Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cutting frame loop

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

classified-moto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Cutting frame loop Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm 90% through my project brat style 125. I've got a nice brat style seat and have moved indicators and tail light etc and now have a large frame loop extending out with no use for it at all. I've attached a picture but my bike doesn't have this seat anymore so it's much more visible

My question is, is it safe for the frame structurally if I were to cut it where the arrow is pointing to? I haven't got the money to have a loop welded at the minute so wondered if I were to cut it for now would it damage the strength of the frame

Thanks for the help

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:36 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you expect to get a MOT on this thing?
If so go read the SVA rules... modify the main structural member.. ie 'the frame' bike needs to be single-vehicle-approval, and re-registered.

What you are talking abut cutting BTW is the seat rails. Man backbone extends from the head-stock to the suspension mounts; rails around the engine are the 'engine cradle'.

Cut ANYTHING between the headstock and suspension mounts, you will certainly require SVA. abreviating the seat rails, you might just eek through regs, but READ THEM FIRST before you get the angry-grinder/hack-saw out! And yes, take outthe stay between the rails, the abreviated rails will need some-hoe bracing. Needn't be welded, if you are cunng a bolt-in cross member may be sufficient. But it will need bracing, especially if you have ditched anything else that might bridge & stiffen them like a steel mudguard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:44 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Do you expect to get a MOT on this thing?
If so go read the SVA rules... modify the main structural member.. ie 'the frame' bike needs to be single-vehicle-approval, and re-registered.

What you are talking abut cutting BTW is the seat rails. Man backbone extends from the head-stock to the suspension mounts; rails around the engine are the 'engine cradle'.

Cut ANYTHING between the headstock and suspension mounts, you will certainly require SVA. abreviating the seat rails, you might just eek through regs, but READ THEM FIRST before you get the angry-grinder/hack-saw out! And yes, take outthe stay between the rails, the abreviated rails will need some-hoe bracing. Needn't be welded, if you are cunng a bolt-in cross member may be sufficient. But it will need bracing, especially if you have ditched anything else that might bridge & stiffen them like a steel mudguard.

Did you look at the picture? He's talking about the frame loop at the back of the bike. Yes it will reduce the strength of the frame, but a 125 modified wanker-style isn't really going to ridden in a manner thats going to stress the frame so meh.

classified-moto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do ride it every day for work and a lot of careful attention has gone into it so not sure what the wanker style refers to but hey ho

Some people say cutting it won't make any difference to strength of frame and some say it definitely will do I don't know what to do. The loop just doesn't go with the look at all and looks ridiculous now the work has been done so if I could take it out that would be great

How would I brace it? What would I need?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
The loop just doesn't go with the look at all and looks ridiculous now the work has been done so if I could take it out that would be great

Like I said, wanker-style.

classified-moto wrote:

How would I brace it? What would I need?

Some sort of metal 'hoop' welded to the end of the frame...

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think you'll find that if you cut that off you'll need to put in a cross-brace for strength.

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

classified-moto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:54 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway of doing it without welding

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
Anyway of doing it without welding

Glue it on. Lets face it, the rest of the bike won't be dripping in build quality.

classified-moto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the really sensible and helpful replies

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
Thanks for all the really sensible and helpful replies

We try. Unfortuately you won't listen and will butcher your frame, losing all the residual value left of your bike after you bolted on a load of tat that didn't suit it's style.

classified-moto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:14 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great the amount of assumptions you've made when you haven't even seen my bike and don't even know what kind it is and what modifications have been carried out but you carry on

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
I think it's great the amount of assumptions you've made when you haven't even seen my bike and don't even know what kind it is and what modifications have been carried out but you carry on

I'd rather not see your bike because the resultant need for mind-bleach for shit like that is bringing on a stroke.

