Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Halfords tool sets better than £1/tool

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:28 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Halfords tool sets better than £1/tool Reply with quote

Back again as of 27/06/2017

Current code is 15TOOLS for 15% of the so-called 'half price'.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets

------------------

A new one - available as of 15/06/2017
£20 for their 28 piece 3/8th set via their ebay account:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201227296441

------------------
I'm not a fan, but I know plenty are:
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets

Use code BHTOOLS15 to get a further 15% off advertised prices.

Last edited by G on 19:57 - 27 Jun 2017; edited 2 times in total

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Advanced series tools the same as the Pro series (or new name for)?
As a rule I wouldn't recommend Halfords for quality toolsets but my set of Pro metric ratchet spanners have taken a huge amount of abuse over the years and not only still work but haven't stretched either.

For easy access off the shelf products with reasonable quality the average Joe can't go wrong with Halfords, at least some of their stuff isn't made of cheese and does work. Something that can't be said for many online retailers pedalling overpriced utter shite.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up

Ordered a small set as my big half inch one is a bloody great lump to lug around just to do small nuts and bolts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:44 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Are the Advanced series tools the same as the Pro series (or new name for)?
As a rule I wouldn't recommend Halfords for quality toolsets but my set of Pro metric ratchet spanners have taken a huge amount of abuse over the years and not only still work but haven't stretched either.

Basically; yes, they are the same.

In my experience the said ratchet spanners are the same as similar looking ones sold by others - I find the open ends don't tend to be great on these, so I've got a double ended (flexi-head) set from another brand I'm happy with. More hassle to get stuff sorted if broken, but cost a good bit less; and I'd only consider buying the Halfords ones at half price or better.

No 8mm or 21mm, but this is a very good price with the code on top:
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-18-piece-socket-set-3-8
If only I actually needed one Smile.

And yes, not made of cheese; nice finish. But I don't like the 12 point sockets and their ratchets can be pretty poor.

Also; note that recently the 200 piece set was up at £150 (this is very slightly cheaper with the code) - as ever, only even consider it if the tools are under £1/tool - their 'full price' is just marketing BS to fool foolish people who think they're really up at 'half price'.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one of their cheaper socket/ ratchet sets for about 10 years now and *touches wood has stood up to my ham fisted attempts at bodgery - I may have used the ratchet as a hammer a few times Shocked

I have replaced it now with 170 piece set were the ratchets are way nicer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:41 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago the 3/8th ratchet lasted about half an hour.

However, to be fair the 1/4 ratchet from the same set is still going, while my Draper Expert one did drop it's guts (it was physically dropped on to tarmac, but not from a great height).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still more expensive than the lidl set and looks like it has less of a range of tools (the 200pc set).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:53 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Still more expensive than the lidl set and looks like it has less of a range of tools (the 200pc set).

Yes; this has imperial tools too.

I haven't had that specific Lidl set, but have had similar sets.

For the price they offer great value for money, providing their tolerances are ok for their sockets. (I actually had a problem with a wall drive set, which was worse than other cheap non-wall drive ones!)

The Halfords is definitely better quality, but for those on a limited budget the Lidl one is probably a better bet for the money.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
M.C wrote:

Yes; this has imperial tools too.

I haven't had that specific Lidl set, but have had similar sets.

For the price they offer great value for money, providing their tolerances are ok for their sockets. (I actually had a problem with a wall drive set, which was worse than other cheap non-wall drive ones!)

The Halfords is definitely better quality, but for those on a limited budget the Lidl one is probably a better bet for the money.

Is that for all those Imperial bolts you get on modern Japanese bikes (according to Arcane)? Smile I'm of the opinion you're much more likely to lose tools than wear them out, so paying double for a lifetime guarantee doesn't interest me.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:57 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
their 'full price' is just marketing BS to fool foolish people who think they're really up at 'half price'.

Whistle

Also, that's £85 with the code for the 120 piece. Imperial sockets can be sacrificed for hammering on to stuff, welding on etc.

As I say; personally I'm not a fan.

I've mentioned else where that I saw a bike advertised on offer which I think in the small print mentioned something like that it was available at full price for one month at 50 (out of 450) stores.
So there was under a 1% chance you could ever have bought that for full price - and likely they didn't actually have it on display at the time, just a couple sat in the back.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:27 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it isnt cheap, some of it is. 3/8 socket set for £10.06 is epic, but also sold out.

I bought my 150 piece pro kit 15 years ago when it was half price and paid £99. I've rebuilt the 3/8 and 1/4 ratchet twice in that time and they've been abused.

Broken bits (3) exchanged without question and nothing else has ever caused an issue. Still my only socket set now and wouldnt hesitate to buy more of their tools, however the selection in some of the advanced range is a little odd.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked up the 28pce for £21 something with G's discount code.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-28-piece-metric-socket-set-3-8

That is as cheap as chips for a decent socket set.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:20 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the flexi-head spanner set's not bad value with the code for £34..
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/halfords-advanced-9-piece--ratchet-spanner-set

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Think the flexi-head spanner set's not bad value with the code for £34..
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/halfords-advanced-9-piece--ratchet-spanner-set

I've got the same set but with fixed head. As long as you are sensible where you use it and don't use them as flogging spanners they are fine.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-28-piece-metric-socket-set-3-8

I've got the older Pro badged variant of that. I like it a lot - it's just the right size for almost any job on the bike, without lugging around useless bits that were added to cheaply bump up the headline component count. I think my son's small Bahco set is nicer to use (with a much finer ratchet), but that doesn't have the deep sockets that occasionally are very useful.

CG Sam
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:11 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I will say for the advanced/professional range is they take a load of abuse and the lifetime warranty is ace. Use it mostly at home, have some bits at work and most has lived up to the job well (refurb diesel engines). Biggest shame is so much is 12 point sockets.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG Sam wrote:
What I will say for the advanced/professional range is they take a load of abuse and the lifetime warranty is ace. Use it mostly at home, have some bits at work and most has lived up to the job well (refurb diesel engines). Biggest shame is so much is 12 point sockets.

I'm very much a 12 point socket person for anything worked on by hand. I'm only really interested in six points when using powered tools.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the advanced 200 set there are some 6 and 12 sided, plus proper impact sockets.

Lifetime warranty was the decider, only used it for one piece where the chrome flaked and painfully embedded into my finger. After inspection all the other bits are fine.

It was £150 in 2014.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

i did this, but also discovered that i had some old gift vouchers from Eon for some reward scheme bollocks, £17 worth. so it actually cost me £4.25!

winner Mr. Green

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:45 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the top post - £20 for the 28 piece set on their ebay account as of 15/06/2017:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201227296441

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG Sam wrote:
i've got a full set of halfords sockets ( 1/2 3/8 1/4 ) and they're all 6 point?
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:43 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of them in the big set at least aren't.

Some time ago I bought what claimed to be a 12 point 'wall drive' 3/8th which was absolutely terrible - was in their pro range too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:56 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1