on it's side stand aren't you

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Just checking, but you are checking the oil level when the bike is upright aren't you, not when it's tilted over in the back of a council van (sniggers) on it's side stand aren't you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Yes. there was a good fat chunk of dual carriageways and recently a little now on motorways- that stretches it to 10RPM just a little below redline- I think 750 miles went on that. Hmm wow how interesting the effect of high RPM's -it's completely devoured the oil! Thanks to all- I had no idea- for some mad reason thought the bike's usage of engine oil was just uniform no matter how you rode- silly when I think about it now... of course more lubricant is needed when the parts are moving faster and it's more stressed Doh!
just shows these things are really intended by manufacturer for in town riding.

Take it as a lesson learned. I echo others advice of changing the oil much more frequently as its only a fiver or so a litre and could ensure your engine lasts that much longer.

Also, don't keep it at higher rpm if you are on the motorway (assume you dont have L plates and know the rules yes?). If it were me i'd be uber paranoid about mechanical failure when pushing the engine causing a lockup and sending me down the road. There is no shame in riding at 55-60 (lol)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2