As you need to ask advice on cutting the rear hoop of a frame on a 125, it's clear that your idea of 'modification' is to just bolt on a load of tat badly after removing the stuff that 1) fits and 2) works.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Cutting frame loop Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
Hi all

I'm 90% through my project brat style 125

I think you answered any questions regarding the bikes appearance right there sunshine. I have no desire to see pics confirming how much it sucks.

Jay2903
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Cutting frame loop Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:
Hi all

I'm 90% through my project brat style 125. I've got a nice brat style seat and have moved indicators and tail light etc and now have a large frame loop extending out with no use for it at all. I've attached a picture but my bike doesn't have this seat anymore so it's much more visible

My question is, is it safe for the frame structurally if I were to cut it where the arrow is pointing to? I haven't got the money to have a loop welded at the minute so wondered if I were to cut it for now would it damage the strength of the frame

Thanks for the help

Very Happy no appreciation for someone messing with their 125 it seems. I'd leave it alone tbh mate. It probably wouldn't make that much difference to the strength of the frame though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it would have any serious effect and plenty of others have done similar things to the rear of a bike frame.
Welding a cross brace would be tidiest but in the meantime
you could close the loop with a bar and nuts/bolts

Or, just ignore it and cover it over/carry on regardless
as I expect it has some sort of cross member not too far from the shock top mounts anyway.

Show us the bike !

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

classified-moto wrote:

Much as I am scared to even be associated with, more in even slight agreement with the flexi-flyer fan.. describing your creation in the lexcon of the geeknik as Brat-Chop cafe-street scrambler, hipster wannabee 125 DOES sort of set the tone of our expectatons.... if not yours.... admission, then, you cant/dont have equipment/wont pay some-one else with either to weld, also speaks volumes about the level of met-fab skill and attention to detail you are prepared to put into this thing... you clam to be 'very high'!?!

As to knowing what 125 it might have started out as? Given how often such similar suggestions pop up, I would lay 8:1 odds on it's something Chinese, or heave forbid I am going to be seen on a thread agreeing not just with GT200, but the Borg too, and that idea is making me feint! But If it's anything BUT a generic Chink, probably CG clone/derivatve; then anything you do to it is likely to make it both less valuable, less reliable, and less rideable... only reason that that wouldn't apply to a generic chink, is that they have blugger all value or reliability to start with... so what the heck!

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Did you look at the picture? He's talking about the frame loop at the back of the bike.

Yup, hence offering clarification between seat-rails, back-bone and engine cradle.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yes it will reduce the strength of the frame, but a 125 modified wanker-style isn't really going to ridden in a manner thats going to stress the frame so meh.

Yes, again, and tend to agree, but I still reckon that the frame rails need bracing, some-how.. unbraced the rails will be free to flex, which might not unduly effect suspension performance, given the rather dire plungers usually employed on lo-po lightweight T-Shocks, but it's ot going to help much! While un-connstrained they can pass vibraton and flex itio anything bolted to them.. and a cheap GRP brat-cafe-tracker seat is likely to not sit well or long on them moving about....

They omitted the stay-bracing on my Cota-Frame when they redesigned it for the 1980 season, having magestied the cradle, and heavily braced the back of the back-bone, moving top-mounts to the apex, and it's a bugger for cracking plastic back mudguards at the end of the rails.... see similar on a lot of other 'specials' with abbreviated rails too... given how well this particular example is likely to be executed, and how long its likely to last n regular disservice, it IS probably no great concern.... but still.. best not to encourage his delusions too much me-thinks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

terrytibbs
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:12 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
describing your creation in the lexcon of the geeknik as Brat-Chop cafe-street scrambler, hipster wannabee 125 DOES sort of set the tone of our expectatons....

ZOMG some one used a WORD to describe their bike - quick call the fashion police, while your at it dob in all those people descibing their bikes as streetfighters, cafe racers, choppers..................

Teflon-Mike wrote:
you cant/dont have equipment/wont pay some-one else with either to weld, also speaks volumes about the level of met-fab skill and attention to detail you are prepared to put into this thing... you clam to be 'very high'!?!

Let me guess, you were born with a welding gun in one hand and a plasma cutters in the other so you didnt have to start somewhere, hate to think of the state of your mothers chuff after she pushed out that lot

Teflon-Mike wrote:
As to knowing what 125 it might have started out as?

Given the OP could have indicated whether mono shock or twin shocker do they really have to give exactly which model, when registered, colour of salesmans undies for you to answer a relatively simple question

Teflon-Mike wrote:
valuable, less reliable, and less rideable... only reason that that wouldn't apply to a generic chink, is that they have blugger all value or reliability to start with... so what the heck!

Oh noes the OP might do something out of the box, he might actually you know change stuff, it might affect the value (given you have no idea what he paid for it thats a big assumption), perhaps just perhaps he realizes this and just wants to aesthetically modify something to make it his own and bugger the residuals. Its not like he's bought dozens of shit box Honda 125 twins and poured well over the resale value into them when it would have been easier to buy a good example in the first place.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
but I still reckon that the frame rails need bracing, some-how.. unbraced the rails will be free to flex, which might not unduly effect suspension performance, given the rather dire plungers usually employed on lo-po lightweight T-Shocks, but it's ot going to help much!

Here is a picture of what is considered one of the best handling chassis's for around 30 years, it has held many engines from big singles, british twins, turned into cafe racers (on my god someones at it again, actually calling they're modified bike a NAME), it has held no end of japanese big bore 4's and even the occasional car engine. It has won races at the TT and no end of circuits. Please take a look at the rear of the frame and note the lack of....... https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c4/55/28/c4552825675994284fc77776db4a78fe.jpg

Teflon-Mike wrote:
They omitted the stay-bracing on my Cota-Frame waffle and blah removed magestied the cradle (wtf who magnetizes a frame) ,yet more verbal diarrhea... best not to encourage his delusions too much me-thinks.

Comparing a chassis designed for hard off road use to a road going light weight chassis is totally fair.....oh wait I think its you who delusional

[/img]

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:29 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrytibbs wrote:

Let me guess, you were born with a welding gun in one hand and a plasma cutters in the other so you didnt have to start somewhere, hate to think of the state of your mothers chuff after she pushed out that lot

You're going to fit in well here. Thumbs Up Laughing

Help us out and let us know what model 125 it is that you are planning on cutting up. The duplex frame which you've pictured has a bolt on seat subframe that might rely upon the hoop, however if your beast has a seat frame with a hefty brace for the seat as part of the main frame then you can probably get away with it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with "Cafe racers" is not people building actual Cafe Racers. It's the Hipster shit purporting to be one, and is in reality a perfectly good bike that's been mangled into a style that does not suit. It's done badly and with no regard to safety, rideability or performance, it's looks over everything, and those are done with a large set of goggles on.

If you have the skill and taste to build an actual cafe racer (go do some research first), then you'll find most people will appreciate the build, even if it's not a thing they would do themselves. I can appreciate a well build chopper even though there's not a chance you'll find me on one.

'Streetfighters' get the same treatment... it's not usually a 'fighter, it's a race rep that someone binned and hasn't got the time, skill or wallet to bring back. Usually badly done, though not to the extant that Hipster bikes are, it's visually unpleasant, rather than fucking dangerous.

If you're modifying frames, get and learn to use properly, a fucking welder, and Rustoleum is your friend.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what he said
I love to tinker and mod, especially on my 'built from spares parts lying about' old thing that has little intrinsic value

I don't have an issue with folk having fun modding their bikes
but It has to be fit for purpose.
People who remove mudguards, turn the handle bars upside down
add paint and shiny bollox then expect shit loads of dosh for a cafe racer unfit for normal use boil my piss.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrytibbs wrote:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=101687

Off topic. However, are you two related?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably OP has flounced, or ended up in a ditch?

If not, then at a minimum, I'd run a length of threaded rod across and just bolt (well nut) it together until funds allow for messing it up properly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1